• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Water Cooling Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

huhh

I've just recently started my new water cool project. Ordered and received most of my parts, but there is a lot of prep work to be done before it's all together. Also Waiting on the cooling parts which should arrive next week.

PC Specs:
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
Mobo: Asus Crosshair IV Formula
Memory: Mushkin Ridgeback Redline 1600Mhz 2x2GB
GPU: MSI GTX 460 Hawk 1GB
PSU: Corsair 750TX
HDDs:
WD VelociRaptor 160gb (boot)
WD Black 500GB x 2
------------------

CoolinSpecs:
Pump: Swiftech MCP655
Radiator: Swiftech MCR320
CPU Block: Swiftech APOGEE XT
GPU Block: (Can't find a Full Block)
Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES Micro Rev2
Tubing: Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT UV Red
Liquid: Primochill PC Ice

Fans:
Front (3 - 120mm Antec 3 Speed Fans)
Side (Scythe Slip Stream 120mm PWM & V.R.)
Back (Scythe S-FLEX™ S-FDB 120mm Low Flow 49.0CFM)
Top (200mm Antec 3 speed)
Radiator (3 - Scythe S-FLEX™ S-FDB 120mm Low Flow)

Intake Fans have Filters (Silverstone FF121B 120mm Fan Filter)

-----------------------------

I'll be Overclocking the CPU to around 4.0Ghz+ and seeing what I can get out of a GPU with a good air cooler on it already. I know the liquid I've chosen is not what I should be doing. Initially I wanted to just use distilled water and PT Nuke, yet I'm finding it extremely difficult to find PT Nuke. Links would be great.

I've started on the Initial prep of the case. I've cut holes for the wire routing and painted it Flat Black all around, I don't want any reflections. Might add red accents later on.

Since the Mobo and memory has a lot of Black/Red I've gone with the UV Red tubing, hope 10ft is enough. The radiator will be mounted on the back because the case has 2 holes with grommets to route my tubing.

Defiantly going to have to take pics and show it during the whole process. Very Excited to see how it turns out and what everyone thinks.

:welcome: to OCForums! Lurker :)

Typically, for a CPU + GPU loop you want more than a 3x120 rad, but I'm not sure how hot the AMD hexes get.

I know Koolance has a full coverage GTX460 block. EDIT: Just realized you have a non-reference GTX460, so you may not be able to find a full coverage block that will fit.

You can just get a silver kill coil if you can't find PT Nuke.

petrastechshop is the place to get PTNuke (petras tech nuke), make sure you get PHN, for distilled. Alternately you can get a silver strip from any number of places including a local jewler.

:welcome: to OCForums! Lurker :)

Typically, for a CPU + GPU loop you want more than a 3x120 rad, but I'm not sure how hot the AMD hexes get.

I know Koolance has a full coverage GTX460 block. EDIT: Just realized you have a non-reference GTX460, so you may not be able to find a full coverage block that will fit.

You can just get a silver kill coil if you can't find PT Nuke.

Been lurking because I thought about it, but it was pricey. Don't even remember signing up lol

I was going to get another 3x120 rad if I found a full block and do 2 loops, the stock coolers are pretty good on the GPU so i'll leave it for now. Read about that silver kill coil, might have to try it cause that "fancy" fluid doesn't seem so special. Just expensive.

Last edited:
The MSI Twin Frozr cooler is good, and the GTX460 isn't a really hot card anyways. You're right about the "fancy" fluids, just get some distilled + PTNuke or silver strip. You can even get a silver plated barb or two, that's what I have in my loop.

PHN Nuke is the newer stuff, best with distilled. Use Deionized instead, very common in the EU and just as good. Please Wiki the two types of water, don't worry a lot about it, tap water you don't want to use.
I'll put my links in for you to read.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3

Good comments, great catch on the non-ref 460. OP, you really need to reconsider watercooling those cards. Even if you go GPU chip watercooling only, and add the REQUIRED air heatsinks, your still looking at almost $100 per card. Is it worth it for your card?

I think a 120x3 for ONE 460 and your lower wattage CPU is okay. You might consider 6 fans in push/pull to start before you add the second 460. It's got great cooling out of the box.

You should consider air cooling the CPU, and you really don't even need watercooling for that CPU. A TOP air cooler is MUCH cheaper as as quiet.

Please reconsider................... Buying a $500+ HIGH wattage GPU, one that will fit a full cover waterblock is worth it. Your cards? NO. They got wayy above stock air cooling abilities and the 460 isn't a heat monster. Save yourself $500 plus. Next time you can go for it.

Good comments, great catch on the non-ref 460. OP, you really need to reconsider watercooling those cards. Even if you go GPU chip watercooling only, and add the REQUIRED air heatsinks, your still looking at almost $100 per card. Is it worth it for your card?

PHN Nuke is the newer stuff, best with distilled. Use Deionized instead, very common in the EU and just as good. Please Wiki the two types of water, don't worry a lot about it, tap water you don't want to use.
I'll put my links in for you to read.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3

I think a 120x3 for ONE 460 and your lower wattage CPU is okay. You might consider 6 fans in push/pull to start before you add the second 460. It's got great cooling out of the box.

You should consider air cooling the CPU, and you really don't even need watercooling for that CPU. A TOP air cooler is MUCH cheaper as as quiet.

Please reconsider................... Buying a $500+ HIGH wattage GPU, one that will fit a full cover waterblock is worth it. Your cards? NO. They got wayy above stock air cooling abilities and the 460 isn't a heat monster. Save yourself $500 plus. Next time you can go for it.

GPU and PSU are from my old PC. No point in wasting components i can still use.
When i started putting my new PC together on paper I noticed that it was a non-reference, hence why I couldn't find a full block. Reading about cooling non-reference cards would require lots of extra work with heat sinks as you said. The Twin Frozr coolers are good enough. I don't plan on getting another GTX 460, I'd rather go for a higher end card either to a second loops or as you said my original loop with more cooling power. Never thought about push/pull.

Thanx for all the tips.

Pics start tonight.

Back