• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED General purpose rig for my wife (no fancy oc)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Qlix

So I'm feeling generous and have decided its time to get my wife off of her e8400 and into something a little more stylish.

Im looking for a mobo/CPU combo under $250, brand does not matter, dual core is more than adequate for her use, unless the price is te same. I don't know jack about amd anymore but I am open to suggestions. Also, how do the i3's improve over old c2d's.

Thanks in advance

My suggestion for a $250 mobo and cpu
GIGABYTE GA 970A UD3
http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GA-9...62866130&sr=8-1&keywords=gigabyte+ga+970a+ud3
AMD Phenom II X6 2.7ghz
http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-10...d=1362866188&sr=1-1&keywords=amd+phenom+ii+x6

This's a pretty good combo, free shipping from Amazon and the bonus is you can actualy oc the cpu too.
If you feel gemerous, you can add a ssd to your wife pc too
http://www.amazon.com/OCZ Technolog...UTF8&qid=1362866358&sr=1-9&keywords=120gb+ssd

i'd go with and AMD APU.

AMD A4-5300 ~55$
MSI FM2-A85XMA-E35 ~90$
2x2gb of 1333-1600mhz ram ~30$

total : ~170$
Add more ram or better CPU if you feel the need. The 4 core A6-3650 is ~80$.

** A85, mostly for more features like more USB/Sata 3, can be usefull **

I built an AMD APU rig for my mother about 1yr ago and she really enjoy it.

i'd go with and AMD APU.

AMD A4-5300 ~55$
MSI FM2-A85XMA-E35 ~90$
2x2gb of 1333-1600mhz ram ~30$

total : ~170$
Add more ram or better CPU if you feel the need. The 4 core A6-3650 is ~80$.

** A85, mostly for more features like more USB/Sata 3, can be usefull **

I built an AMD APU rig for my mother about 1yr ago and she really enjoy it.

+1 but add at least 8 gig since the graphics share system memory. Also go with at least 1600mhz or better, the AMD APUs love lots of ram and fast ram.

^^ agree for the memory sharing but i dont think she play games. So in the end, its pretty useless. But ram is cheap !

She's got a gtx560ti, 16 gigs of crucial 1333 already. I shouldn't say 100% general use, WoW (shes a top 50 world hunter lol) and sims 3 are pretty much always on lol. Also, I will have an 1155 mobo I can take advantage of if its beneficial (which is why I asked about i3s)

Well then, if she play games, this is a diferent "game" ! ;) Maybe an I3 and decent z77 board. mATX ? or ATX ?

I3 + Asrock Z77 Xtreme4 or Xtreme6 are cheap and good. Keep the ram you already have.

I've heard a lot of talk about the extreme4/6 boards lately... Are they really that good for their price? I may pickup one for myself :p

I'm concerned because I've read a lot about misread voltages or something?

I am personnally a big Asus fan when it comes to motherboard. But price from asrock are strong and for a casual user, you wont alwais need to pay extra coin to get an asus board.

Asus P8Z77-V LE : ~160$
Asus P8Z77-V : ~190$
Asrock Xtreme4 : ~150$
Asrock Xtreme6 : ~175$

The Xtrm4 dont really lack any important feature and is still a strong board. Mostly for the price !

I am personnally a big Asus fan when it comes to motherboard. But price from asrock are strong and for a casual user, you wont alwais need to pay extra coin to get an asus board.

Asus P8Z77-V LE : ~160$
Asus P8Z77-V : ~190$
Asrock Xtreme4 : ~150$
Asrock Xtreme6 : ~175$

But buying one of those mobo mean the op won't have money left for cpu, read his first post, he's only want a $250 mobo and cpu combo, that are the reason i recommend a AMD Phenom 2 X6 and the Gigabyte GA 970A UD3.

Right... But the 250 limit only applied if I was buying a whole new combo. Edit: as in I still needed to budget a board for myself afterwards :p

As I said I need to upgrade my board as well, if I do that then she could be getting my current board, in which case I just buy me a board and her a processor. I can do the extreme 6 and an i3 and still be under budget

Last edited:
The extreme6 is only $119 open box from new egg :) $159 new

Im looking at newegg.ca ;) Our price are alwais a bit higher :(

An I3 is a very good chip for casual gaming and dayli usage. You wont need big cooler and the chip wont pull too much watts on the PSU. I have a friend you dont have much money to spend on computers but like gaming and i run an I3 with a 550ti, he is VERY happy with the setup.

Ok so I think that would be the best way to go to not be buying 2 boards.. Now... An i3 sandy or ivy

Wont change that much between an SB or IB. If you can find a SB for cheaper cause they are "old"... go for it !

And the board shell be getting is a p67. Which will play nicely with sandy.

So heres the wishlist that I chose, not sure if this is private or not, I selected share but who the hell knows

Wife:
i3 2105 w/ H90 combo 186.00
Corsair Carbide 300R 70.00
Cougar 120mm fans x2 for side panel 10.00 ea
P8P67-Pro Hand-me-down :p

Me:
The H90 from the above combo
Cougar 140mm fans x2 for H90 push/pull 20.00 ea
AsRock Extreme6 160.00

also... how do i get sleeving like this:
300r_side_open_built_zps043de1dd.png

Last edited: