• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Free PC Technician Test

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Slayer2003 said:
YEA! 72% HAH!

See, being self-taught isn't all that bad. :rolleyes:
I was self-taught too and I failed... *cries* The only actual "teaching" I've received on comp. hardware was in 5th grade. They taught us that the big square box is the CPU and the big heavy screen is the memory. Of course by then I already knew they were completely wrong... :rolleyes:

CompTIA exams are the same way guys. they will still use questions that refer to what we consider "outdated" technology.

so suck it up A+/Net+ ftw =)

That test was very easy to cheat on. Theres no way it can be widely accepted. There was plenty of time to see the answer, go to google, get the answer and input it in the test.

I can't stand tests like this. Knowing what ASCII stands for or how many pins EDO ram has will never help me. If I EVER run into this type of hardware troubleshooting someones computer, I will just leave. I can't even stand troubleshooting a computer with less than 256MB of memory, let alone 64MB. Theres absolutely no reason to be running 8-10 year old hardware. You can buy a computer for ~50$ that has a pentium 3. You could probably even pick one up for free from a friend.

Corbec said:
That test was very easy to cheat on. Theres no way it can be widely accepted. There was plenty of time to see the answer, go to google, get the answer and input it in the test.

I can't stand tests like this. Knowing what ASCII stands for or how many pins EDO ram has will never help me. If I EVER run into this type of hardware troubleshooting someones computer, I will just leave. I can't even stand troubleshooting a computer with less than 256MB of memory, let alone 64MB. Theres absolutely no reason to be running 8-10 year old hardware. You can buy a computer for ~50$ that has a pentium 3. You could probably even pick one up for free from a friend.
Then you'll make zero buisness. Most people have old computers. Refusing to work on an old computer is ridiculous. They make you know old stuff, why? Because most people have old stuff. We are 0.0000002% of computer users. Might want to re-think your mind on working on old computers,

TollhouseFrank said:
http://www.expertrating.com/computer-technician-test.asp

The only catch?

If you pass, you have to pay $6.95 to get hard-copy (printed proof) of your results.

Still... not too bad a deal...

Didn't think it was possible, but someone actually found a certification more worthless than comptia A+ !

EDIT: at least 20 questions on floppy disk drives or serial ports, yeah this test is a bit dated, not to mention no mention of the USB port, though it is comfortating to know if i get sucked into a time vacuum and land in 1990 I am qualified to fix any computer problem

Last edited:
jack222 said:
Then you'll make zero buisness. Most people have old computers. Refusing to work on an old computer is ridiculous. They make you know old stuff, why? Because most people have old stuff. We are 0.0000002% of computer users. Might want to re-think your mind on working on old computers,
That's not as true as it may seem. If someone has a 4 year old comp, chances are its a P4 or A64 with winxp. Even before that. P3 is similar enough to troubleshoot. My mom has a 5-6 year old comp and its similar enough to mine that I can troubleshoot it. By virtue of having used win98 and ME and 2k, any of us could probably troubleshoot it. That test goes back far enough that most people probably have newer hardware. But there's still no reason to not work on an older PC.

CompTIA exams arent worthless. they are great entrylevel certs to have on your resume. dont expect to get jobs off what you "think" you know. youll be turned away without certs, schools or both on your background.

and by the way, knowing old technology is great cuz like its already been said...most businesses dont run NForce4 boards or dualcore desktops.

knowledge is power.

LOL.

guys... some of those 'free' tests on there are hilarious... like the state capitals... i got a 98% on that without trying... (geography was one of my best subjects in school).....

i have NO idea what job this would help in....

Corbec said:
If I EVER run into this type of hardware troubleshooting someones computer, I will just leave. I can't even stand troubleshooting a computer with less than 256MB of memory, let alone 64MB. Theres absolutely no reason to be running 8-10 year old hardware.
HAHAHAHAHAHA....

You obviously have no experience in the business world. I work on machines older than 10 years even, worth around 100,000 dollars with the peripherals attached. Yes you read correct, a 486 system worth one hundred thousand dollars.

The government is WAY behind the consumer market in R&D equipment, but for good reason - you need something proven to run the data stream, and once it works, you don't change it.

Wow, that test certainly is dated. I thought my computer was going to drop to the C:\> prompt after i finished it. Got a 68% on the test itself, which is the 92nd percentile, which is sad really, of course I took the test in 7 minutes, lol. There's definately a place for old tech knowhow though, alot of big businesses are at least 5 years behind the "mainstream", and some applications and industries rely on software that isn't frequently updated and are forced to use old PCs. My dad was telling me about the Windows 3.1 powered xray machine at his work that went on the fritz the other day. He doesn't do PC tech so they had to call someone in and probably pay top dollar to fix the stupid thing.

Hey I passed, I got exactly 50% on this test and I wasn't even paying attention just wanted to see what questions they have. Most of the questions are from old stuff and to tell you the truth I haven't seen them since I gave my pII away and built my first pc, and today if someone showed up with such old stuff I would refuse to fix it, it just isn't worth it.

yeah seriously, i see no purpose in knowing this old stuff. the worst case scenerio someone has important files on an old hard drive, you put it into an enclosure and you recover what you can...

theres really no reason to have a computer that connects to the internet via serial port, P3's sell for $40 or less, and most techs bill for $60 or more.

i looked deeper into the site... this site was designed for businesses to pre-test and pre-screen employees. The questions on there are very likely legitimate for the business world.

TollhouseFrank said:
i looked deeper into the site... this site was designed for businesses to pre-test and pre-screen employees. The questions on there are very likely legitimate for the business world.

Probably, because it is hard to explain to the joe sixpack that to fix his old computer is going to be more expensive because it is slower and will take more time. I don't know how many times I had to explain that to people. Some times I even install more ram if necessary in order to fix the job faster.

What is interesting is that a year ago I knew what all those questions were, but since I don't get any practice with old stuff well I forget what they are.

Avg said:
Probably, because it is hard to explain to the joe sixpack that to fix his old computer is going to be more expensive because it is slower and will take more time. I don't know how many times I had to explain that to people. Some times I even install more ram if necessary in order to fix the job faster.

Lol! I do that too, I have a stash of old SDRAMs and crap like that to throw at beleagured PCs, I just ask my friends to throw me a couple bucks for the parts and a few bucks for my time to fix their stuff, but I almost always end up throwing whatever pieces parts I have at it just to make it less of a nightmare to work on.

Back