• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firewall Program for new computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nobluo

Firewall - NEED ADVICE

ok. i did a quick search and need to find the best firewall program for a new computer that im getting. Currently im using windows 98se over a DSL connection with no firewall. Once i get my new system (less than a week) i will be using both computers to connect online with the same DSL connection.

can someone recommend from experience and personal use a good firewall program? Is it freeware? if not where can i buy, and if so where can i download it?

**edit** i have read a lot of reviews about zone alarm and some other programs out there but want to know from people's personal experince which are preferred and which actually work. reading a review is one thing but actually using the program is another.
thanks for your help
:beer:

Last edited:
I find the zone alarm is a great software firewall but in my opinion nothing beats a hardware firewall. you know get soemthing like a netgear , linksys or smc router with a firewall is a great idea also allows you to connect and share mulitple computers with it.

Hmmm... no review on Sygate Personal Firewall in that one. Guess CNet couldn't get Sygate to fork up the dough for a review.;)

Btw, I strongly recommend Sygate Personal Firewall, and a hardware solution as mentioned before by some form of router.

there is a review on CNET for personal software firewalls which may or may not be worth a read :p
its a good read. im going to try zone alarm and then when my new system gets here(shipped today) i may or may not try something else.
thanks for the info. thanks everyone else also.

firewall...

Try Zone alarm is use it @ home with no major probs...apart from the 1st time setup when traffic goes through it..

The Best imo is Black Ice defender...

as used by many goverment departments.....

Sygate. I have said it before and I say it again... SYGATE! beats Zone Alarm hands down.

Nothing has been able to touch my Kerio, but for someone that doesn't want to fiddle with their rule sets I would say ZA is the best free option.

Options in my preference order:

1. Kerio
2. Tiny (same code and developers as Kerio)
3. ZA Pro (holes in the free version)
4. Sygate

I lost my faith in Norton.

CHX-I is the best, in my opinion, firewall for windows. I'd recommend a little knowledge of networking and read the documentation if you're a beginner, but it's a great no nonsense firewall.

alrox said:
CHX-I is the best, in my opinion, firewall for windows. I'd recommend a little knowledge of networking and read the documentation if you're a beginner, but it's a great no nonsense firewall.

hmmm, never seen that one, but it looks promising, going to have to try out on one of my spare pcs. Thanks, still sticking with Kerio on my main rig now though.

Back