• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FIX: nvlddmkm.sys has stopped responding and has recovered [VISTA ERROR]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well why i wondered about the PSU is i only have 500w for my entire comp. i bought it from a mate, but i wasnt sure it was enough, and still aint. but i thought, what the heck, i can try it out. :/

Hi the names pnutz and I specifically joined this forum because of this error...

specs:
680i A1
e6600
8800 GTS 320mb
4x1gig crucial 4-4-4-12 2T 2.2v

First off I want to say great thread JenBell! I did everything that you wrote but it wasn't the solution to my problems... I found that the solution towards my problem was leaving 1 stick of 1 gig ram in my computer... Now it runs fine with 1 gig, but I have 3 gigs of ram sitting on my desk thats not in use.. Do I have to use only 1 gig of ram forever? How to utilize all 4 gigs without getting this error..

My ram is fine too I ran memtest for 8 hours and sticks passed 16 times.

Last edited:
hello pnutz (sweet name:)

OK so as u might of noticed from my sig...I am still using 1 dimm...I did the same thing in the guide to a Dell 1730 laptop with 8700M SLi and while the process was more drawn out as I start from old stable drivers and build on top of that...it was totally nvl free on the latest drivers. As for ur PC...1 dimm is not a the best solution so I dont know how I can help anymore. I...myself have a pair of Corsair PC8888 (£400+) 2GB kit collection dust as my single 2GB dimm does it's thing.

I have heard from vista64 users that they are copying the nvl file to several '32bit' folders as well and finding some success...I am not running 64 so I cant really say for sure who I would do it on the OS.

Nutz...we are in the same position...unable to use our full compliment of dimm sticks.

The guide was to show people how I did things on my PC, it might not be a 'thee' solution but personally speaking...a stable nvl-free PC with the latest drivers...ready for crysis is as far as my ambition lies. Dont worry...I am not giving up yet...all of us together can find a way to make our PCs truly ours again.

On a side note, people please do not rely entirely on the search function to find ur nvl files...it wont find all of them...hence the reason for the all the pics in the guide.

Last edited:
Thx about my name haha

Im almost planning to do a format and see if that possibly fixes it heh... I was wondering.. I have 2 harddrives in my computer right, but im not sure what would happen if i only reformat my os harddrive. heres my harddrives:

Raptor 150gig 10k rpm - my OS and programs are installed here
Seagate 320gig 7.2k rpm - i just have files on here

If i reformat my raptor drive can I leave my seagate drive alone and still be able to access it like i am now after the new install? or do i have to format my seagate drive as well.. I'm not sure on this heh.

pnutz...I have a similar setup...2xraptors 150Gb in raid 0 with the other HDDs used as storage. Formatting and reinstalling will not have any effect on ur Seagate HDD. I dont know ur setup but if u moved the program files / user profile folder to the seagate, then might run into problems if u re-link them after the new install.

A standard new install via format, install via DVD will leave ur 2nd HDD untouched. (Dont forget to remove the partition and then create a new one and subtract 16MB...from the size...ensures a clean copy of all the boot files is created, even if the install find remnants of the old install)

A lot of people have multiple HDDs and configure them differently. I usually leave everything on my c drive and use imaging software to make a copy every Monday morning while I am at work.

If u are in doubt or want to be 100% sure of safe-guarding ur 2nd HDDs data then simply disconnect it until u finish ur reinstall...dont forget to download the latest drivers and stick them on a usb key for the install.

If u have any problems or any questions, just PM me or flick through the forum...there is a lot of info here...if that fails then Google is ur friend:)

Note to everyone...if u have any questions not directly related can u look through the forums or if u think I could help then PM me please...lets try to keep this thread focussed on the main issue.

Thx JenBell and sorry for going off topic ^.-

anyways, the reformat didn't fix my problem.. in fact after installing my drivers it happened 15 min after hah... Well its always good to clean up your hd right ^_^.

well i can say this much, doing what u said in some reply u did JB, i removed all ram sticks except one, and i havent had a single error for 3 straight days. WIEE. the only sad part is that im now running on 1024mb ram, which aint enough realy to use in vista and play a couple of the games i play :/

think i need to look up a 2048mb stick, and buy that....

ok, just got the the error message again, or well. 3 times now just today, with all except one ram stick removed. :/

Gar.. Getting the error message :(

Running Vista 64-bit and did the guide but to no luck still poping up, irregularly but it pops up.

Doesn't crash the game at all either just pauses it and continues.

Gar.. Getting the error message :(

Running Vista 64-bit and did the guide but to no luck still poping up, irregularly but it pops up.

Doesn't crash the game at all either just pauses it and continues.

I am back to only running XP atm, but my Vista 64-bit install all seemed to come right when I simply turned off Dreamscene, including whenever my son used the PC for gaming of all sorts.

Try doing that and see how you go maybe.

Na all thats well its installed but not turned on, haven't had it on in months actually.

I know I plan on doing a reinstall over my x-mas break I think but thats still a 45 days away.

deathman...a reinstall might not resolve the NVL. When I first had the error I went through 5 reinstalls until I got sick of the process and just started playing inside with ways of installing the drivers, etc. As this is vi64, I think the actual driver files could be located in places that I have not previously mentioned...I would do an advanced search (inc system files/hidden) and search for nv*.* and then manually go and poke around the system32 folder and see what I find. I have visited four or my work college's homes and managed to get all of NVL free to a certain extent...enough for them to play games, etc...dreamscene, etc. I think the most important rule to remember is that if u are still getting the NVL error just by running a game like CSS, HL2, BShock then u are not replacing all the NVLs in your system.

If you need any specific help, just PM me:)

Well I wasn't getting the error with my first nVidia driver install.. 169.02 Since I just got my first nVidia card in.. well 4 or 5 years so until I installed 169.04 thats when the issues started :(

I'll have to check the other folders though for the issue. So far it doesn't seem to be a huge issue, just 1 slow down during OS load.

Then again I need a reinstall as stated but see if I can find the issue else wear on the drive.

Every time I consider reinstalling Vista to give it another try, posts like D-man's pop up.

I'm baffled how this isnt resolved yet. Anyone running SP1 Beta have any luck?

Every time I consider reinstalling Vista to give it another try, posts like D-man's pop up.

I'm baffled how this isnt resolved yet. Anyone running SP1 Beta have any luck?

I don't see how SP1 will have any resolve to the manner. What this sounds like is a nvidia driver issue. Its like when installing or uninstalling for that manner, it doesn't remove certain links to old files.

I mean ATI does not have this issue with drivers. Actually with my ATI card in the past, I can't remember when I actually did a true uninstall of the drivers. I've always installed ontop of the old ones at least in Vista since there was no good "cleaning" method for Vista for free.

I don't see how SP1 will have any resolve to the manner. What this sounds like is a nvidia driver issue. Its like when installing or uninstalling for that manner, it doesn't remove certain links to old files.

I mean ATI does not have this issue with drivers. Actually with my ATI card in the past, I can't remember when I actually did a true uninstall of the drivers. I've always installed ontop of the old ones at least in Vista since there was no good "cleaning" method for Vista for free.

Actually, yes ATI does. The filename is different, but this was posted in post 50 to this thread:
http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=27116

ATI does have an equivalent problem just like nVidia. I have also read about Vista permissions and other crap I cant think of that is preventing the removal of older nv*.* files. You end up with multiple copies of old files (nvlddmkm.sys) and this is what is causing the issue.

I think Microsoft and nVidia need to be working on this together. We are nearly at 1 year since Vista release that this problem has existed. It is 1 year if you include the Beta time where people had reported this also.

I just have no clue where to turn anymore, so I have been on XP. :(

Hello, I recently bought Hellgate: London for my PC and tried to run the game in DX10. My rig is: C2d 2.4GHZ, 2GB RAM, Vista 32, Nvidia 8800GTX. I know that Hellgate is rigged with problems in DX10 so I've just been playing in DX9. But part of the reason I stoped using DX10 was because I started getting the nvlddmkm.sys display driver error message while playing and then it would start coming up while I was just browsing the internet and such. Once I would restart it would be fine, it has never come up before(I built my PC in May), and only comes up for Hellgate and while I play in DX10(which runs slow due to bad programming by the game makers, DX9 maxed out settings runs at 100fps at least). I didn't try the fix at the beginning of the thread because I think my error must consist with Hellgate. I got the error with the 163.75 drivers and the 169.04 beta drivers, which I am currently using. Now yesterday I started playing with the game on DX10 and got it to run fine with some of the settings off and on low and for the 30-45 minutes I played I didn't get the error. Should I just ignore this and assume it's Hellgate since DX10 doesn't function properly in that game? I just hope Crysis won't be like this. I tried one fix for this where you rename the nvlddmkm.sys to the nvlddmkm.sys.old and then find the one in the Nvidia folder and expand it but that didn't work. I think it's just Hellgate. Thanks.

Welcome to the forums Car...I think people are still overlooking one thing...u must replace ALL copies of the NVL file otherwise it will not work. I have not played Hellgate myself (not my sort of game) but without finding a stable driver install of OLD drivers I have never gotten latest drivers NVL free simply by installing them. For example, say I wanted to install 169.04 and my previous drivers were 163.74. I would remove or uninstall the drivers. Install .44 drivers, NVL-copy everywhere, restart...uninstall the drivers...install 169.04 and then manual NVL-copy, restart...test and use. I know its not logical but I know for a fact I can get the .44 stable 100% so I use that as my base. If people can get the latest drivers stable instantly..great..I am sticking to what I know works for me and most of the PCs I have played with. As for Crysis...I will be totally upgrading my drivers to the latest ones and doing another PDF for people to see exactly what I do again. One of my friends saw me do the whole process and thought I was totally nuts and clueless but they were not complaining when there PC was NVL-free:)

Edit: Zilver...er...did u read my post with ur eyes open and mind in normal mode? I said I start with what I think are stable drivers. I am running the latest beta's...according to ur post I am still running my old .44s then...git. Read the PDF and open ur eyes...it cant be that hard to see that I was upgrading my drivers...not downgrading...wow...there are people than can actually think that...[loads sawn-off uzi]

Last edited:
So the trick is to find the non faulty drivers for your system and sticking to them for all that is worth? I just nuked my raid array for the umptenth time to reinstall "fresh" drivers. Since it seems to be the "upgrade" that corrupts the driver install unless you don´t wanna do the tinkering above which is rather tiredsome in vista 64 your pretty much **** out of luck if you don´t reinstall "perfect" from start.

Back