• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First build in a long time, back to AMD, yay!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Khemist

Greetings all! Just put an order in for a few parts for a new build. My last build was around 2013 and was based on an I5-something, cheap MSI motherboard, two 6870 cards in crossfire and first gen samsung SSD (128 Gb, lol). My case was a silverstone FT02 fortress and I powered it with a corsair HX-850. I can't remember the CPU cooler but it was huge and loud. I have a friend low on funds so I donated the whole system to him. Kinda missing my PSU now, haha. So on to my latest build, feel free to critique:

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING, 11G-P4-6696-KR, 11GB GDDR5X, iCX Technology - 9 Thermal Sensors & RGB LED G/P/M
AMD RYZEN 7 2700X 8-Core 3.7 GHz (4.3 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 105W YD270XBGAFBOX Desktop Processor
ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi) AM4 AMD X470 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-16GTZR
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V7E500BW)

I haven't settled on a case or PSU yet. Any recs? I will use the stock Ryzen cooler for now but would like to check out the neat water cooling packages available.

The Silverstone FT02 I had was nice but was so big and heavy. Seems like case prices have come down quite a bit.

Also, what's the cheapest way to get Windows 10?

My 6th grade daughter and I will build it together. It will be her first time and I hope she learns a lot (mainly about patience )

You may still be able to get the free upgrade to Windows 10 from 7/8.1. Some people still occasionally post success there. Otherwise, here is one source https://allkey4u.com/product-category/buy-windows-os/ I used them recently and had a valid license for W7 Pro in under 30 minutes for a backup rig.

Silverstone makes some good PSUs, but the usual recommendations here start with the Evga G2/G3 series. They're top tier units with great warranties (as are the Siverstones). Good place for PSU research here https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/589708-Recommended-PSU-s-True-Tested

Cases get personal depending on who you ask. I'm a Phanteks phan, myself. LOL It will depend oon whether or not you plan to liquid cool, custom loop or AIO, or air cool (and check clearance for tower coolers!) We have a thread for that, too. https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/748535-Recommended-Cases-of-OCF

And :welcome: to OCF!

Greetings all! Just put an order in for a few parts for a new build. My last build was around 2013 and was based on an I5-something, cheap MSI motherboard, two 6870 cards in crossfire and first gen samsung SSD (128 Gb, lol). My case was a silverstone FT02 fortress and I powered it with a corsair HX-850. I can't remember the CPU cooler but it was huge and loud. I have a friend low on funds so I donated the whole system to him. Kinda missing my PSU now, haha. So on to my latest build, feel free to critique:

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING, 11G-P4-6696-KR, 11GB GDDR5X, iCX Technology - 9 Thermal Sensors & RGB LED G/P/M
AMD RYZEN 7 2700X 8-Core 3.7 GHz (4.3 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 105W YD270XBGAFBOX Desktop Processor
ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi) AM4 AMD X470 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-16GTZR
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V7E500BW)

I haven't settled on a case or PSU yet. Any recs? I will use the stock Ryzen cooler for now but would like to check out the neat water cooling packages available.

The Silverstone FT02 I had was nice but was so big and heavy. Seems like case prices have come down quite a bit.

Also, what's the cheapest way to get Windows 10?

My 6th grade daughter and I will build it together. It will be her first time and I hope she learns a lot (mainly about patience )

Nice list, AMD's Ryzen offerings are pretty stellar for the price, particularly if you are doing more than strictly gaming.

As for suggestions, I think EVGA G2/G3 650 Watt is the way to be, G3 powers my current build, which is fairly similar to yours for power consumption without any issues what so ever and the warranty is stellar.

Cases I guess are dependent on your needs I guess, I love my Fractal Designs Meshify-C and their Define series is very popular as well (particularly with modders and custom loop liquid cooling users). It has great cable management and unrestricted air flow regarding my ventilation. And looks cool to boot. beyond that, NZXT and Thermaltake have some really nice cases if you're willing to spend a bit more. But you should be able to get something sweet for between $75-$100 in today's market.

Beyond this I can't particularly recommend one AIO over the other, as I only have experience with the one I am using currently, but I can say that it holds my system @ 25-31 C Idle, 55 C and below while gaming and below 70 C under full load stress testing with my particular overclock and roughly the same with stock clock settings and XFR just boosting away.

Sounds like EVGA is the way to go on PSUs. I remember where the guy on here would torture test them and it was surprising what was coming off the 12V rails on a lot of the big names.

Man, this case decision is so hard. I like both the Fractal Designd meshify and the Phanteks and Thermaltake,etc. It needs to have decent airflow until I can figure out some water cooling options. I will probably throw a couple of spinny drives in there for media storage. You think 650W would still be fine?

Back