• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce2 Ultra 2D Bleeding problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boyermd

i recently got a new system and new monitor (same video card that i had in my old system, Gainward GeForce 2 Ultra 500). Since getting the system together i've been having terrible problems with 2D bleeding in Windows. Sometimes it seems that if i run SETI and get the system hot the bleeding gets worse, but this isnt always constant as my cpu is at 39C and there is still significant 2D bleeding, like it's obnoxiously bad.

Has anyone else experienced 2D bleeding w/ their nVidia cards? I dont know if it's the monitor, the card, the system heat, or what.

i'm currently running the detonator 12.61 drivers. i put it back to the drivers that came on the card's cd, but it didnt change, still got bleeding.

thx everyone, i appreciate your input!

Well if it usually only happens when running seti, it must be a heat problem, what HSF do you have on your CPU, and how old is your monitor?

i did some more paying attention to the problem, and it's not just with SETI. i let my comp cool for awhile, started it back up and havent started SETI and it's getting the problem. at the moment the cpu is at about 40C (according to the gigabyte utility).

this problem was not occuring in my old system with the same monitor and same video card.

the monitor is kinda new. new to me, but a refurbished from NEC, got it off TigerDirect for such a good deal, 21" for $300! it has the normal 1yr warranty from NEC, so i'm not too worried. i guess this has something to do w/ the whole new system. grrr.

so no one else is having any bleeding problems w/ their nVidia cards? i had read someone else complaining about crappy 2D and bleeding w/ these chipsets (nVidia), so i was hoping there might be a solution out there.

thx for your input JH, i appreciate it.

Have you checked the suggested refresh rates for your monitor at different resolutions? That may help to lower your refresh rate then 100mhz. I'd try 85 or 75.

I'd suspect the monitor: BUT, it could be the mobo... Try putting a different mobo back in. I know it's a pain in the ***, but it's not as bad as RMAing the monitor if that's not the problem. I had a mobo kill a video card because its AGP slot was bad, so this isn't something to take lightly.

my refresh rates have been, and are still at 85Hz, running 1600x1280. i tried lowering the resolution and it still would "bleed".

i dont have another mobo compatible w/ this cpu. would it be an acceptable comparison to switch the monitor to just another computer? i still have my old computer, and i could get ahold of a roommate's, but no one else has an AMD DDR mobo around me. i'll also try the GeForce along w/ the monitor in another computer. but i guess i just wont be able to isolate if it's the mobo or not w/o having a switch out.

the 2D bleeding still seems to come and go, but now it's there more than it's away.

i really appreciate everyone's input, it's been so frustrating trying to get over this problem.

A friend has the Hercules Ultra card and when he used his new flatscreen on it, he could notice marks and such in the video out (ghosting, all sort of distortions). Replaced the vid card with his trusty dual display Matrox, and they went away.

He discovered it was a flaw in the Flatscreen out/hardware on the Hercules card. Since he doesn't game much anymore, he's decided to stick to the Matrox for video production he's current engaged in...

boyermd (Jun 29, 2001 07:14 a.m.):
my refresh rates have been, and are still at 85Hz, running 1600x1280. i tried lowering the resolution and it still would "bleed".

i dont have another mobo compatible w/ this cpu. would it be an acceptable comparison to switch the monitor to just another computer? i still have my old computer, and i could get ahold of a roommate's, but no one else has an AMD DDR mobo around me. i'll also try the GeForce along w/ the monitor in another computer. but i guess i just wont be able to isolate if it's the mobo or not w/o having a switch out.

the 2D bleeding still seems to come and go, but now it's there more than it's away.

i really appreciate everyone's input, it's been so frustrating trying to get over this problem.

Well if you put the monitor back on the other computer, and the problems go away (with the same graphics card) then it's almost definitely the mobo causing problems. Although it could be interference from your power supply or something (I guess). Mostly if the problems do NOT go away, then you know it's the monitor and you should RMA it.

I'd start out by swapping it to a different machine, that way you can isolate the monitor.

Back