• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water, Wood, and PCs Oh MY

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I set the one running pump to 1.5 almost 2ish, basically at the point where I ceased to hear it. Now I'm monitoring the temperatures at idle and under load. The days have been good so the room temps have been relatively stable. I've noticed a 2 degree increase. My idle sits around 37C and load maxes around 45-46C. I have the GTs at 40% push on the rads now.

I think I have to readjust my expectations. I originally wanted the build to be unnoticeable. Literally not to be able to tell there was a desk running two computers. With 10 fans, 12 if you include the psu's, I'm not sure it's feasible. I will try some foam material in the rear section (space is at a premium back there) and see if the chamber is resonating and amplifiying the noise.

If the frozenq res arrives then I'm going to stick sight that since its paid for and it will feed both systems. If I have any issues with the res in the res combo ill just get a top for them. Now if I have another issue with frozenq that is definitely an option. Then I'll have to figure out what to do with this open space between the two systems though

The power is out at the moment (I'm "typing" this on my phone lol). Sitting next to the desk wishing this was how it sounded when it was on but alas you can't get everything all at once...gotta put in some tinkering time to get where you need to be.

Do you know what's gonna be really fun aka probably the biggest pain? Draining the loops....

So you remember how I said I wasn't going to OC....well I changed my mind at least on the server side UNTIL as I was researching I found that the DG33tl does not overclock...ugh well it's long in the tooth anyway so I guess I'll wait to upgrade that.

Last edited:
So a bit of an update.

School is winding down for the semester so I will be able to get more work done. the XSPC res had a leak but they sent out a replacement extremely quickly. Got that installed and everything is peachy!

Still waiting on the Res from FrozenQ but from the info on another forum it looks like he had a fire in the shop so stuff has been chaotic. Not a reason for poor communication but does provide a little back story.

Before I even 99% (nothings ever 100 right) complete I am thinking of scrapping this one and building one that has a shorter profile (the actual belly of the desk), moving the rads and all but the OS drives out of sight. What do you all think about that or is it the visual preference to have as many of the components visible as possible?

Very nice so far looking forward to v1.1 :)

If I might suggest...

If you have the time to let the wood cure, Use stain and a few poly coats on your next build. It looks fantastic and is extremely durable. (I solder on mine then just flick the cold solder off :) )

Something I noted on my desk build. I used standard heights for mine. right pedestal is IIRC 17" wide to hold server cases and stereo equipment, left pedestal is only 10 inches wide I think, I put my subwoofer in it. The desktop is I think 30 something inches which is too high ergonomically for prolonged usage, I only know this because I am using it and get arm ache after prolonged sessions. Initially I used a piece of bullnosed MDF to make a 35" wide (2' deep) keyboard tray and that was perfect, I dropped my chair a little and it puts monitors at eye level and keyboard tray rolled out just over the arms of my chair.

Stupid me I took apart the keyboard tray to make a benching station lol .

(to have the KB tray roll out, a set of heavy duty drawer rollers from home depot is like 15 bucks :) )

My desk is made to be taken apart and reassembled with no tools because I like to move it around, so the top just drops on to the pedestals. I used 2x4s though so its heavy and strong :)

Thanks!!

Ah yes I understand your ergonomics issue. at 31.5 inches its a bit too high, not to mention the desk section is a little more than 6 inches itself so not much chair adjustment is possible. Thats one of the issues to be tackled.

I stained this one but I don't think I was as patient as I should have been and went too heavy as it has a shinier finish than I would like. I will remember your suggestion when the second build starts!

Yeah I did not do a clear top on mine. Which I originally wanted to do only one one side.

My build log is here

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614414 just over 100k threads ago :)

I never did finish mine as all the changes I would make now need a redesign. I would go higher on the desktop and make the desk deeper (at least 36") and extend width to 8' from the 6' i have now, but use the correct height KB tray again. But add wire clips to it. I have a desktop lamp/magnifying glass for micro soldering now, and since it is a cheap one it will not just stand straight up out of the way. So would incorporate that low cost solution into the design too. I would also find away to incorporate a decent sound system into. If nothing else at least a pair of good bookshelves if not the front 3.1 part of a 5.1 setup.

Ultimately though, my ideal computer chair is a lazy boy recliner with wide microfiber arms good for mousing, so next mod for me might not even be a desk :) Just gotta get the multi monitors somehow 3' in front of my face, for complete immersion :)

As for for noise issues. Certain pumps just are loud I had a 655 that everyone said was loud. but it was not compared to the 355 I had before it (um, the two basic pump designs, not sure which model it was, proper mounting is essential not foam, I used a 1/2" thick foam that I screwed the mounting plate through. put intake needs to be pointed up to reduce pump vibration. And fans work better with less resistance for airflow. In my experience, if you put all your rads exhausting and maybe use larger rads, maybe the entire back with no wall diving the desktop and just use pillars and some strap for desktop support. Even the PSUs can be mounted in their traditional position if you use a 140mm hole saw to pull air from the bottom to reduce turbulence inside the desktop, you can just use a couple of intakes for some direct air cooling right next to the motherboards, and leave grilled opening elsewhere you will greatly reduce the noise. But sound is subjective. it all depends on background noise and if you use headphones, then Ultrakaze 3K 38mm fans wont seem loud :)

For testing you can use some some thin nails to test your layout and use them as drill holes for your screws when you have a finished design in mind.

I prize silence so in my i7 build, I used a 4x120 rad for the CPU alone. I have never watercooled a GPU, as full cover blocks are so pricey as so useless except for that one card. And since I run ATI/AMD cards usually it is the VRMs that are the limiting factor in overclocking.

For the desktop support, you might have already done it, but using some 12" shelf braces will drastically increase your leg design strength as well for front to back support. as they will get a work out since with that design you can not mount flush against a wall. Thick short pan heads for mounting.

Just ideas, not sure how many of them are good :) Hope it Helps.

Still waiting on the Res from FrozenQ but from the info on another forum it looks like he had a fire in the shop so stuff has been chaotic. Not a reason for poor communication but does provide a little back story.

Again, I feel bad from what I've read has happened to the young fella but at the same time I've seen people complain prior to the incident. Folks not getting any communications with the company from a few weeks to months for their orders. I got my reservoir 6 months after I paid and got my 2 replacements with in a 3 month span after the 6. So I've been waiting a very long time. This was years ago. I try to warn those so they don't go through the same suffering.

He has no credibility with me and I don't want to sound cold hearted but I would like to at least see some pictures of the shop's damage.

I am hearing the same music I heard 3+ years ago. Anyways not here to bash the guy but say I told you so. lol :p

Here's the forum thread you're talking about. You could just read the last 5-10 pages to see the complaints but the excuses he gets from others because they are sucked in the twilight zone and are amazed at the blink look of the product he gets away with. Especially paying a nice premium price for a reservoir. After a few cracks, leaks etc they say he's got it right this time around. He's in his mid 20s and has alot more to learn. Don't make big promises and custom jobs to the public if you can't handle the demand.

for V2.0 consider a "console" version... and no, not x-box or those kinda toys.. but rather the things you see whenever a "NASA command center" shows up in a movie :D
http://moderncrisis.com/knoxgardner/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/NASA-Apollo-Command-Center.jpg

Doesn't have to be exact, with build-in monitors.. but the flat worktop can be thinner, regular desk thinkness, while the end angles up allowing for enough space to put MB and whatever you want to display at an angle... PSU, Rads, etc can go "underneat" the desk under the angled part. This allows to build everything into the desk, hang the screens of the wall, pull up till your belly hits the deskedge while using regular deskheight without having to compromise leg/knee room :)

One of the things with computer-in-a-desk is that the "thickness" is always dictated by the height of the GPU + WB (+MB +standoffs)... which tends to result in either too cramped space for legs/knees or the overall height being "too high for comfort".
The way around that is put everything into the "legs", or use some angled console-like look.

Oh, and when using wood... use dovetails, angled joints (45°) and lots of sand paper :) :) :)

$ 0.02

:)

i will definitely be borrowing that. i had planned to do somthing similar, but with glass tops scavenged from a staples corner desk. what you have there is damn nice so i might take some queues.
awesome work. any finish on the stained wood? *wood finisher by trade*

Back