• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce4 Ti cooling (not stock), 54k - beware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
threeme2189 said:
the geforce 2 mx 400 is a nice nvidia card also!
our p4 1800 still uses one and it runs every game we throw at it (not max resolution or quality but it gets the job done)..

*Scratches Head* :confused:

consumer9000 said:
*Scratches Head* :confused:
:shrug:

I'm in the same boat my 'rents have a 1.8 p4 w/ a geforce 2 and it spits out everything we try to feed it....when it comes to newer titles i wonder if they have the same gateway we do.......

So there's a photo of my card with 4 RAMsinks added:
XFX_sinks.jpg
And sinks photos:
photo 1
photo 2
photo 3
I don't direct link to photos, as some 56kers may be browsing...

What you an see is half of CM P4 cooler. Base height is reduced to decrease weight. 3M tape is used to keep them in place, as I don't like epoxy. Remaining 4 ramsinks will be added in a week. I've misscalculated surface last time - it's around 120cm^2 for 6-fins ramsink and around 140cm^2 for 7-fins one. Set of 4 sinks adds around 100g to card's weight.

Raw cost:
Prescott heatsink - $3.50
CM heatsink - $3.00
3M thermal tape - $1.50 including shipping
some screws and metal sheets - found in workshop :)
grand total - $8.00

Modding:
by me and my leet grandpa - priceless :D

Credits:
Navig - for showing that putting Prescott cooler on graphics card isn';t that stupid
my grandpa - for his help - ideas, advices and working with me. Without him my card would have pretty stock cooler now.

hell yea man. venom, its kinda inspiring to see what you did with that card. I'd like to get into modding someday but there is no real way to get 'into it', I suppose you have to just jump in with trial and error.

as for all with the GF4, man that card was a beauty back in the day. was my first decent vid card, excellent for OC'ing even with stock cooler, too bad she died on me. alas, you will be remembered my ti4200 . . . :cry:

R. I. P.

"All that for a geforce 4?" - I've got many reaons.
1. I enjoy modding it
2. I'm a silence freak - this card can run passive in 2D now
3. With my current parts, that's the only thing I can overclock
4. I don't plan to get other parts in nearest future, because I can't afford anything that is better than what I have.

Yeah, I'm just poor and computer parts here are often 2x more expensive than in America. For example, when XP-120s appeared there, they were around $120, converting to USD. I wanted to get A64 with some 6600GT, but it's pretty expensive. Rig with that would cost me >$1k, and that's without display. Maybe when I get more cash, I'll buy something better.

And if you want to get into modding... For example I simply had to - my old cooler died and replacements were expensive and offered poor performance, so I looked at AMD cooler and thought "I want to have that on my graphics card". If I could suggest something - think what you could mod (like to make duct or sotmehing), check what tools you have and what you can do with them (I usually do modding stuff at my grandpa's - he has tons of great tools).
Then just look for parts and do what you planned. If you hasitate - you won't do anything. Just get parts, grab tools and enjoy it :)

Good job Venom. Do you know how much power the gpu draws? I can't seem to find out with a quick google search, but since the card looks like it takes all of its power from the agp slot it can't be much. You might be able to put a pelt on that thing.

LabRat23 said:
Good job Venom. Do you know how much power the gpu draws? I can't seem to find out with a quick google search, but since the card looks like it takes all of its power from the agp slot it can't be much. You might be able to put a pelt on that thing.

Oh thanks... Pelt.. That doesn't sound bad - smaller pelts are pretty cheap.
I'm not sure about power, but I think it exceeds AGP standart. A freind of mine has 9700 @ pro. It has some additoional pwoer connector, but it was hotter than my card. I had possibility to compare that, as when my cooler died, he's just got his Silencer and gave me his 9700 cooler. So I lapped it and made some clamps to make it fit on my card. When I compared temperatures, by touching backside of card where GPU is, mine was hotter. I know that it's not very accurate test, but this card produces lots of heat. My earlier cooler (GlacialTech Igloo 2411 for Athlon XP) wasn't enough to run it passive.

Perhaps 80W TEC would do the job... Another issue is that I rarely play games - I mostly do programming stuff and my comp runs almost 24/7 (folding). Would it be a problem if I switched TEC off?

I had TEC in plans earlier, but I've forgotten about it. It's not a bad idea, thanks for suggestion.

Venom, why don't you hook up with someone state side to buy you junk and mail it over? I live close to Directron and I have lots of friends there. I get a 4% discount and don't pay tax, usually when I factor that in, I can usually get stuff cheaper there than anywhere else, including newegg and ZZF, because I don't have to ship it.

The good thing is, you can ship junk quickly and cheaply, with the flat rate global priority packages, I was selling left over hard drives from modded xbox for like $10 on ebay, and for some reason lots of people from poland and norway got them.

If you wanna talk shop and about getting some parts let me know man.

Venom: If those are your circumstances I say go for it. I actually am sort of a hypocrite for saying that. I have a old northwood P4 heatsink on my ti4600.

namgorf said:
Venom, why don't you hook up with someone state side to buy you junk and mail it over? I live close to Directron and I have lots of friends there. I get a 4% discount and don't pay tax, usually when I factor that in, I can usually get stuff cheaper there than anywhere else, including newegg and ZZF, because I don't have to ship it.

The good thing is, you can ship junk quickly and cheaply, with the flat rate global priority packages, I was selling left over hard drives from modded xbox for like $10 on ebay, and for some reason lots of people from poland and norway got them.

If you wanna talk shop and about getting some parts let me know man.

Good idea, thanks. I can't have Paypal account, but bank transfer should do the job probably...

tenchi86 said:
Nice work venom. Looks like you getting some good results out of it. Do the ram sinks help any?

They helped, even as I have only 4 RAMsinks and 8 mem chips (the other side will be sinked in a week). In 2D, when I run passive (that fan doesn't like undervolting), RAMsinks get pretty hot, but they, similiar as RAMchips on opposite side of card are cooler than RAMchips were before, so it's good.

Overclocking - with fan on, sinks are cool. They're not even warm. Temperature of chips on other side is also decreased.
Earlier - I was playing with mem @ 567, when it was cold in room - 580 (or random freezes if that was a bit hotter), I could run 594 without artifacts for very limited time - less than half minute.
Now - it passed 3DMark03 tests @ 594. At such speeds, sinks are still cool, but RAMchips on opposite side are pretty warm. I think I might expect some issues when there was very hot in room, but with complete set of 8 sinks there should be no problems. I doubt I'll be able to pass 600MHz, as next speed I can set is 607.5MHz, perhaps Vmod would make it possible.

So as you see, RAMsinks are cool, when something blows on them. I can't tell you the temperature of them and of RAMchips, but when I touch these sinks, they're like cold metal. So some might call it an overkill and tell that if they hadn't got 120cm^2 surface, but 20, that would be still ok. With active cooling it would be probably enough, but as I run that passive most of time, they have to be huge - this way bigger amounts of air get hotter and create stronger natural airflow.

man_utd said:
Probably buying under the counter, but lets not discuss such things.

Actually I have a reseller account with them, I used to have a Tax ID and pay the taxes at the end of the year, but now I buy so little, like maybe a few grand a year, that I don't bother with the taxes anymore. They also don't seem to mind that I havent renewed my tax ID.

In the state of texas, we can get our sales tax back on our state return, I just don't and consider it even :)

But regardless, I still get a discount, so anyone from outside the US feel free to contact me. I'll hook you up, especially with small stuff like cpus and video cards, I can send them in the flat rate packages for like $8

ok man .. now go to radio shack and get a couple 10k trimmers. grab some old wire you have laying around and your solder gun.. begin volt mod !! that card should go higher with the right amount of volts.. and beings you have a uber nice cooler it should get you pretty far .. i did the same with my ti4600 man it overclocked nice .. i just wish i had a super duty cooler like you had.. come one please !! i wanna see what it can do !!

Xtreme Barton said:
ok man .. now go to radio shack and get a couple 10k trimmers. grab some old wire you have laying around and your solder gun.. begin volt mod !! that card should go higher with the right amount of volts.. and beings you have a uber nice cooler it should get you pretty far .. i did the same with my ti4600 man it overclocked nice .. i just wish i had a super duty cooler like you had.. come one please !! i wanna see what it can do !!

:D <-- the best response I can give to what you've written
I planned a tricky thing - to have double switch that would turn on fan and vmod simultanously. I don't want to fry my card :D
vmod is in plans - that's for sure. I'm not sure if passive cooling could handle it; this night I've forgotten to declock it when I was turning off the fan, but it was still running without any issues, when I turned on display in the morning (328.5 / 594)
I mostly wanted to make some kind of application and ciurcuit, that would change fan speed, voltage and overclock at once. Maybe that would be some kind of relay connected to USB or COM port with some additional electronics + simple program to adjust it... Anyway if htat fails, I'll end with a dual switch.

There are no radioshack stores in Poland, but there are lots of other electronics shops around.

Back