• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding two GTX 970s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
drag this one out all the way across the screen, set sensor refresh to 5 seconds and screenshot that as a single and post it as abase line.
this one shows you are running at 85% tdp as a single, it might yet be heat related.
I reset this this card back to default settings for a baseline - this is how I was running it with both cards in. For future reference, this is my EVGA card.

gpuz1.JPG

Windows 10 works just fine...all of my folding rigs are Windows 10 now.

That looks pretty normal for a core 0x18 work unit.

The core 0x21 work units really ramp up the temps on my cards.

Spent some time trying to get my 2nd GTX 970 (Zotac) installed. The only conclusion I can reach is that the card is bad.

- Both cards show up in bios, which is encouraging
- The driver is seeing only one card (GPU-Z, Afterburner, etc) - this isn't uncommon and sometimes needs a driver install
- Can't get through a driver install with both cards in without PC locking up or rebooting. No BSOD - just a reboot
- Added in a GTX 460 I had laying around and both cards are working just fine

Small chance it could be a power problem. But the GTX 460 can't be drawing any less power at Idle than the 970 and it's fine. All indicators point to the Zotac card being bad. Will try to initiate an RMA and see how that goes. (Not bashing Zotac - cards go bad. But I tend to regret not getting EVGA or Asus cards too often.)

Have you tried to put that Zotac in the main slot and removing the card in there now? Would tell you if it's go/no-go I would think.

Yes, of course. The card is bad. Tried both slots with it as a single card. It will boot but starts showing artifacts within 2-3 mins with no load. Afterburner won't recognize it.

Could be as simple as very bad thermal connection. But given that it's under warranty, not my problem and no reason for me to try and fix it.

^ Will do. I got an automated response that they received my request. Will see how long it takes to get a follow-up and what they say. Haven't dealt with Zotac before so interested to see how it goes.

I ill say that my experience with MSI is that they took my high-end card with defective fans and replaced it with a slightly lesser model that looked the same. They got away with it on the first card I RMA'd but I caught them when the second card went bad. This was back in the 460 days and I had an SLI setup.

I've had no problems with any other company and I don't expect that you will with Zotac. Just pay attention to what you send in vs what you receive.

Got my replacement card from Zotac yesterday. Have not installed it yet. This was an easy and fast RMA for me. Big thumbs up to Zotac on this one.

Will open another PC today to give it a run. I really need to get a 3-4 PCIe slot MB for my main folder. Would make swapping cards.

Back