• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350 stability issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dyl

Registered
Recently purchased an Fx-8350 though am having major problems with it.
I've tried a few different things (changed voltages, etc.
Best luck I had was at 1.4125v @ 4Ghz (stock clocked), would stay stable with prime95 running on 2cores at a time at this clock (1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8), though when ran on all 8 cores at once it would crash instantly. (either simply freeze until restart, or completely shut down and require power supply switch to be flicked off/on before rebooting)
Put my AMD Athlon II x2 270 back in and it runs fine again.

Any suggestions?
Is it safe to assume upgrading my PSU will fix this problem or could the motherboard be at fault too?

Build:
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Pro3
CPU: Amd FX-8350 4.00Ghz stock clocked
Ram: G.skill F3-1866C9-8GAB (2x4Gb) clocked at 931Mhz Dual Channel (1862Mhz)
Graphics: nVidia GeForce GT 610, stock clocked.
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB 7200 RPM,3.5" (ST31000528AS)
Case/PSU: Unknown? Bought off ebay. Picture of power supply below.

5tRjn.jpg

PSU voltages:
+5.0V Voltage: 5.160 V
+3.3V Voltage: 3.312 V
+12V Voltage: 11.933 V

About the power supply, let me put it this way. When you see a 620 watt power supply with big amps on the +5V and in fact much greater than the +12V rail, the power supply is not of a design to work with most later style cpus that need and use almost exclusively the +12V rail for CPU power.

27A on the +12V rail as shown in the power supply rating image is likely only just barely able to supply enough power to an FX-8350 and other +12V power as well. Under full loading that 27Amps on the +12V rail might not be enough on a lesser grade power supply.

As regards the ASRock 970 Pro3 motherboard at best it is uber marginal for any decent overclock of an 8 Core FX processor or so it has been the case with most users we have seen come thru the AMD CPU Forum section. It appears to be only a 4 + 1 VRM supply circuit type mobo and has no heat spreaders at all on the VRM circuit. The no heat spreaders usually is an indicator that the VRM circuit will have issues supplying sufficient power to an overclocked 8 core FX processor with all 8 cores enabled.

We have been recommending the Asrock 990FX Extreme9 for sometime for those wanting to use Asrock board and overclock an FX 8 core processor. That board is built to withstand the rigors of 8 core overclocking about as far as one's cpu cooling will allow.

In general speak a good 965BE overclocked to 4.1Ghz when replaced by an FX processor needs to see that FX processor reach about 4.5Ghz or a little more to be equal in general processing power to the 965BE at 4.0/4.1Ghz.

Would you recommend upgrading the power supply to fix the crashes/freezes at stock clocking or do you think my motherboard would be the problem?
If both could be at fault, which should I swap out first in an attempt to fix this issue; what would be the more likely cause?

With the 965BE comparison, that's for an fx-8350 core to be equal to a 965BE core, correct? So an FX-8350 @ 4.5Ghz will be double the processing power of a 965BE at 4.1Ghz on a multi-thread application, though comparing one single core they will be about the same processing power?

Would you recommend upgrading the power supply to fix the crashes/freezes at stock clocking or do you think my motherboard would be the problem?
If both could be at fault, which should I swap out first in an attempt to fix this issue; what would be the more likely cause? If I answer this question, there should be n0 need to answer the first. A good power supply normally runs about $70 to $90 Usd except for this holiday price cutting. Since it is cheaper than a good mobo, I suppose I would get a g00d power supply first. However it is almost too close to point a finger at one or the other in my own mind.

With the 965BE comparison, that's for an fx-8350 core to be equal to a 965BE core, correct? So an FX-8350 @ 4.5Ghz will be double the processing power of a 965BE at 4.1Ghz on a multi-thread application, though comparing one single core they will be about the same processing power?
Trying to make point for point comparisons are tough with Deneb to FX processors. I used the number of Mhz to show a general equivalency. FX architecture is a module of 2 cores. So a person could fight the argument that FX is not fully 8 cores nor is it only 4 cores (modules). This has been bandied about since the release of BullDozer in fall 2011. Because SO many come in here wanting to overclock for gaming, it has been a general response that 4.1Ghz is roughly EQUAL to FX 8 core at 4.5Ghz. that is equal or equivalent but not an exact number. If you were doing video editting with an FX 8 core at 4.5Ghz and the 965BE at 4.1Ghz, the FX would mop up the floor with the 965BE. It makes a difference what type of work is being done. General Cpu Mhz equivalents only; not a truly exact equivalency.

RGone...ster.

RGone...ster.

Thanks.

Just found out my motherboard has a 3 year warranty anyway, so if it turns out to be that it's still well in warranty. :D

Over to the PSU section I go to work out which to buy. :escape:

so if it turns out to be that it's still well in warranty. = Your board is not defective as in needs repairing. It is not a robust enough board to handle heavy duty overlocking. There is a dramatic difference in those two situations. RMA denied is the likely reply to you from Asrock.

so if it turns out to be that it's still well in warranty. = Your board is not defective as in needs repairing. It is not a robust enough board to handle heavy duty overlocking. There is a dramatic difference in those two situations. RMA denied is the likely reply to you from Asrock.

The stability issues (crashing/freezing after 1-2minutes of uptime) is a huge issue though, if it continues after I replace my PSU then I would assume it's the motherboard then. I'm sure they would replace it in that as it's rated for a 140w+ CPU and is marketed as supporting AMD 8core CPUs.
I understand, sadly, I won't be able to overclock my CPU much with this board, but stock clocking is fine for me. :D

I understand, sadly, I won't be able to overclock my CPU much with this board, but stock clocking is fine for me. As long as you "know" what is what before it hits you in the face, then it is better.

It's impossible to say whether or not the PSU is actually the problem without replacing it but it is still true that you do need to upgrade that PSU. It will let you down sooner or later. When a PSU goes out it can take other components with it and I can verify that from personal experience.

+1 trents, just go read my bone pile thread. when the psu pops it takes the whole shootin match with it.

Back