• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

g sync vs adaptive sync [NOT FREE SYNC]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lIrenicuSl

hello there ;)

I'm looking forward for new monitor and I'm wondering about the new option wich is called "adaptive sync", it's cheaper than g-sync but does it really works?
It is going to be used for gaming.

My Pc spec:
Gtx 1080ti
Intel 7700k
16GB 3000Mhz Cl 15
2x Samsung 850 EVO

My budget is around 400 euros, I was looking for options like;
144hz+ 2k resolution
and this is what i've found in this price range

AOC AG271QX https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/5048445_-ag271qx-aoc.html
AOC AG322QCX https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/5551657_-ag322qcx-aoc.html

The diffrence between them its Panel; TN vs MVA + speakers built in... and size.

What do You think?

Last edited:
My understanding of these system is that

Free sync is built on the adaptive sync standard and I have never seen a monitor listed as "adaptive sync" only "free sync", I'm hoping Simone jumps in here if they have seen otherwise.

I guess my other question would be are you talking about the Nvidia "Adaptive V-sync" vs. "G sync"?

Regardless, of you are going to be running a 1080ti I'm pretty sure you are going to be stuck with a G sync monitor as the last time I looked Nvidia cards will not enable Adaptive Synchronization on a non G sync monitor.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I looked up both monitors you have listed and they support Free sync so will not allow for variable refresh rate with your 1080ti.

You're just scarring me, it seems i have to pay 200euro more for monitor because of Nvidia graphic card...

Last edited:
You're just scarring me, it seems i have to pay 200euro more for monitor because of Nvidia graphic card...

Unfortunately no I am not trying to just scare you.

If you want a Adaptive Refresh rate monitor that works with a Nvidia card you need a G sync monitor. The other monitors you listed will work with your card as normal monitors but you will not be able to take advantage of the Adaptive sync technology. There may be a work around for this and/or Nvidia may, and I emphasize the "may", release a patch for this in the future but currently I know of no way to make this work.

Like I said you may want to see if anyone else has a different insight or workaround on this issue as there are people here that are more well versed in monitor technologies than me.

I have a gsync monitor and run gsync. A high hz monitor can use adaptive vsync but adaptive, iirc, just shuts off below whatever, it wont match output like freesync and gync do.

A lot of information can be found here in how it works...: https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/adaptive-vsync

I bought the acer predator 2560x1440 ips 144hz gsync panel recently and it was worth every penny to me. :)

I can see that it costs around 500euros, the predator one, so like 100euros for "gsync" only....
and found soemthing like this one:

AOC AG241QG but only 24 inch
Quesiton is what do i choose; 27-32 inch or 24 inch but with G-sync....

Last edited:
Seems about right, yep. But, you have an NVIDIA GPU, so, pay to play with their tech, sadly, is the name of the game. But, it was worth it to me and I would imagine more worth it to you with an even faster card.

To be hopnest I don't understeand why its so important about htis sutpid -gsync to have it. When i hear its just about fps thingy....

I need to get last answer;
Is it possible to setup free--sync monitor wth NvidiA's GPu? or it wont work?

I have a gsync monitor and run gsync. A high hz monitor can use adaptive vsync but adaptive, iirc, just shuts off below whatever, it wont match output like freesync and gync do.

A lot of information can be found here in how it works...: https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/adaptive-vsync

I bought the acer predator 2560x1440 ips 144hz gsync panel recently and it was worth every penny to me. :)
What monitor model do you have?

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at the manufacturer specs on both of those monitors and they are both Free sync based monitors.

So on each website they write other info, at one they said that 31,5 inch has "adaptive sync" not the free one....

Back