• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabtye GA-G31M-S2L & E2160

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oc_noob

This is my first attempt at overclocking. I have built several systems, just haven't OC'd yet. I have read this board is not great for OC, that's fine. I don't want a lot: 2.4 - 2.7 is plenty. I just put it together and tried changing FSB to 300 for 2.7 and it wouldn't post. Do I need to change anything else? I have read that this cpu OC's easily, which is the only reason I'm trying this.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:)

Thanks.
noob

Adjust manually cpu vcore, set memory timings, set memory multiplier, set memory vdimm.

Did you change any other settings? I have two Gigabyte mATX boards (G33-S2H and G33-S2L) and both are kindof faulty when it comes to changing the memory divider, that limits the OC to whatever your RAM can handle at the default divider. To get higher OC (E8400 at 4.3GHz) i had to use SPDTool. Other settings that these boards might protest against is manual RAM timings and PCI Express Frequency, using onboard or PCIe graphics didnt make any difference.

th3,
No, I did not change any other settings. I have DDR2 800 ram.

meionm,
Set those to what? Can you point me to a link that will tell me?

Thanks.

Ok, so your FSB is too high for the RAM i think. a CPU with 200 FSB and RAM at 800, increase the FSB to 300 and the RAM will run at 1200 (thats a 1:2 divider). You need to try the 2.0 RAM divider, but that might cause the system to reset the OC at POST. Too bad SPDTool is a requirement for my mATX boards to reach a decent OC, lets hope you dont have to go to that length. Anyway, try a lower FSB first.

Back