• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Friend overclocking a Dell!!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ergnas

Registered
Is it safe to overclock a Dell, I told him I didn't think it was since it is an Intel board, and the FSB and stuffwere not really meant to be changed, but he insists....he says that since he flashed his 9800NP to Pro it has been acting funny. He doesn't fully understand what he is doing. He is using something called CPUCool...I have never heard of it...but what do you guys think about this? He won't listen to me, so I need to see what OC'ing experts think. :bang head

It's doable, and won't harm anything any more then overclocking through BIOS will. Lots of people software overclock. I just find it a PITA because you have to re-set your overclock every time you reset the computer (though maybe they have software that does it automatically now).

I didnb't think it was as safe as overclocking through BIos...and I thought there was more that he could do to mess up the computer that way.

I dont think its dangerous...
Just not the best way to do things.

But i suppose thats the only thing to do for a dell.
PSU and Cooling might run into troubles (cooling in particular)

Tell him to drop kick the dell and get a real computer :D

I do the same thing on my wife's Dell. She doesn't want me screwing with her hardware, so I use s/w to raise the FSB. I'm using CPUFSB to run her 1.8GHz PIV at 2.2. I put CPUFSB in the startup folder. It automatically sets the FSB for me every time the PC boots.

Not a huge gain, but no effort either. Everything is stock Dell PC running PC2100 ram. I suspect it could go higher with faster ram, but may need some better cooling.

CPUFSB and CPUCool are by the same author, and both OC only by raising the FSB. CPUCool just has more cooling and monitoring options, which are useless on a Dell MB.

Rip

JCLW said:
It's doable, and won't harm anything any more then overclocking through BIOS will. Lots of people software overclock. I just find it a PITA because you have to re-set your overclock every time you reset the computer (though maybe they have software that does it automatically now).

I actually have to run Clockgen with the startup since with my bios and mobile chip I can't get the processor stock when booting up...It's very easy to do though. I don't have to worry about it at all.

You're running ClockGen on a Dell MB? Can you give some details on what Dell PC, what version of ClockGen, and your settings?

I don't think Dells use Intel motherboards, but that doesn't matter.

What I'm most worried about is cooling. You're friend will need to add a few fans, change the thermal pad to AS5 or Ceramique and maybe change the heatsink.

Dell has proprietary motherboards built by whomever gives them the best deal. I think Asus has built some in the past, don't know if they still do.

Some Dells have really good cooling, some have bad cooling. It depends on your model, and what processor you have in it. All our Dell Optiplexs in the office have very good wind tunel cooling that dumps the CPU heat right outside of the case.

my old dell had an intel mobo, but it was made especisally for dell with all the thermal sencors and anything else that they could possably remove removed. They also did something to keep me from being able to flash on the original intel bios for that mobo so I could OC that way. I used CPUcool for about a year with no problems though.

Ergnas said:
I didnb't think it was as safe as overclocking through BIos...and I thought there was more that he could do to mess up the computer that way.
How do you think people OC'd the a64 before nf3 250 came out ;)

Back