• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Gaming Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WarWolf

I'm putting together a list of parts for a gaming computer I plan on building. I'm fairly experienced with computers, but since this will be my first build I figured it would probably be a good idea to get some suggestions and tips from people who have more experience.

I've spent some time reading the forums and other gaming computer topics, so I'll try to answer some common questions here.

I plan on (of course) running games on it, which I would like to have run at smooth fps at high (preferably max) settings, though I am limited by a 60Hz monitor. Games such as Skyrim, Witcher 2, BF3, Fallout, Cysis, Assassin's Creed 3, etc. Along with gaming I want to play around with the Unreal Development Kit which is somewhat intensive, but it should run fine if the computer runs high detail games.

My budget is $900, but that could be stretched a little. I have all the peripherals and an OS, so the budget is purely for the computer hardware.

I'm in the US, and no I don't have a Microcenter near me. I'm planning on ordering from whichever reputable store has the lowest price.

Overclocking isn't a big concern, I would like trying it, but it isn't anywhere close to a requirement. I've dealt with a noisy laptop for a while so as long as it isn't super loud noise doesn't matter. Size doesn't matter either.

Running SLI might be something in the future, but it would follow other upgrades, so not a huge concern right now.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z77MA-G45 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($107.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($307.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Rosewill 630W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
120mm Fan: Prolimatech PRO-RV12LED ($10.99 @ Newegg)
200mm Fan: BitFenix Spectre Pro ($23.50 @ Amazon)
Fan Controller: BitFenix Recon ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $904.91
(Generated by PCPartPicker)

Thank you.

That's a much better looking build than what I had found, thank you.

Another quick question, would it be worth it/a good idea to replace the thermal paste on the heatsink? Or will the stock paste work fine?

At the end of the day thermal paste is thermal paste there are some reasons but the one that comes with the 212+ is fine keeps my comp at 60 to 70 degrees

Back