• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Free 10 GB per month VPN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
I've been using windscribe when I need a VPN. I have never paid, and it is not shady.... so far, there is no "catch". Been using for more than two months.

You get 10 GB a month. Torrents and streaming are both allowed. For me, 10 gb a month is actually quite useful. You can upgrade to 15 GB per month free with a one time twitter shout-out to them.

Figured I'd share. Can't say I've found anything else that compares.

https://windscribe.com/?affid=3pmx5ys4

I hope someone finds this helpful.

EDIT: Also, they claim to be the only VPN with a linux desktop client... idk if that is true. But, they have downloads for Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora and CentOS. Pretty impressive.

Last edited:
I use TeamViewer to VPN to my PC's, I don't know if it's like what you have, you can check it out at Teamviewer.com.
I have a PC running with no monitor and I use it to VPN to it to run or close programs or even to reboot or shutdown the PC :) I even used it over the internet.

edit: nm, I looked at the link in your post.

Last edited:
What you're talking about would be more like VNC or remote desktop, correct?

It is true that if you had say, a server in a data center, you could remote desktop it from home. Then you would effectively be masking your traffic through that data center.

I think we're talking about two different things.

There's also ProtonVPN which is free unlimited, but probably slower. As well as Tor which is going to be slow by design but also always going to be free by design. Both of those nicely complement a faster VPN with limited data.

Then for the use case of enhancing security of public Wifi, you can host a PiVPN at home.

Proton free does not support bittorrent or streaming on netflix etc. Good to know there is unlimited free for browsing though.

And ofcourse I know about Tor, but that was always painfully (dialup like) slow for me. But it has been a few years.

I've been using Windscribe for years with zero issues. I forgot what I did for a free upgrade, but now I get something like 50gb per month. Perfect when I d/l torrents. It's the only time I use a VPN.

Are you a paid member or free? IMO, giving people 15GB a month just for posting a Tweet (i don't even use twitter lol) is a great deal.

Are you a paid member or free? IMO, giving people 15GB a month just for posting a Tweet (i don't even use twitter lol) is a great deal.

I'd just assume pay $3.30/mo for unlimited than have to tweet something monthly for and extra 5GB. To each their own though. If you don't use it much though I could see the free 10GB being very useful.

Also, they claim to be the only VPN with a linux desktop client... idk if that is true. But, they have downloads for Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora and CentOS. Pretty impressive.

Their "Linux desktop" support is a script that configures OpenVPN for you. NetworkManager has had plugin (pre-installed on most OSes that provide NetworkManager) support for OpenVPN (among many other VPN protocols) for ages. They simply have yet another script on top that configures it automatically if you can't be bothered to type in the half-dozen fields of basic information NetworkManager requires.

pretty much. Mullvad has a linux client so just that statement alone is fng retarded. Anything that says "free here" " download it" is a SCAM. I looked at the 'about us' and it was a straight up howdy doody bunch of BS with zero info. zero
If you want anonymity just encrypt, or use tor browser. With torrents, proton requires you to connect to specific nodes. Even that is no guarantee the torrent will work. Mullvad allows you to use ANY node, but again, some work and some don't.
The real reason to use a VPN is simply because all ISP's are now legally allowed to log and sell your data. That's like having someone listen in on every call you make and you have no idea who they are. Worse yet they do it without notifying you in the slightest.
Spectrum is a perfect example. The very next day after the home phone was connected to our modem, we immediately started getting spam calls. UNBELIEVABLE! They didn't wait barely a day to sell that number.

Last edited:
Spectrum is a perfect example. The very next day after the home phone was connected to our modem, we immediately started getting spam calls. UNBELIEVABLE! They didn't wait barely a day to sell that number.
Im certain that number wasn't "sold" in that amount of time. The number existed and was used previously. Use your head, paranoid Android.:p

What outfits do you wear when you cheerlead for other users here? The fact is, dumbass, spectrum put the # on a list the moment it was activated. Which they have a legal right to do so. Doesn't make me paranoid, it makes them unethical.

The number was on a list the second it existed...for the first user, second, you, and the person after you who gets that number. Bots were calling that number even when it wasn't yours. There isnt a switch, I promise. ;)

PS - When cheerleading for other users (w/e that means), the only thing on is a tinfoil hat. :tinfoil::beer:

Back