• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG FNG- First post and build log thread- Custom Parvum/SLI/Water Cooled PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Took advantage of Parvum's BF sale yesterday and ordered my wife's Veer 1.0 case . Black/Black was the sale....... looks like her PC will definitely be done before mine. Her RAM is en route and her motherboard and CPU arrived here yesterday. Soon as I have the case I can start mocking things up and measure for the custom cables.

Really won't matter either way but I'm sure she will be happy.

Now I'm torn on her accent color. Her favorite color is yellow but I wanted to do pastel pink/purple for the fluid and match the cables with it........

Wife is getting an i3 4160 in her rig.

My EVGA MICRO2 came in as did my Samsung 500gb M.2

Also minor change to my GPU setup :screwy:

I will be running Crossfired XFX R9 Fury Cards :eek:

Well, to make a long story short and not start bashing Parvum (yet), there have been some major changes. The case will be a no go, and my wife's Black Friday case is still a no show after being told it shipped on Dec 16........ I will leave that as is for the time being to see if I can sort out my refund after no reply from Parvum for days. NOT a happy camper......

I returned the new in box Fury, and sold the other on ebay, also sold my motherboard for the X99 setup, and the M.2 drive I had, still trying to sell the DDR4, a Z87 mobo, Z97 SOC Force EK block, and an i3 4160/Asrock H81M combo.

I am going to restructure the wife's build as well as mine, and I think I will be building my brother a B-Day rig too this month. My PC will most likely be last.

I got my nephews PC together for Xmas and the performance for the $$ spent really impressed me:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Evil-MOBO/saved/#view=krCRsY

So for right now standby on the whole over the top build and instead there will be various builds going on. Being into 2016 already didn't make sense to me to go crazy right now with all the new hardware set to come out soon and into next year. Plus I'm very curious to see what Zen brings as well as the next gen of HBM from AMD and NVIDIA.

Solid build for a kiddo!

Here's to hoping that Parvum sorts it all out for you... not the first time I've heard about issues with them delivering product though.

Solid build for a kiddo!

Here's to hoping that Parvum sorts it all out for you... not the first time I've heard about issues with them delivering product though.

Thanks, but today I found out something I did not know previously. That the Pentium is just 2 cores, for some reason I thought it had 4 threads too but it does not. He just got an El Gato for his B Day so a CPU upgrade is in order........

Nope, Pentium has no HyperThreading. Just 2c/2t.
Still solid, especially when OC'd, for a gaming machine.

Really surprised me we have it at 4.2 on air and it's doing fine, but it strains when he tries to do the game capture.

I have an i3 4160 I can send him, but was thinking either switching him to an FX series CPU or biting the bullet for a 1231 V3 that could just be swapped in............ maybe even a decent deal on an i5 4690K who knows we will see what pops up. I think a 6300/8300 would do him well with the GTX 960 4GB........

If you're doing an upgrade, since he's capturing the game, definitely go to something that's either 4c/4t or 4c/8t.
Is he using ShadowPlay to capture? If not, he should be.

If you're doing an upgrade, since he's capturing the game, definitely go to something that's either 4c/4t or 4c/8t.
Is he using ShadowPlay to capture? If not, he should be.

I will ask him tomorrow I had never heard of this device until a few days ago. He's not local to me I built the PC then shipped it north. His main game right now is CSGO, but in talking to another member on OCN today the device will easily and quickly bottle neck the Pentium and I don't want him having issues with a new build. The device just wasn't in the picture when I got the build together.

ShadowPlay shouldn't bottleneck the CPU at all, it uses the H.264 encoder built in to the GPU to encode the capture.

It's built in to Geforce Experience, FYI. Great piece of software :thup:

Ok so in a previous post was the PC part picker link to my nephews build.

My younger brother is jealous of his kids PC (because it's fun) and he can't afford to build a PC now, and I'm not wealthy, but part of my down scaling my build now is also to give to others too. His B-Day is at the end of the month, and I want to get him a PC together too.

I was thinking of:
- AMD FX8300/8320
- Gigabyte GA-990FX Gaming mobo
- 8GB RAM (whatever I get a deal on)
- SSD for OS
- HDD for mass storage
- GTX970/R9 390
-PSU
-Case (not sure yet have to start looking)

I might consider an AIO for his build and I think my own build will end up very similar as well. I'm open to any input here. He will be playing on a TV screen at 1080P as well and he and the nephew are into CSGO and mostly first person shooters. I'm assuming he will start doing game capture as well.

For me I think a build like this is a nice way to get me up on a PC that has been in the process of being built since last Aug lol.

I watch a lot of streaming video and like high refresh rate gaming and have been eyeballing the 43" Vizio 4K TV that can upscale 1080P can't be beat for the price. I like to play shooters too and have a buddy sucking me into star citizen, metro, and I need to start Fallout boy from the beginning when I get the PC up again. I was thinking this route and then letting 2016/2017 play out to see what's what with all the hype for stuff but still have a rig that's playable in the meantime........

All ears on any advice here.

- - - Updated - - -

It's built in to Geforce Experience, FYI. Great piece of software :thup:

So it's capture software in the Geoforce experience that will run the El Gato device? I just want to clarify so I know what to explain to him when we chat tomorrow.

My advice, for someone that probably isn't as computer savvy, go Intel.

If it was yours or mine, I would say go for it, but for someone else give it some thought.
The FX CPU's are great, but sometimes they really need some tweaking.

You're right, the Geforce Experience software has a built in capture software.
This is the only software (that I'm aware of) that takes advantage of this encoder.

Back