• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte Motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chaos

I'm looking at getting a mobo with the new KT333 chipset. How well does the gigabyte GA-7VRX perform? I'd like usb 2.0 which it has; just wonder is it a good, stable, not buggy board??

I have the GA-7VRXP and so far, everything works fine. I have my 1600+ @1.54MHz with default voltage. Temps stay within a reasonable limit. I would post temps, but I don't trust the sensor to be accurate, they seem high. I love being able to connect all the USB devices to it with no probs. Before getting this board, I was gonna get a hub, not anymore. 6 is more than enough for me.

well im selling my 7vrxp. i got rev1.0 and it doesnt have the ddr/agp voltage adj in the bios. so hopefully i can get 100 for it.

I had a GA 60xm7E for a PIII setup and as soon as I could afford the Abit ST6 i have now I took that blue board out of my case and tossed it in a box and threw it into the extra parts scrap pile. I hated everything about that board.
People say the new gigabyte boards have improved greatly and many people are having sucess with the Tulation Celeron's on gigabyte boards that's great. Maybe gigabyte is making decent boards now but once your scared you'll never go back. Don't even get me going on ORBs by thermaltake lol that's another story.
My best advice to you would be to do some searching for people with the same board and ask them about how well it's worked for them. That's how I came accrost the Abit board i have now. And all my hard searching paid off.

zoopa_man said:

My best advice to you would be to do some searching for people with the same board and ask them about how well it's worked for them.

Yeah! Like maybe he could post say, ummmm here and ask if anybody had the board!!!! :rolleyes: ;)

I'll let you know, not really played much with mine yet, came this week, nothing scary so far, quite a few nice details to it that impress me very much, like strips of protective plastic near the socket lugs to protect the PCB if your screwdriver slips off a clip, A semi sprung temp sensor that contacts the back of the CPU instead of sitting down on the board. Little things that seem to say someone really thought about stuff on this board. Very nice and detailed installation guide too, so if you are inexperienced in building your own machines, I would recommend it on that alone.

regards,

Road Warrior

Giga- byte my what? Try writing to customer support and wait for an answer. So far, I have written to them several times with no reply what-so-ever.
My experience with them has been nothing but bad. Here's a thought, look through the posts and see just how many people do have problems with their products. I have one in use now, but when money is right, I'll be spending money at a different company on my new board. The general lack of support is one factor, another is the lack of testing to assure that the components they use will work properly (case in point-the raid controller on my GA-7DXR, I know of no-one who has succesfully got it to be the boot drive as they say it will).

I'm fairly new to these forums, but trust I am a member of many others. I would not recommend a Gigabyte to anyone who was not a complete enemy of mine. Personally, I'm thinking of an Epox next time.

I just got the GA-7VRX and I like it a lot. AS a matter of fact I took back the EPOX K83A, not that I had a problem with the EPOX board but because of the USB 2.0 that comes with the GigaByte board.

The GA-7VRX comes with two 1.1 USB ports on the back, then two one 1.1 USB ports which requires a cable and 4 2.0 USB ports which also requires cables. The board came with on 2 USB port cable/bracket. I believe the GA-7VRXP comes with a 4 port and 2 port cable/bracket. I did not need the IDE RAID, since I used LVD Seagate SCSI drives. For 98 dollars (20 cheaper than the EPOX K83A) I thought what a deal, and so far still do.

Check this link from Tomshardware.com
http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q2/020509/kt333-18.html

Here you will find 18 motherboads that are using the KT333 VIA chipset. The GA-7VRX did win out of the 18 tested!

One of the things I do not like about the GA-7VRX(P) is that there is no auto PC shut down thermal protection. I believe the GigaByte will only Beep if there is a CPU heat issue. However with that said, I have not and may not over-clock the AMD XP1800+ I installed. So, I should not have to worry about any heat issues. AS a matter of fact I came hear to find out about over-clocking, since I am stupid about this subject.

Odie3
Austin, Texas

I haven't got around to reading that review yet. I'm kinda relying onwhat the guys at the aussie site say about the overclocking first.

Of course I have been checking around here also. Trying to weed out the "it should" stuff from "facts" This time around. I tend to jump on what is supposedly the best at the time. This time I'm waiting till after it has been out long enough for some reviews. :)

GIGABYTE GA-7VRXP and multiplier adjustment

Can you change the multiplier from the BIOS?

Re: GIGABYTE GA-7VRXP and multiplier adjustment

JY said:
Can you change the multiplier from the BIOS?

cannot, it's using a dip switch in the board :mad:

I actually like having the multiplier hard wired on the board, since I just had a board with soft multiplier selection go freaky on me, and refuse to take the settings I tell it and default to the lowest multi every boot. It's annoying to say the least. So coming from that experience I was relieved to see switches on my gigabyte.

RoadWarrior said:
I actually like having the multiplier hard wired on the board, since I just had a board with soft multiplier selection go freaky on me, and refuse to take the settings I tell it and default to the lowest multi every boot. It's annoying to say the least. So coming from that experience I was relieved to see switches on my gigabyte.

well, some like it, some hate it. of course it's easier if you can't change it from BIOS. there probably a glitch somewhere in your case.

peace.

Back