• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting memory cold [noob]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
debatable...maybe the highest mass binned ones, but dex's Patriots are pretty sweet (all hella insane speed) and icebob's perfect storms are unholy

You might find an occasional kit of those that clock well, but on average the GTX2s will clock the highest. There is a 6GB kit of GTX2s for sale on anandtech right now.

I hear you. ;) You can get great deals on the black market... Dex and I have been scouring the webz and I got a Rampage II Extreme for $150 shipped today. $310 BNIB on the egg. :sn:

As for Hypers, there is a set of STT's on OCN right now (3x2gb) for like $170 + shipping.

Avoid the STT, especially the 2133 sticks. Only Super Talents worth getting are the ProjectX 2000C7 sticks. If you scour eBay, you can get good deals on a lot of stuff. There have been quite a few RIIE sell for under $200 there as of late.

Avoid the STT, especially the 2133 sticks. Only Super Talents worth getting are the ProjectX 2000C7 sticks. If you scour eBay, you can get good deals on a lot of stuff. There have been quite a few RIIE sell for under $200 there as of late.

Way to be a complete debbie downer! I'm proud of my first (performance) Asus board! :p

Don't get me wrong, not saying it's a bad board at all. Just saying if you scour eBay, you can save a lot of money vs. buying over forums.

My super talents do 2000-7-7-7 happily enough on air and 1.65v (or 1800-6-6-6, if you prefer).
They're not gtx2s, but they're still hypers.

Oh and what fluid were you running and what pumps were you running?
Hey Dooms, I'm running a single MCP350 and about 70/30 distilled water/auto anti-freeze. It's probably not the best mixture, but it works :chair:

They aren't sold anymore which is why they aren't on the corsair website.
^^^ This :( Course, even when they were sold, it was a bit intimidating at $250 for each 2GB DIMM :eek:

Oh I've heard about this "black market" you speak off... I had even talked to Dex about some Hypers he had for sale, but after thinking about for a couple hours I decided I'd rather buy a Pot for DICE/LN2... Could not afford both.
That was a good choice...:thup:

Expensive memory is HORRIBLE value :screwy: (except for SuperPI 32M, which is what I bought these for ;)), going cold will be worth FAR more points/$$$ :santa:

Expensive memory is HORRIBLE value :screwy: (except for SuperPI 32M, which is what I bought these for ;)), going cold will be worth FAR more points/$$$ :santa:
BIG +1 to that. It may make a difference when you're talking about the super high end, attempting to break world records or attempting to beat a certain person's score at the same CPU frequency. But if you're looking for bang-for-your-buck, ultra high end memory (as in $250/DIMM, heh) isn't the place to look. :salute:

BIG +1 to that. It may make a difference when you're talking about the super high end, attempting to break world records or attempting to beat a certain person's score at the same CPU frequency. But if you're looking for bang-for-your-buck, ultra high end memory (as in $250/DIMM, heh) isn't the place to look. :salute:

My $45 Kingston HyperX Blu's are awesome bang for the buck! Stock: 1600 9-9-9-28-1T in a 2x 2GB kit, but I use them at 1920 9-9-9-26-1T at the same voltage :D Lots of reviews have them going above 2000Mhz at the same timings. Although they don't do anything impressive with lower timings.

30% gets your freezing point down to -10*c, so that's probably a pretty good mixture for your -7*c ambients. It should resist sludging.

Yup...it was sludging up the night prior when temps got down to -11.5C :santa:

Back