• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

g sync vs adaptive sync [NOT FREE SYNC]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My understanding of these system is that

Free sync is built on the adaptive sync standard and I have never seen a monitor listed as "adaptive sync" only "free sync", I'm hoping Simone jumps in here if they have seen otherwise.

I guess my other question would be are you talking about the Nvidia "Adaptive V-sync" vs. "G sync"?

Regardless, of you are going to be running a 1080ti I'm pretty sure you are going to be stuck with a G sync monitor as the last time I looked Nvidia cards will not enable Adaptive Synchronization on a non G sync monitor.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I looked up both monitors you have listed and they support Free sync so will not allow for variable refresh rate with your 1080ti.
My understanding isn't perfect, but FreeSync is a more stringient extension of adaptive sync. Adaptive sync is a part of the display port standards: aka any conforming hardware can use it. FreeSync takes it a step further with tighter restrictions on what qualifies as FreeSync, more so with FreeSync2.

Back