• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geil PC2 6400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have these sticks too and I can only do 4-4-4-12 at 980 (2.1V) before I have to loosen timings. Havent pumped high volts through yet though.

Hmm 980 with 2.1v yours sound better than mine:bang head :mad: :eek:...lol. I really havent tried to see what they will do at 2.1v though.I know they will do DDR 800 4-4-4-10 at 1.8v

Last edited:
Chaos_Being said:
I've got a pair of this ram incoming soon- hopefully I'll have some nice results like you guys :D

keep us updated.Im sure you will have good results im totally happy with mine.They Blow away my frist set pf OCZ' Gold 8800 XTC's

Edited: Got my OCZ's back from RMA and they work great.

Last edited:
Well I just got my OCZ's back and this sets works like D9's should 2.4v and DDR2 1100 at 4-4-4-15.Ok its not 100% stable.I know because Every time i open my browser i get that little box that pops that says such and such has expereniced an error blah blah. But it did boot and run all everest memory bench marks with out problem and with the best score this system has ever got...So what to do now.I dont need 2 sets of ram and a really like the Geils but these OCZ's are pretty good this time

Last edited:
I have pretty much everything for my build except the motherboard now, which isn't due to arrive until the 30th. I'm planning on testing the max fsb/ram overclock first, and with that information in mind, then doing the max cpu overclock. I'll report back :)

I'm starting to mess around with my pair of this ram, and I'm a bit surprised and confused so far to be honest. I haven't tried overclocking my system yet, as I just finished it on Sunday (I always do a 24hr test at stock speeds first.) That also meant that I had just left the ram's default settings of 5-5-5-15 during this testing, although I did change the ram voltage to 2.1v. It was also running at 408mhz vs. 400, as Abit puts a small default oc in the QuadGT bios. Last night I decided to start seeing what the ram could do, so I first set it to 4-4-4-12. After I rebooted, I ran 3dmark06 so I could get a baseline score to compare for later. And, it froze almost immediately. I tried again after a reboot, and it did the same thing. I then set the ram back to 5-5-5-15, and 3dmark completed a run without any problems. Hmmm...so I put the ram back to 4-4-4-12, ran memtest for windows, and it encountered an error. Thinking it just didn't have enough volts, I raised the volts a bit, to 2.15v, which seemed to help, and then ran regular memtest off a boot cd overnight.

This morning, I woke up to find that memtest found over 800 errors through 30-something passes :( All of the errors seemed to be in test 7. So, before I left for work, I went step by step, increasing the ram voltage by .025v each time, and then running test 7. It kept throwing back errors, and soon I noticed a pattern...sure enough, the more voltage I gave it, the more errors I got. For kicks, I ran the ram all the way up to 2.3v (the max it's supposed to be rated for,) which spammed out a TON of errors almost immediately. At that point, I was suspecting I had bad ram, and I needed to go to work. So, I put the ram at "stock" speeds, 400mhz, 4-4-4-12, put the voltage back down to 2.1v, and let it run through the day.

When I came home, it had run for 9+ hours, with 1 error on test 7. I bumped the voltage down to 2.075v, and have been running memtest error-free for the past 4 hours at 400mhz. So far, it doesn't seem that my ram is faulty after all, but that it hates voltage! :eek: I'm not sure how this is going to affect it's overclockability, as everyone seems to give this ram some extra volts as the speed climbs. I guess I'll just have to loosen timings...who knows. Either way, I'm going to let it run overnight at 400mhz, 4-4-4-12, 2.075v, and see what the morning brings.

400mhz, 4-4-4-12, 2.075v was memtest stable for ~22 hours, before I stopped the test. So yeah, it looks like my ram is fine, it just doesn't like high volts. As to how it's going to overclock, we'll see...I'm working on oc'ing my cpu now to see how far it's going to go, then I'll figure out what I want to do with the ram :)

Chaos_Being said:
400mhz, 4-4-4-12, 2.075v was memtest stable for ~22 hours, before I stopped the test. So yeah, it looks like my ram is fine, it just doesn't like high volts. As to how it's going to overclock, we'll see...I'm working on oc'ing my cpu now to see how far it's going to go, then I'll figure out what I want to do with the ram :)

Um, your ram is rated for 400mhz 4-4-4-12. I don't think you need to bump the voltage at all. The specified voltage is 1.9v. Try running memtest at that.

Also, can you push the ram higher and increase the voltage while at a higher speed? May sound strange, but the voltage you're pumping into it at such a low frequency may be causing the errors.

-Collin-

Im in exactly same boat i am too running in single channel mode after 1 of my ballistix went bad and i have bought 2gb of the geil 6400 for and unbeleivable £58.99 inc vat to tide me until rma on ballistix is complete. those geil sticks were selling for £200 in december last year,now thats a saving. Seems like ddr3 is going to do wonders for ddr2 prices i might stock up on it and sell it on ebay for ludicrous prices in years to come just like sd ram sells for now mwuhahaha :p

Oc1Kenube said:
Im in exactly same boat i am too running in single channel mode after 1 of my ballistix went bad and i have bought 2gb of the geil 6400 for and unbeleivable £58.99 inc vat to tide me until rma on ballistix is complete. those geil sticks were selling for £200 in december last year,now thats a saving. Seems like ddr3 is going to do wonders for ddr2 prices i might stock up on it and sell it on ebay for ludicrous prices in years to come just like sd ram sells for now mwuhahaha :p

Got it from Overclockers.co.uk didn't you. :D

Geil told me my sticks are most likely D9's.They said if they do 4-4-4-12 at 1000mhz with 2.3v then they are more than likely D9's

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Geils response to my Questions

Originally Posted by mothow
Hi Andy
I noticed you were helping out some people in the forum with info on the IC's in there ram.Well I have a set of Geil DDR2 800 from newegg and im wondering if maybe these have D9's? Maybe some slipped in.I know spek tek-3 are what IC's this ram normally comes with but mine OC to 1100 at 5-6-6-15 and 1020 at 4-4-4-12 with 2.3v.I have a set of OCZ with D9GMH IC's and these Geil's act and OC the same.Plus I know spek tek is a part of micron.

here is whats on the hologram sticker
DDR2 800 CL 4-4-4-12
voltage 1.9 to 2.3v
GX22GB6400UDCA=
PN105ST6CQ4562B
assembled n USA
week 15 year 2007

Are spek tek-3 IC's UUT D9's?
Thanks for your help Tom

Hi Tom, it depends on the batch. Some are SpecTek's, some are Micron D9GMH. If you can take it to 1000MHz and over @ 2.3v, then it is D9GMH. However, the SpecTeks aren't too bad either.

GeIL USA, Inc.
14011 12th St.
Chino, CA 91710
T: (909)993-5998
F: (909)993-5991
E: [email protected]
Support: [email protected]

Last edited:
Mine post at 1067 @ 2.3v but i get the stupid vista system error when loading into the Os dropped em back to 800 and os loads np,any ideas?

Ok i have got these babys running fine at almost 1000mhz oc seems stable so far,i want another 2gb at this price.

memoc.jpg

Last edited:
Try putting them to 2.4v and put some active cooling on the ram.Or try raising tras to 18 or 19..I set my ram on auto and at 1066 my board set them to 5-7-7-19

Um, your ram is rated for 400mhz 4-4-4-12. I don't think you need to bump the voltage at all. The specified voltage is 1.9v. Try running memtest at that.

I figured they put 1.9v on the sticker so to say because even though they're rated for 4-4-4-12, their spd programming is actually 5-5-5-15 (for greater initial compatibility, I believe.)

It turned out that they were stable at 400mhz/ddr-800 at 2.075v, 4-4-4-12. I'm currently testing them at 5-5-5-15, 472mhz/ddr-945, 2.1v. That's going along with my [email protected], 9x378 (past that is pushing the vcore too high,) with a ratio of 4:5. Lets see how that goes :)

gigabit said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144062

I just ordered this to hold me over so i can RMA my OCZ's.I should have them by tuesday i hope then i can RMA my OCZ's.Right now im using one module in single channel:bang head But what do you guys think of this stuff is it any good.I know its not D9 stuff but for $134.99 shipped i figured wtf.A few weeks ago it was over $230.And from the reviews it OC's pretty well .And im only looking for DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 and that just what its rated at

Well i was wrong it is D9GMH.Not spectek-3 like the ram list says
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=516747

Back