• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Gigabyte ga-z170-hd3p i7 6700] - Unable to boot outside of auto

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crespoh69

Registered
Hey guys, I have a Gigabyte ga-z170-hd3p with an i7 6700k that I'm trying to get past the stock 4Ghz. It doesn't appear that I can get it to boot though unless I leave everything on auto or use the pre-configured CPU "upgrade" options on the MB which I can use to go up to 4.6Ghz but this doesn't seem to be stable, even on the lower Ghz's (4.1, 4.2, etc). So I set the upgrade to 4.6Ghz, then change the vcore to 1.35V and Windows tries to boot and gets to the loading rotating circle, screen turns black and then I get a BSOD and I need to force the restart. The restart is only required if I manually enter my settings, not if I choose the upgrade and leave the settings alone though so I might just be forgetting to change some setting that the upgrade takes care of for me. For anyone who has the same setup, what settings should I be changing?

What I mean by the system not being stable is that I am trying to watch 4K movies that are downscaled down to 1440p and run at 144fps on the lowest settings of Smooth Video Project which will run the CPU at 90%-100%, cooling is being taken care of by 2 noctua fans running at max with a fresh application of thermal paste done just today, it doesn't appear to be overheating.

I'm not certain but it appears as if you're just plugging in a speed and trying to get it to work and guessing at the required voltage.
Have you tried booting the PC with the 1.35V but at 4.4 GHz?
Overclocking takes a bit of time but is quite easy. Once you find a speed/voltage that work stress test it with something like AIDA64. If it passes and your temps are OK then you can try to go faster, up the multiplier, and add voltage if it's unstable. Keep going until you run out of cooling or reach maximum safe voltage.

I'm not certain but it appears as if you're just plugging in a speed and trying to get it to work and guessing at the required voltage.
Have you tried booting the PC with the 1.35V but at 4.4 GHz?
Overclocking takes a bit of time but is quite easy. Once you find a speed/voltage that work stress test it with something like AIDA64. If it passes and your temps are OK then you can try to go faster, up the multiplier, and add voltage if it's unstable. Keep going until you run out of cooling or reach maximum safe voltage.

Thanks, that seems to have worked. I'll continue stress testing tonight.

Back