• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flashing 8800 GTS G92 BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jorisje123456

The sticky is rather outdated and google has left me confused.

How do I flash my BIOS so it boots with my OC settings without 3rd party software. I hate having to allow Rivatuner to adjust the settings every time I reboot (vista UAC). (Unless someone knows a different way?)

Keep in mind I have no floppy drive.

To disable UAC:

Launch MSCONFIG by from the Run menu.

Click on the Tools tab. Scroll down till you find "Disable UAC" . Click on that line.

Press the Launch button.

A CMD window will open. When the command is done, you can close the window.

Close MSCONFIG. You need to reboot the computer for changes to apply.

I havent flashed a video card's bios, and I know doing it wrong will brick your card (unless you can flash the bios blind) , so I dont want to say anything here.

Actually its fairly simple.

Here is a step by step guide.

EDIT: LINKS ARE TO OLDER SOFTWARE. GOOGLE FOR MORE RECENT VERSIONS

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1633&page=3

I would highly recommend that you get a PCI graphics card just in case the flash goes bad. That way, you can boot with both your PCI and your PCIe card together so you can reflash and still see the monitor :p

Otherwise, if the flash goes bad (it rarely does but stuff happens so be prepared!) the only other option is to learn how to do the flash "blind", meaning with no monitor and you have memorized the keystrokes necessary and are confident that you can do it 100% error free.

I prefer to keep a spare PCI GPU lying around personally :p

nd4spdbh2 thx for the link.

myktech looks to be a great site that I was unaware of :D

For those of us who have no floppy drives (who STILL has them, really...?), there is a utility that turns a flash drive into a bootable drive like a floppy. Here is a link to said utility: http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

Just scroll to method 2 (HP Drive Key Boot Utility Version 7.41) and click the download link and you are there guys. Have fun. Made my life easier lol, I was dreading having to put an ancient drive in my new puter.

The sticky is rather outdated and google has left me confused.

How do I flash my BIOS so it boots with my OC settings without 3rd party software. I hate having to allow Rivatuner to adjust the settings every time I reboot (vista UAC). (Unless someone knows a different way?)

Keep in mind I have no floppy drive.

You should NEVER set your cards bios clocks to your max OC's.

What is the problem with letting RT set the clocks when the OS loads.
Once RT does that is just exits and it's done.

Viper

You should NEVER set your cards bios clocks to your max OC's.

What is the problem with letting RT set the clocks when the OS loads.
Once RT does that is just exits and it's done.

Viper

Every time I reboot, UAC gives me the warning that I have to allow/decline changes made by RT. If I press decline, my OC isn't applicated.

Every time I reboot, UAC gives me the warning that I have to allow/decline changes made by RT. If I press decline, my OC isn't applicated.

Dont press decline, press accept to the changes made by rivatuner as this is your oc values being loaded by vista. If you are still wanting to flash the bios, use the nibitor and the flash drive utility as was posted earlier.

Solution is simple. Turn off Vista's god awful stupid UAC like everyone else does that
wants a computer that doesn't argue with you damn near every time you actually try
to do some thing more than idle at the Vista desktop.

Viper

Solution is simple. Turn off Vista's god awful stupid UAC like everyone else does that
wants a computer that doesn't argue with you damn near every time you actually try
to do some thing more than idle at the Vista desktop.

Viper

I turned mine off the moment it was installed for this very reason. Just follow Diddyu's quote from above and then you are good.

I had disabled it, but then I read that it actually does have SOME use. But I think my question was answered already in 2-3 posts, so thanks for that. Don't have time to tinker with it now though.

UAC keeps non-computer geeks from doing stupid crap to their computer when they have clickorgies on the internet.

You can keep UAC active and have it auto-accept: here's a blurb I copied and pasted last year... source unknown:

Click Start and Control Panel. Switch to Classic View and click on the Administration Tools icon. In the list that opens click on Local Security Policy, and in the next window, Local Policies. In the Local Policies list click Security Options, and scroll down to "User Account Control: Behavior" (the full title of the policy is "User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode"). Double-click the title and in the dialog box change its setting from "Prompt for Consent" to "Elevate without prompting." Click OK.

(This works for Vista Ultimate)

Back