• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gateway upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Como

Despite my efforts, i cant seem to find a post i KNOW i made.
Anyways, i need to upgrade a gateway.
System Serial Number: 0025667570
Motherboard Part Number: 2515128

It has 256 megs RAMbus ram.

Anywho, we've decided a full upgrade would be more cost effective than more ram, but i've got some questions.
First off, will a gateway case take a standard ATX motherboard? i was told they may not.
Also, Is a gateway PSU a standard ATX? i was told it may not be....

About hte motherbaord, i was told it may not use a standard removable backplate like standard ATX, so a standard ATX motherboard wont fit...is this true?

look at the hook up on the board to most likly there set-up for the gateway board and are all in one put ( power switch , reset . hd led , power led ) so then your new board wont be able to be pluged in

Last edited:
dead_man311 said:
look at the hooks up on the board to most likly there set-up for the gateway board and are all in one put ( power switch , reset . hd led , power led ) so then your new board wont be able to be pluged in

You mind trying that again and make a little more sense this time :p
Sounds like you've had too many of these :beer: ;)

You know your power switch cable and reset switch cables in the case. alot of time with factory computers there all in one lil plug , and that plug will not work in a aftermarket board.

dead_man311 said:
You know your power switch cable and reset switch cables in the case. alot of time with factory computers there all in one lil plug , and that plug will not work in a aftermarket board.

Thats true, but you could always cut the plug off and put new ends on the wires. I would just buy a new case if it came down to that. Its not like you have to spend a ton of money on a new one.

I just remodeled my pc using a Gateway case (G6-233).
It was ATX compatable and all the front panel connectors were as standard, not a single gang connector.

I can't speak to your case, but this one is the nicest of the four cases that Sprocket has been in so far.

well if it comes to modding the case (i'd love to do it but its not my case) i'll just buy him a new case (dynapower, $30 shipped with 400W generic PSU that seems to handle low end systems well)

and take the gateway case with the rest of the junk in it :p

good to hear one good story though, ever $30 counts in a sub $500 computer.

Back