• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Get BOINCing!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
and another BOINC concern..

My other concern is how fast is the new GUI BOINC compared to the Linux and MAC OS CLI versons? We all know that the SETI 1 GUI version sucked for speed (I stopped using it long ago) and the x86 CLI is much faster. Are Windows users going to be put at a severe disavantage because the GUI version (BOINC 3.19) is the only "easy" to install version? I have read about "compiling" a "Windows Service" version but I'm not into compiling stuff. I'm not a programer...just a stupid MCSE.

- Horribleron

From what I've been reading, it seems there's no real performance gain over the gui client. But I have not personally tried it yet so I'm not 100% sure.

Horribleron said:
My other concern is how fast is the new GUI BOINC compared to the Linux and MAC OS CLI versons? We all know that the SETI 1 GUI version sucked for speed (I stopped using it long ago) and the x86 CLI is much faster. Are Windows users going to be put at a severe disavantage because the GUI version (BOINC 3.19) is the only "easy" to install version? I have read about "compiling" a "Windows Service" version but I'm not into compiling stuff. I'm not a programer...just a stupid MCSE.

- Horribleron

All reports I have been able to get my hands on indicate that the BOINC GUI Client is not a system resource hog. I can personally say that I have had the taskmanager open and watching processes while doing various things in the GUI window and have not seen it make any demands on the CPU % in the taskmanager. Some even state that having the pretty graphic displayed doesn't make any demands on the CPU as it is written to do everything through the GPU on the video card, this I can't varify since I personally find the graphic annoying and don't have it on. For my own tastes I do like the information the GUI provides about what is going on and can't see a whole lot of difference between my times with the BOINC GUI and the times I was doing in Classic with the 3.03 CLI.

Hope that helps,
SkyHook

SunRedRX7 said:
Most of my machines are 8-9hr work machines, so I'm still good in most cases.

I ran out of work units on my 24hr machines though, so I've added
Predictor@home to them http://predictor.scripps.edu/ to keep them busy.
Ratio of 99% SETI, 1% Predictor.

No machine of mine is getting a break!

Here is the OC.team: LINK

Looks at bit small - dont you think??

yeah, now that I joined the predictor@home overclockers.com team its up to 5 members, and I'm not going to really be a huge contributor since I'll probably only be doing WUs for it when SETI goes down. Also only 2-3 of my machines will be running it, as they are the only 24hr/7day machines.

But still, I figure why waste CPU cycles when SETI has its issues.

Yeah, for the fun of it, till Seti at home boinc is up, i'll do some predictor.

my machine is going to crunch SOMETHING!!!

i'll join, as soon as i get my ID mailed to me.

Sorry that you guys are having problems with Boinc. There's always a welcome place on the other DC team of the forums if you continue to have trouble Boincing away.

I just went back to regular Seti - it works fine and I wanted to hit some more milestones anyway.

I've been back to SETI 1 for the past few days since neither of my boxes can get a scheduler to reply. I thought about singing up for Predictor, but I previously put up a request for inclusion in the Climateprediciton.net BOINC beta, and am still waiting for a reply. If that falls through, I may still split my time 3 ways between SETI, Predictor, and BOINC Beta, but I'm still not sure.

In light of the lack of WUs from BOINC, this seems rather appropriate :D
Crunch on!! :attn:

JigPu

Hmm... I had the same problem (I just decided to try BOINC again), and I wound up having to uninstall BOINC and manually remove the directory, then reinstalling before BOINC would ever work. It still didn't connect on it's first try, but it did manage eventually unlike my last install for some reason.

JigPu

Back