• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First build, looking for some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fatlj

Hello all!

I'd like to apologize in advance for any spelling/grammar mistakes I may make, I'm not a native speaker and I am writing this from my phone since my beloved laptop died on me last week! This motivated me to look around and decide to build my first desktop computer.

I will use this computer mainly for gaming, I want to be able to play battlefield 3, far cry 3, arma 2/3, and other games like these on ultra settings (hopefully!)

My budget for this build is 1200euros MAX! (Windows 8, or7 included, I do not have a preference, whichever is best for gaming) monitor also included, I don't have one in mind but was thinking of a 24".

As I said above, I am from France and plan on getting my parts on materiel.net, a French website, hope you guys will manage with it and I'd you need any translation let me know!

I do not plan on overclocking right away, I want to wait and get a better cooler first but I first have to get the money!
Size is not a problem and noise isn't either (I'd like to keep it reasonable anyways, I don't want to have a airplane reactor in my living room!)
I also want to be able to upgrade and maybe get a second gpu in the future.

All that being said, lets get to the components!

CPU: AMD FX-6300
MOBO: GA-990XA-UD3
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2x4GB 1866MHz (about that RAM speed I'm not sure the CPU and MOBO supports it but is it optimal?)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD7950 with boost 3GB
PSU: CORSAIR CX BRONZE Modular 500W (maybe a 600W for future upgrades?)
CASE: NZXT Lexa S USB 3.0 Edition (feel free to suggest another case, this one looks now and looks like it has pretty decent airflow)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB
SSD: Samsung Serie 840- 120GB
Mouse and keyboard: already have those
MONITOR: any 24" you recommend

I think this is all, I hope I followed the right format and look forward to your advice/critique in order to get the best performance for my money!

Thanks in advance!
Fatlj

Your post is better than a lot of native speakers here honestly...

With a budget like that, I'd go intel unless you know you need the cores for something else?

Asrock Z77 Extreme 6
2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz
AMD 7950
Samsung 840 PRO SSD
CX500

Don't get RAM over 1600. It's virtually pointless.

Indeed get a larger PSU than 500 watts.

As for a monitor, how far away will you sit from it? if you sit less than 18 inches (~46cm) away, getting a 21.5" will maintain pixel density and reduce cost.

Are you planning on overclocking and/or going multiple video cards in the future?

He said he doesn't plan on overclocking right away. He wants the option to Xfire/SLI in the future.

OP: If you want to be able to play everything on Ultra now and for the forseeable future, why not leave the SSD for later and go to a higher tier video card like a 7970?

I also agree you'll be much better off with a 3570K CPU. Better performance than that ancient FX part you wanted. The FX CPUs are a very old line based on very old technology. The performance isn't terrible, but a 3570K:

-Is faster
-Will be compatible with PCIE 3.0, which is a very big deal
-Overclocks higher

Despite having four cores to the AMD's six, the part is still faster. AMD's 8 core cpus aren't even as fast as Intel's 4 core.

Also keep in mind that if you plan to buy a second GPU in the future, you will need more than 500W PSU.

Waow thanks for the quick replies,
I went with the fx 6300 for the price of the CPU and MOBO, definitely won't need te extra cores, which intel would you recommend?
Yes I do plan on overclocking but not right away and as for the multiple video cards, if I have the money I definitely will.

Okay for the ram speed, I will stick to 1600 and for the monitor, maybe 1m away tops.

Waow thanks for the quick replies,
I went with the fx 6300 for the price of the CPU and MOBO, definitely won't need te extra cores, which intel would you recommend?
Yes I do plan on overclocking but not right away and as for the multiple video cards, if I have the money I definitely will.

Okay for the ram speed, I will stick to 1600 and for the monitor, maybe 1m away tops.

Don't buy that AMD cpu. Get a Z77 motherboard and a 3570K Intel.

Why? Assuming single GPU?

His OP says he will possibly add a second GPU later. And an aftermarket cooler.

If he buys a new PSU along with his second GPU, he's just wasted the purchase of the 500W PSU IMO.

This is about 30 euros under budget. Not including shipping.
View attachment 127208

He's not maxing stuff out for long on a 7870 IMO. I say lose the SSD and get a good GPU. Get the SSD later.

Sorry for taking quite some time to reply, I'm checking all the parts you guys mentioned and since I'm on my phone it's taking forever!
Sounds good, ill dump the SSD and get the 7970, get 1600MHz RAM and will run the numbers with a 3570k and a Z77 MOBO, and see if its shotgun my budget.
What kind of PSU should I get if (and that's a big IF) I want to add a second 7970 in the future? Will 600W be enough? And if I only want one gpu, is 500W enough?

Thanks TOCnoob, and nice to have you back!

500W is PLENTY with one GPU. For two 7970's grab a QUALITY 650-750W PSU.

Daaaamn knufire! You beat me to it! You're the man!
Question: 7870, better than 7950?
(You even got an SSD in there omg!)

Sorry for taking quite some time to reply, I'm checking all the parts you guys mentioned and since I'm on my phone it's taking forever!
Sounds good, ill dump the SSD and get the 7970, get 1600MHz RAM and will run the numbers with a 3570k and a Z77 MOBO, and see if its shotgun my budget.
What kind of PSU should I get if (and that's a big IF) I want to add a second 7970 in the future? Will 600W be enough? And if I only want one gpu, is 500W enough?

500W is enough for one GPU. If a second GPU is a very big IF, then don't worry about it and get a 500W PSU.

For two GPUs you will need more than 600W but I dont know the TDP of AMD cards so somebody else will have to help you with that.

Daaaamn knufire! You beat me to it! You're the man!
Question: 7870, better than 7950?
(You even got an SSD in there omg!)

7870 is worse than 7950. Get a 7970. SSD later. You don't have the money for the full package right now.

Losing the SSD isn't enough savings to jump to the 7970 and keep it within budget.

@Fatj, 7950 is better than the 7870. I had to go to a less powerful video card to keep the entire machine within budget. I'm working on a 2nd build with no SSD and a better video card right now.

Knufire is OFF THE CHAIN when it comes to building great rigs for people on the cheapest.

7950 is faster than a 7870...

This is with no SSD. You're sort of in a weird position, a 7950 will put you significantly under budget, but the 7970 will put you over budget. And with a 7950, you're just a little bit short of getting a SSD.

What I did was drop the SSD, go for a 7950, and went for a slightly smaller (23") but higher quality (IPS) screen.

Screen Shot 2013-05-01 at 2.55.49 PM.png

Thanks a lot knufire, everyone, I will go with the "no SSD build" and if I can expand my budget try and get a 7970.
Thanks for the awesome quick responses and advice, I didn't think anyone would reply this quickly!
Now I know where to come if I have any questions!
Thanks again and if you guys have any other suggestions I'm more than happy to hear them!

Thanks a lot knufire, everyone, I will go with the "no SSD build" and if I can expand my budget try and get a 7970.
Thanks for the awesome quick responses and advice, I didn't think anyone would reply this quickly!
Now I know where to come if I have any questions!
Thanks again and if you guys have any other suggestions I'm more than happy to hear them!

Remember, the 650W is enough to run dual 7950s but cuts it VERY close to run dual 7970s. I'd feel much more comfortable with a 750W if you go to a 7970.

Back