• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSB Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mayagrafix

Whats is better:

running a P4 with a stock 400 FSB (quad pumped 100 FSB)
OR
user defined FSB (maybe up to 225 FSB) with higher multiplier

its a 2.4 Northwood and I am happy with the performance so an overclock of under 3 gig is ok.

daNo-

I didn't really get your question;

Make yourself more clear on what your asking, maybe you can list your specs and people can start helping you out.

mkoersvelt

FBS

I should have requested more specs before replying as well.

Cpu ? step0-1-2? I.D.?
Motherboard?
Ram? type?

Be very specific please so you get the right info.

raven

First of all, your multiplier is locked on the P4 unless you have an ES (engineering Sample ) chip.

second of all, run your FSB as high as possible as long as it is stabe, but make sure your memory is running at 1:1 ratio because that gives you the best performance. Laster on you can change your ratio and then maybe increase your FSB. Though I highly doubt that your chip will go up to 225 FSB because on the intel 2.4 with 400Mhz bus, its multiplier is locked at 24, and therefor, 225 * 24 = 5.4GHz.

What i think your getting confused about is that, even tho the FSB is User Defined, the quad pumped will still apply so with a FSB of 225 * 4 = 900FSB. So just use user defined, and raise your FSB from 100 to whatever is stable for you.

Raven

OP
mayagrafix

mayagrafix

Thanks for the info guys...

Yup, everytime I increased the FSB in the MoBo setup the thing would lock up and refuse to boot. Back to 24 x 100 for now!

batboy

Senior Moment
Ok, we need to know what motherboard you have. If there is a way to fix or lock the PCI/AGP to default speed (33/66), then that's the first thing to do. How high are you trying to set the FSB? With a 24X multiplier, a really high FSB just plain won't work. Try a small increase at first to just see what happens, like maybe 108 FSB (that will give you almost 2.6 gig).