• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FIX: nvlddmkm.sys has stopped responding and has recovered [VISTA ERROR]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not an unreasonable assumption. I haven't slept in a while so I wasn't thinking straight. Came back to post that I'd remembered what it stood for. Using your fix, so far the problem appears to have been fixed. I played Source for about 30 minutes, and Crysis ran. I would get it instantly, and constantly at the Source menu (Just a plain black screen until I Alt+Tabbed.) and Crysis wouldn't run. So far so good, thanks a ton.

My Final Soulution

Hi again,

I just wanted to say that after a little while, even running with one DIMM, the error returned in all it's glorious irritation. Blue screens, lockups, jerky gameplay, etc After trying EVERYTHING, I eventually sent my RAM back to Crucial. No questions asked, they sent me a replacement pair of DIMMS.

Popped them in, everything seemed sweet. Loaded up Crysis and lo and behold, I could kill Koreans without any hinderance from the dreaded error. The helicopter gunship however, continues to irritate me....

Well, I did this fix, and it worked well for about a month. Now I am back to random BSOD's etc. Haven't changed the driver or anything.

I searched for nv*.sys and turned up exactly 2 locations. System32 and nv_disp.inf_5140be68 in the FileRepository. Both versions are the same version I installed when I ran the fix (169.32).

My impression was that the original problem was multiple NVL's from multiple driver versions scattered throughout the harddrive, and that essentially cleaning them up fixed the problem. But now, I wonder if it is something else. Any thoughts? Should I re-replace these two files with the expand method?

8...use the expand method me wii lass from the north.

Just a reminder...this is just a method that has consistently worked for me, 2x2GB dimms on vista 32 with css, crysis, lplanet, ut, wow all stable...lp only on dx9 for some unknown reason though...still it plays that is the main thing:)

JenBell,

I just want to thank you for the fix. And now my story as you guys may find this funny.

I've been running Vista Business Edition for just over a year on a Dell Precision 690 with a Quadro FX3500 card.

I went to upgrade to Service Pack 1 today not the RC mind you the full blown Service Pack 1... Midway through the 1 1/2 hour upgrade (stage 2) I got this BSOD for NVLDDMKM.SYS... I knew it was an Nvidia file and decided to disable the video card in Safe Mode... after the restart stage 2 and 3 loaded fine... Upon startup with SP1 officially loaded I got the BSOD once again. And after it BSOD I once again went into safe mode to disable the video card... after a restart I got a message saying that it was reverting changes and removing SP1. (Which took 3 hours to remove) After it removed SP1 I went to login and it said I no longer had a genuine version of Windows... I checked our license server and sure enough it removed my license... I re-instated my license and was able to login once again. (We're not using the MAK licensing)

Once I logged in again I was messing with everything from drivers to removing the files and changing the permissions and such... no dice... I could not get a video driver to load for the life of me without getting this BSOD... It didn't just happen here and there like others here were saying... I got it the second I logged in.

I came across your thread and followed it to the "T" and it's working now. Thank you again!! And I'm officially servicepackless.... OH well I think I'll stay away from SP1 for awhile!!! LMAO

I just had to make a registration and post my comment here about this experience. I recently upgraded my hardware from a X6800 extreme to a QX9650 with 4GB of DDR3 ram memory and then the problem appeared as well. but before I upgraded everything ran as smooth as silk. I have a feeling that the Nvidia drivers can't keep up with the fast system specs that some people have. now you might think I'm talking crap but try to lower down the FSB of your memory. you'll see that you WILL solve this problem. this has to do with memory timings! if you overclocked too high. you will get it!! try it out and let me know

Welcome Rejuan....its nice u joining but to say that its the ram is not true for all of us. You implied that under-clocking the RAM will solve the problem. I know a lot of people have had success with this but have a look at my PC in my sig...do u really think I am underclocking my ram? Initially when I got this problem I under clocked my ram, removed one of the two dimm's and even underclocked the CPU and added a bit more vcore...now I have OCed the ram to pretty well, cpu is stable @4.4Ghz 24/7 with 2x2GB sticks...and all NVL-free (apart from the whole MKV thing...read previous posts about this).

Can we try and keep this thread clean...I dont want this thread turning into other NVL threads where people post the obvious stuff...u can find that info in other threads.

U might have failed to notice but I dont see why I should get sub-par performance when I dont need to, hence the reason why I started this thread.

Oh..and nice to meet u Rej:)

HI.
I join the NVL party :mad:

I had try a lot of drivers, I even change my motherboard p5b deluxe to asus maximus, I water cool my 8800 ultra and the problem still persist...
I lower the ram to 667 and the problem persist in crysis, stalker and other hardcore games... but games like fifa08, cod4 and others had no problem...

windows updates and nov dx9/10 doesnt help, I dont know what to do... I wait crysis for so long, I spend a lot of money on it and I getting this f... error when I load a map... my error is the screen stop.. sound continue.. and the start to blink the image and the sound cant stop the game with ctrl-atl-del, and then dsod or crash to desktop with the NVL error.... sometimes I get artifacts in games but is not heat problem since my idle temp is 45c and my load temp is 53c and the car heatsink doesnt feel so hot.... I dont think is a problem of the car because pro street, cod4, fifa, and other games never had an issue...

last day I enter crysis and the menu was all weird, the name of the things were in variables, like a corrupt game, and I reinstalled like 3 times... also did windows reinstall like 3 times... and both windows or crysis are legit non cracked or anything....

somebody with my same problem? maybe is a software thing (creative drivers or something... or other software or windows update that is on conflict with something...)

Spec in the signature....

sorry my sucky english but I had to let it out :cry: Im so upset with this....

Ok, I fix my problem....
my solution: change the rams....

I had the OCZ reapers and they made my life imposible, now Im with the crucial ballistix tracer 1066mhz (1gbx4 = 4gb) and I dont have any problem for about a month... (finger cross)
the funny thing is that my old ocz now work perfect on a friend mobo (abit) he doesnt have any issue in the games I had problems.... so they are defenetly incompatible with the motherboard (maximus formula SE)....

hi, i've found a very easy way to fix this:

1. un-install nVidia driver
2. restart into safe mode
3. run a batch file
Code:
takeown /f C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_*
cacls C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_* /G {USER_NAME}:F
4. deleve ALL "nv_**.inf_*" folders in "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\"
5. restart to normal, and install any new nVidia driver
:soda:

all USB devices work great, and it doesn't crash anymore.
can be easier if anyone know how to batch delete folders using wildcards? rd command doesn't recognise wildcards.

Need to do this on install.

What if you get this nvlddmkm.sys before install is even complete? Then install cannot complete and safemode tells you you must install in reg mode to be able to access the os....

I wanted to make users aware that if they take ownership and change permissions of the file repository folder it *WILL* prevent you from adding new devices such as USB thumb drives camera etc. I spent hours freaking out that I could no longer install devices and remembered that I had done all this fancy business of using cacl and monkeying with ownership. YOU MUST PUT IT BACK if you expect vista to run properly afterwards.

Another thing to take note is KB938194 and KB938979 which were just released this week. They address performance and reliability and one of the issues is the NVL error. Many people have posted positive results, let me know how it works for you!

Hi all. I've been attempting to stop my computer from crashing, and now I can't install my USB device, in addition some windows update regarding my monitor keeps failing. I'm not very knowledgable of vista and cacl and ownership, can anyone tell me how to put this back? I didn't see it in any posts. Thanks in advance.

Mambo...u might want to read this post in the thread...

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5495761&postcount=231

Cold,

If u are getting the NVL before u can complete the install then that means that there are remnants of an older install of the nvidia drivers in ur system. U should make sure all the drivers and there instances are removed. U should only have the nv4_disp folder in the FileRepo folder. Also remove all instances on the NVL file from ur entire system. The PDF guide listed most of the common places where I have found the files. As for doing things in safe mode...not needed to do that in order to fix the problem for a while now so :-|

If ur still having problems, then PM me with more detailed info on exactly what u've done and not done and we'll take it from there.

hi, i've found a very easy way to fix this:

1. un-install nVidia driver
2. restart into safe mode
3. run a batch file
Code:
takeown /f C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_*
cacls C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_* /G {USER_NAME}:F
4. deleve ALL "nv_**.inf_*" folders in "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\"
5. restart to normal, and install any new nVidia driver
:soda:

all USB devices work great, and it doesn't crash anymore.
can be easier if anyone know how to batch delete folders using wildcards? rd command doesn't recognise wildcards.

Hi to all!

Started having this problem with nVidia driver about a week ago. Have been reading this thread with interest and am wondering if anyone else has tried wuyanxu's solution?

Please help me :(

ASUS F3SV laptop
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz
Nvidia 8600m gs 256mb
120gb hd space
32 Bit Xp Pro or 32 bit Vista Home Premium
2 GB kingston ram

Background:
I have tried both operating systems- Vista 32bit Home Premium, Windows XP Professional 32bit.The forms of these operating systems are as follows- Vista 32 bit is an upgrade CD, XP is an installation cd that I made myself from another install disk. It has sp2 on the disk and the correct Hard drive drivers to install correctly with no errors.
I have 2 brand new gigs of ram installed in my system- Kingston Ram.
The system is CURRENTLY running XP Pro 32 bit.
32 bit vista came pre installed on the computer OEM

I love Aero from Vista-its a GREAT gui!
therefore, I perfer to use Vista over Xp
I believe that the system is much more stable with Vista installed (new system, recieved it about november or december 2007).
I am running across two very very critical issues with my system- No matter what drivers I am using.

Now, onto the errors.. In Vista, I run across Bsods involving NVLDDMKM.SYS along with the very rare TDR.
In XP I still have BSODS involving something that I cannot see- The screen artifacts and the system has to be rebooted- But I can only assume that the BSOD involved NV4_DISP.DLL. Both of the errors only occur when I am gaming- mostly newer games that run on higher graphics.
Have these two errors been resolved? I have spent my whole spring break trying to fix this with no avail- switching back and forth between XP and vista hoping to solve it. Does anyone have any REAL suggestions that I can try? I am really up for doing anything with XP or Vista.
I would much rather like to use vista though, Is there a certain way I should install vista and Drivers that will work with my system? such as installing or not installing certain updates? My last resort is turning in this laptop to ASUS and getting a new one- possibly with getting an ATI card in it. I dont believe that the issue involves hardware or heating- I believe ASUS built this laptop ROCK SOLID, my heating runs relatively cool ~60 degrees C*

Does anyone else suffer from similar issues? I would think that this forum would be chock full of people with similar errors and bsods. But I search on google and through the forums and I dont see that many people complaining about the issues- in either XP or Vista.
Yes I have tried flashing BIOS and just about every other solution that you could dig up on google and other forums. Please help! its strange, i really dont see any one on these forums complaing about NVLDDMKM.SYS Bsods or TDRs-two things that i Really really want to avoid and stop!

The final real question: Is there some way that you can install Vista in a certain order (from and upgrade disk), installing updates (if any), and finally installing a good graphics driver in order to avoid these errors? I know upgrading is "not" the way to go, but it seems to be my only choice. I have thought about trying to install with only 1gig of ram, then patching/doing whatever, and then putting in the new gig. These 2 gigs are brand new- previously i had the original RAM and some PNY ram and since they were different brands they didnt like each other i suppose. XP really didnt like it when I tried switching the ram around (bsods, weird boot screens, etc)

Please, just anything to help, I am a hardcore gamer with an extensive knowledge about PC's. Help is great- especially from you big guys that are abit more tech savvy!!

I am willing to try just about anything- I have been reading the solutions from Jen (<3) and she seems to know what she is talkin about. I think i attempted the very first solution but to no avail. I think it was about that time (after my updates failed any my laptop was almost bricked [?] ) that I decided to downgrade from vista to XP. I plan on starting back on vista possibly today with my installation plan. I am not really sure about that one.. But I dont see anything that I have to lose- honestly.

Contact my AIM or email or post here- thanks! Not to be trolling but, I have posted this on a few other forums.

Aubrey
*update*-I am currently sitting on Vista with only 1gig of memory in my machine and N0 updates. All of my old files have been erased. Seached for nvlddmkm.sys and found 12 of the files-says they are from Nvidia Compatible Windows 2000 Miniport driver, version 96.86 (from 2006 old i guess).
I really dont know what to do next. Get rid of those nvlddmkm files? Display driver install? Update memory hotfix? MS/windows updates??

AIM: AEngland80
Real Email: [email protected]

Last edited:
Hello 808,

New install, first thing to do is delete all the instances of the NVL files. Make sure u also browse through the system32 and sub folders to make sure u removed all of them.

Note that u do NOT want to delete the nv4_disp folder, if u do then the install will not boot.

I currently have my Dell 1730 with 2x 8700m's in SLI running fine.

Finally, do not rely on the search to find all the NVL files...it simply will not display all of them.

If u need more help, them PM and we will walk through it all.

Just a side note. When I do a new install I update the OS to the nines (all the updates I can and layer them...old critical, then more recent critical, etc...just preference really). Then the drivers for mobo, essentials and gpu are usually the right after the mobo then.

Jen

Thanks for your advice... What I did was install new graphics drivers (174.31 modded for laptops) and I downloaded your PDF guide on how to do this fix. I followed the guide and replaced all those old nvl files with the one that came with my driver. Now I am updating my system and choosing the updates that I want to have and using my asus cd for all the other little drivers for the system.

I used the advanced search and I came up with about 12 instances of nvl. I dont think I did anything wrong.. but I guess I will find out soon enough.

Will post results later,
Aubrey

Jen, the fix seemed to work. I played games for about ~10 hours or so yesterday just to test it out. No bsods or tdrs.. Now, I have put the machine into hibernation and I recieved a BSOD. Now I am recieving BSODS again... Do i need to do the fix again? did I not find all of the nvl files? Is there a certain way you have to search for the files? Please tell me that I wasnt dreaming...!

please help.
Aubrey

*trying new drivers... maybe that will help... I am scared to turn the machine off now.. >.< search turns up with all of the NVL files as the same version.*

Last edited:
for now i have not found one fix that completely works.. in most cases after a driver clean and install everything works fine for a few days and then it starts to act up again... sometimes its just a random thing... restart over and over and it sometimes crashes straight on load and sometimes after who knows how long... this is something that has to be really taken care of by nvidia or microsoft because it's really a pain for any gamer not to mention for online players like myself were getting a crash like this can be a real problem... :( and having to do a driver clean every other day is really not a fix or an option

Hiyah Blue,

Well I can understand how it feels but new install of drivers every other day? I think ur not applying my method properly. I am not a great games players as such but I know for a fact several people who I met over the net have not even touched drivers after getting them stable for few months.

I think u should really sort ur drivers out properly because if I had to re-do my drivers every other day I know for a fact I am obviously doing some wrong and there are issues with the install or worse:-|

PM me if u need any detailed help with anything, always happy to help.

Hey Jen,

It seems that the fix still works, no matter which divers I install. But on a reboot, I am experienceing BSODs complaining about some kind of stop and a bunch of numbers.. I think I will attempt it again- this time using the exact drivers you recommended here in the post and following the EXACT instructions. Beforehand i was using a driver cleaner- I probably shouldnt have. I was very happy to play games for as long as I did (6-10 hours).

Will post results later,
Aubrey

Back