• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Formatting, Installing WinXP and then a msgina.dll problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gabber359

Windows XP was already installed on the system (friends system which he brought over), but because of persistent viruses, trojans (he didnt even have SP 1 installed, no updates, no firewall, I found at least 15,000 trojans/viruses, you name it, I decided to format the drive and reinstall everything.

First thing I do, is reboot, go into the BIOS and change the boot order so that it gets the CDROM first.

I place the original WinXP SP1 CD (that my friend had newly purchases a day ago) into the drive and wait for it to load all relevant files.

I delete the old partition (8gb HD) and reformat using a NFTS file system (normal, not quick). It then proceeds to install WinXP, I type in the Key and all etc etc. Cant activate/register it yet since I need to setup my Internet (cable). It finishes, reboots, all is well....untill

...I get a Msgina.dll file problem (logon users interface). I'm like, wtf? I reboot, it loads WinXP but I immediately get the Sasser virus problem (which I thought a FORMAT would get rid of). So I now have 30 seconds in which WinXP will reboot

What the hell is going on? About a year ago I reformatted my own PC, did the exact same thing and it ran fine. I've tried browsing these forums to find relevant threads to no avail.

Is there anyone out there who can help me ?

Ok, well funnily enough the .dll problem went away, though the virus remained. What I did was to format the drive through DOS and it worked like a charm. Reinstalled Windows XP and no more problems :)

Back