• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RTX 3000 Series artifacts, black squares that flicker in desktop and 2D mode

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BenchAndGames

Registered
Want to make this post as maybe it will help other users that they think they got a faulty RTX 3000 cards, so if you have this similar issue you can breath relax because your graphic card its ok, the faulty are the nvidia drivers, like any version looks like only afect RTX 3000 series.

There is a issue with artifacts, black/white squares or dots flickering in desktop and 2D mode like more than 1 year old already with RTX 3000 series cards.

At first I tought my RTX 3070 was faulty, so I RMA and I receveid a new RTX 3070 but have same issue. I had the RTX 3070 with the issue from feb 2021 and now from july 2022 I have a new RTX 3080 and after 2 weeks of use, I got the issue again, also in the RTX 3080, so with this card, I tested 3 different cards that all of them has the issue. For me its triggered like 1 per month lets say, and you have to restart PC in order to fix it. I changed DP cable like 3 times aswell just in case.
There is another guy here that posted time ago this issue, he said he RMA his card aswell and the issue triggered for him aswell with the new graphic card.

The issue is very random, there is no chance to reproduce it, the funny fact is that it will have everytime same patron I mean everytime there are some squares that are flickering in desktop, if you move mouse they dissapear, apear again, flickering and most likely the nvidia driver will crash with display has stopped working and recovered. They thend to flicker at same spot every time. Here are some examples of the issue that I found from other users but all of them with RTX 3000 series cards.

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

I tested bunch of different driver versions, like from beggining of 2021 that I got first time the issue, untill now so there are alot of drivers and all are triggering the issue in certain moment. I did fresh windows install like 10 times

From 3070 to 3090ti and several drivers in between them, I've been lucky enough not to run into this.

Is the eureka moment here that it's a driver issue? So no fix?

If it was the driver, why some, but niot all (even kf the same exact card) ffected? What's the common thread between them?

From 3070 to 3090ti and several drivers in between them, I've been lucky enough not to run into this.

Is the eureka moment here that it's a driver issue? So no fix?

If it was the driver, why some, but niot all (even kf the same exact card) ffected? What's the common thread between them?
I don't understand your last question very well, but two RTX 3070 and one RTX 3080 that I have owned have had the problem, the thing is that it is a very rare problem, it doesn't happen every day, between the first time and the second, It's been over 4 months, then a few more weeks, another few month....

Is hard to find others with this issue, so it may not be very common, and actually is make sense due the fact that in my own case its very rare, I have to wait weeks or months to run into this.

And yes it has to be driver issue, because it triggered right after windows boot, not after playing or games, only on desktop but right after boot, like seconds or max 1 to 2 minutes than driver will crash.

I see some issues on open issues from last 10 drivers versions that still without beeing fixed, so its not very rare that some issues are just dont get fixed, and this one its not even listed there.

But if you think im wrong tell me what else can be if all this happaned on 3 different brand new cards, with few DP cables, on bunch of diferent driver versions, windows 10 and 11 fresh install several times, always using DDU when new driver install...than the guys from the videos, and plus I found others guys with same problem but not on youtube, on different forums, but yes they described exact same issue.

This guy he RMA the card aswell just like me and still got the issue on both cards

I think I understood your question:

Yes definitly we have something in common for this failure to occur, that is between my hardware and the hardware of other users who also have the failure.

Some components or configuration I suppose is pushing this failure to occur, it may be the monitor, it may be the RAM or hard drive, SSD in my case I dotn ahve any HDD, I don't know but clearly something has to be in common so that it also happens to me with 3 different cards...

Yes definitly we have something in common for this failure to occur, that is between my hardware and the hardware of other users who also have the failure.
Any other hardware shared? Because if it was just those cards and the drivers, I'd expect this to be more than a rare and intermittent issue, you know? Those are so difficult to troubleshoot. :(

Have you (and the others experiencing this, reported it to NV driver team?

something has to be in common so that it also happens to me with 3 different cards...
right... so if 3 GPUs didn't do it and a slew of drivers didn't help.................I wouldn't go all in on the drivers. It still could be, but,

like seconds or max 1 to 2 minutes than driver will crash.
Are you guessing this or do you actually see it happen in event viewer? If the driver 'crashes' can you load a game and play it just fine when you see this artifacting? It's curious... Im just wondering if its Windows and it's magical driver updates messing with you.

Can you list your other hardware, please? Monitor config.... etc?

Last edited:
Any other hardware shared? Because if it was just those cards and the drivers, I'd expect this to be more than a rare and intermittent issue, you know? Those are so difficult to troubleshoot. :(

Have you (and the others experiencing this, reported it to NV driver team?

right... so if 3 GPUs didn't do it and a slew of drivers didn't help.................I wouldn't go all in on the drivers. It still could be, but,

Are you guessing this or do you actually see it happen in event viewer? If the driver 'crashes' can you load a game and play it just fine when you see this artifacting? It's curious... Im just wondering if its Windows and it's magical driver updates messing with you.

Can you list your other hardware, please? Monitor config.... etc?

No im not guessing it, I do have it on event viewer that nvlddmkm stopped responding 4101, and recovered. Not always but most of the time, the thing is Im not waiting to much when I see this cuz I already know that if I restart the PC everythign will run perfect.

Yes I did some tests when this issue has occured to me, I tried to run heaven benchmark and those artifacts dosent show in there.

I will tell you the specs in cronologic time because from first time I had the issue I changed almost everything.

So first time this occurs to me I had: "about 3 to 4 times occured with this config"

GPU -- RTX 3070 MSI SUPRIM X
CPU -- INTEL CORE i7-10700K
RAM -- 32GB G.SKILL 3600 MHz
MB -- ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS
NVMe -- 1TB WD BLACK SN750
SSD -- 1TB SAMSUNG 870 QVO
PSU -- CORSAIR RM750x V2
MONITOR -- AOC 27G2U/BK 27" IPS 144Hz

Than I changed this: "here again few times happaned and is where I did a RMA warranty and receveid a new RTX 3070"

new RTX 3070 but same model
CPU -- INTEL CORE i7-12700K
MB -- Z690 MSI TOMAHAWK
NVMe -- 2TB WD BLACK SN850

Now about 2 months ago I changed those:

GPU -- RTX 3080 ASUS TUF
PSU -- CORSAIR RM850x 2021

So about month after I got it again, but as always same patron.

Right on boot black squares that flicker moving the mouse, jsut liek the guys from the videos, if you look them all paying atention you will see that they got same patron.
And plus my case is exactly the same as one of the guy that I got exactly in the same spot and exactly same number of black squares that flickering.
This is why im sure is has to be driver issue.

See this video:

sorry that in video is personal information, but the video is public its not private or hiden, remove it if cannot be here.

Look from 0:07 seconds, you will see that he starting having 2 black squares in the right side, so I do have exactly in the same spot and 2 of them, then if I keep triggering the issue I starting see more squares like this guy

Also forget to say that almost all the time the squares in my case are in the same position, and starting with 2.

if you look them all paying atention you will see that they got same patron
What do you mean by have the same patron?

Also, youre aware three of these videos are from the same person, right?

Again, have you reported this to nvidia? The other users? That's what you need to do.

What do you mean by have the same patron?

Also, youre aware three of these videos are from the same person, right?

Again, have you reported this to nvidia? The other users? That's what you need to do.
My bad wanted to say they have the same pattern, aleays flikering at same time when.mouse moved, always on same spot, same quantity.

Yes I know some videos are from same guy, as I said is very hard to find people with this issue

I made a post on geforce forum yes is that what you mean if there is another way please give me the link

Post in the forum and privately via chat.

It would be awesome if you linked the thread you started at the GeForce forum.....................the more information we have, the better. It really looks like a memory artifacting issue to me.

Thankfully, it does seem rare and intermittent. A tough problem to resolve, but at least it isn't constant.

Is there a new BIOS available for the card (at the card's webpage?). If there is, consider upgrading. :shrug:

Last edited:

Post in the forum and privately via chat.

It would be awesome if you linked the thread you started at the GeForce forum.....................the more information we have, the better. It really looks like a memory artifacting issue to me.

Thankfully, it does seem rare and intermittent. A tough problem to resolve, but at least it isn't constant.

Is there a new BIOS available for the card (at the card's webpage?). If there is, consider upgrading. :shrug:
I apreciate you help but I refuse to belive its a GPU issue, there is just no way I have the exact same artifact pattern on 3 different video cards I just refuse to belive, and last one just after few weeks of use. I wouldn't believe even with two, but what to say with 3

Keep an open mind is all I'm saying. The driver may be it, absolutely, I just wouldn't bet the farm on it with the information we have so far. Im just trying to figure out another common thread besides NV 3000 series.... (likely similar to what NV will have you try.............).

But please post the forum thread you started with NV/GeForce.. I'd love to see how they go about troubleshooting and help.

EDIT: I owned a Suprim X (3080Ti moved to SupX 3090Ti I have currently).. Asus TUF 3070 (running old 496.13 drivers as of today) and own a Zotac 3050. V5 is the latest BIOS version for your card. I mean, it couldn't hurt to try... it's free... and NV will likely have you update anyway.

Last edited:
It reminds me of artifacts that occur when forcing Gsync on a monitor that doesn't support it. Does your monitor support Gsync? Or is it off ?

Does it occur when monitors are switched?. ..say run on a TV for a few months.

In the 6 3000's I have had it has not occurred. (My monitor does support Gsync) The 65" TV used on 2 PC's does not support it.

Admittedly I am spitting in the wind here... :giggle:

Last edited:
Wish he would've linked his thread at nvidia.....
....third time asking is a charm??!!! :bday:

Did the OP report the bug??

Feel left hanging here, lol...

Back