• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finished first WC - bad temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dawgdoc

Ok guys, first WC project is completed! Still needs ALOT of tweaking, but all of the basic constuction/assembly is done.

Full system is Q6600, P5K dlx, 8800 GTS G92, 2 X 1 gb mushkin PC8500, Corsair 520hx, 2 X 320gb 7200.10 in RAID 0.
Cooling is: D-tek FuZion with washer and quad accelerator nozzle, MCW60 + DD Fatboys + swifttech ramsinks, PA 120.3 + EK G3/8 barbs, D5 vario, Micro-Res + DD Fatboy barbs, Tygon 7/16ID 3/8OD

I have some temp issues though.....

Ambient is 24c

CPU idle is 44/44/42/42 (Q6600 9 X 400 for 3.6Ghz), and load with P95 small FFT is 68/68/63/63 at 1.46 Vcore in BIOS.
Thats the same as my TRUE 120 on my other case which I felt was a sweatbox.

GPU idle is 40C (8800 GTS G92) and load is 45C. Clocks are 800/2000/1100.

These temps are WAY too high IMH
I have bled the system, but Im sure there could be more air bubbles somewhere. Ive turned it every which way you could possibly think of and shaken it so much my shoulders are sore LOL.....

I have new fans on the way (Yate Loon 12DH-12 from Petras) that reviewed very well on the XS fan review to replace the Antec tricools Im currently using.

I think that my Radiator mount/placement could be an issue. From top to bottom here is how it is mounted on the top of my case on the inside. RAD -> Neoprene Gasket -> Fans attached with #6X1/2 inch screws -> Fans directly attached to top of case with fan case screws. Do I need a shroud to move the fans further away from the radiator? The fans are on top of the rad in a pull configuration.....would I get better results moving them to the bottom in a push config?

Also, the hole I cutout for the rad at the top of the case is less than perfect. Cosmetically it looks good since the radgrill is covering it, but I made a simple rectangle that was about 1/8inch smaller than the screw holes on the PA120.3 This leaves approximately 1/4 inch (or so..??) of fan on the periphery which is covered by the aluminum top. Is this significant?

GPU temps are ok, but I think thats likely because its a G92 and not a G80 and produces significantly less heat. I still think it should be cooler though.

Pics to follow later today! I still need a TON of wire management but didnt make sense to start since Im going to be pulling out all of the fans later this week, and wanted to settle up with temps first.

Thx!!

Your fans pull case air through and out the top?

Did you seat the block then take it off to see if the thermal paste spread properly?

Your fans pull case air through and out the top?

Did you seat the block then take it off to see if the thermal paste spread properly?

fans pull air thru the rad and out the top of the case.

have not remounted the CPU block yet for several reasons.

1. GPU temps are high as well. A bad GPU mount will not cause high GPU temps so I doubt thats the culprit.

2. Not sure if I need to drain entire system for a CPU block remount, or if it would be safe to leave the water filled tubing GENTLY dangling off to the side while I clean/prep/remount.

Usually you can reseat the blocks without draining but you need to be careful.

Are you sure your pump is running at max output?

Tygon 7/16ID 3/8OD
I don't think so!

Yes, remount the CPU block. Do it until you can repeatedly get the lowest temp.

A shroud would help if the fan tips are blocked by the overhang from the top case hole you cut.

I also suapect hot case air going through the rad.
Or perhaps it's a case fan orientation problem, Too much exhaust, and the rad fans are working against the case fans.

What's temps. Ambient air, water temp, and rad exhaust air temp?
Stick a thermometer in the rez.

7/16 ID 5/8 OD - TY! Was wrong on the initial numbers hehehe

I will remount later today and try several times.

I will check temps on outgoing air, case temp air, and other temps as mentioned later today when I play with the rig.

Ambient air as mentioned in first post is 24C.

Pump is running at full output. Setting 5 out of 5.

looks quite pretty, however;

I would first remount the cpu block. make sure your system is powered down and unplugged, and you shouldnt have to empty it out.

second, how long did u leak test? I found that with my 120.3pa rad, i could shake the life out of it and get no air bubbles released. however, after letting it sit a few hours during the leak test, another shake would release some more bubbles. that continued well into 15hrs thru the test. so make sure you gave it some time. also make sure you lower your rad below your reservoir when you are continually shaking and INVERTING it. invert + shake = :)rad. make sure your pump is running on 2 or 3 and your fill line is open and at a highpoint.

the short time that i had my vga working, my temps were about 40 idle and 47 load. i wasnt ecstatic about them, however it was a GTS G80.

also, it doesnt look like you have the best air influx through that case. it looks like only one 120mm fan in the front, which is behind a hdd cage. i would consider revising this. you could also try reversing the rad fans. have you gotten these poor temps with the side panel open or with the rad out of the case? if not, try that. Also, your current fans, what cfm are they? I would say you want them atleast 70ish. i see however you have some yate loons coming. also, i did have much better temps after remounting my water block with new thermal paste. verify good contact

also, make sure you arent running into the same issue with mounting your gpu block that i did. i tihnk the G92 ram chips are positioned slight differently, but just make sure the swiftech ram sinks, which are a little tall, arent interfering with a flush mount of the gpu block..

g-luck

Ooo.. Thats fairly ballsy to put the res right over the PSU like that...

Whats the CFM on the front and rear fans?

Are the tubes warm to the touch?

Look at my case. It's the link in my sig @ "Gamer". We have similar designs, but different cases and rads.

The worst limiting factor for me was the air intake. I had to put 3 coolermaster mesh drive plates in the front of my case (2 large, 1 small) to give the rad enough air to really flow. The bottom intake (and even if I turned the rear fan around as intake as well) wasn't enough to keep up with my San Ace fans. Try pulling a couple of the drive plates and see what your temp does. This is assuming you still have the side on.

If you have the side off, then reseat the block and make sure you do the thermal paste right, in case you goofed on that (hey we all do it at some point). If that's ok, then stand your case on its back and make sure no air comes out of that rad.

not sure what the pin design is of the fuzion, but but oyu might want to shake it back an forth cause you could get some microbubbles wedged between the pins. i saw that with my DD block, which as a clear top plate.

Ooo.. Thats fairly ballsy to put the res right over the PSU like that...

Whats the CFM on the front and rear fans?

Are the tubes warm to the touch?

That was my first thought ... I would think that good CFM or not, you're still getting a nice warming effect from that PSU placement AND the hot air from the case as billb mentioned.

perhaps, as suggested, a rethink of your layout.

Looks like you've got an unnecessary bend that could be restricting your flow...why not move the pump so the intake faces left and the output faces up? You also might want to raise up the reservoir so it's not resting on the PSU.

Hmmmm....

Where else could I put the res? I was going to place it higher, but the case fan on the back of the case was getting in the way.

Which bend/kink is a problem? Between which 2 WC pieces?

I don't seen any problematic bends. As far as performance/flow goes, the loop is fine. It's the contact @ the CPU or air in the rad that is a concern.

If the res is sealed well or removed and kept in the proper position can't you tip the case on it's front, sqeeze a screwdriver thru the back slots and get to the rad bleed screw while the loop is rinnung?

And are you sucking thru the rad or blowing out? Need to get cool air on the rad....

I just mounted my rad and pump externally on 2 aluminum brackets, tech screwed into the roof of my case ... not for everyone of course, but its cooler than in the case and indeed portable ... I took this to work and then home every day for 2 years as a freelance designer, tossed it in the back and belted it down. not a leak, not a problem ...

Attachments

• front_view.jpg
    front_view.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 152
Back