• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeforceFX 5900 Ultra Pictures ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes 499 is out of the question. That's why I eagerly await the "4200" version of the 5900.

Also....... who gives a shi* about covering a PCI slot? Even with a sound card and NIC card I still have 3 PCI slots left. If I had used onboard sound and had onboard NIC I would have nothing in my PCI slots.

A Radeon AIW could take care of the video, video capture, and dual monitors...........all in one. :D

But these are two different kinds of people you're talking about here. Some have a streamlined gaming-oriented system with no extra junk in the way, others like to have all the little bells and whistles. Personally, I don't want anything plugged into my expansion slots besides a video card and a nice sound card. I have a network card, mainly because I can never get the onboard stuff to work right.

Da_Beeblebrox said:

How does your list differ from his. The 5900u is going to be better than your 9800 pro i imagine, so no. They are not up there the same.

Well, from the reviews, they are equallt matched...so yes they are up there on the same level ;)

Samoyed said:
Yes 499 is out of the question. That's why I eagerly await the "4200" version of the 5900.

Also....... who gives a shi* about covering a PCI slot? Even with a sound card and NIC card I still have 3 PCI slots left. If I had used onboard sound and had onboard NIC I would have nothing in my PCI slots.

Did someone say they didn't like it because it covers the top PCI slot?

The quote from me and the comment about it was as to wether or not the card picture was real (and it was before the official release if pics) not complaining about it.

Da_Beeblebrox said:

How does your list differ from his. The 5900u is going to be better than your 9800 pro i imagine, so no. They are not up there the same.

It doesn't beat it with higher then 8x AF or 4 x AA and as of now the AA quality is so poor its not even funny, but that may be a bug. As of right now you can put the low quality speed crown on its head, but until it can take the high quality speed crown I wouldn't put it above the 9800 just yet.

Lets say for a moment that the 2 cards are pretty equal. The 9800 sells for about 100 less last time I looked. NVidia will have to win us back with competative prices as well as good products.

Damian said:
But that's the 128mb 9800. I think the 256mb 9800 costs about as much as the 256mb 5900.

True, but there is not 128mb 5900U to compete with the 128mb 9800 Pro ;) So it is infact about $100 cheaper for the same performance

My guess (guess, not fact) is no. nVidia has a competing product now, which they will use to try and sell their pos FX cards. They've done it in the past successfully, and im sure they will try it again

Evnas said:

True, but there is not 128mb 5900U to compete with the 128mb 9800 Pro ;) So it is infact about $100 cheaper for the same performance

The 256meg version of the R has higher frequncies but it still lags behind despite this because of the latency of all of the mem chips. All of the benchies I have seen show the 128meg and the 256meg cards right on each other, sometimes a TINY bit ahead or behind. And the R9800 256Meg is just as fast as the FX5900 overall IMO. In 3D Mark 2k3 the R lost by a fair amount and in games the FX lost by a fair amount. I wonder which will prove to be the faster card.

Evnas....STOP! Come down off the ATI is god trip, come down here and listen.

ATI and nVidia have been going back and forth for as long as I can remember, sometimes they get ahead by a lot (ti4600 was destorying 8500....9700 destroys the 4600 or a little, (8500 hardly beat the GF3, the 5900u will probably ahrdly beet the 9800). This is what we call a "pattern".

I wouldn't have said what I did in the top of my post but you started this argument by being arrogant and stating "...bogus 'for sure'..." then raving about the 9800 and bogus bench marks.

And your point is what? I think they did this to try to compensate for the exra latency of having more memory chips. Regardless, it still gets beaten by the 5900U in almost all cases that I have seen. The newer R thing that is coming out should be awesome though 450+Mhz core :drool:

alright, im still an ati fan and im about to get the r9700np which i think is enough since 2xAA/8xAF both performance are well enough for me. Sure nVidia recaped the higher end of the market, but ATI still has all the lower segments covered, it just needs some popularity. ATI wont dissapoint us, just w8 for the .13 r400...

congrats nvidiots, enjoy while you can :p

Back