• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gigabyte ramdisk - ED likes something?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Let's not forget...if you make it, there will be somebody out there to buy it. I mean, come on, people are spending nearly a thousand bucks to get a fancy SLI video card combo, but how many people can tell the difference between 80fps and 100fps? I myself find things nearly indiscernable after 60fps. There will always be people out there with money to throw away...they're not making these things for the mass market yet...they're strictly for enthusiasts, and I'm pretty sure the niche is big enough for this to be profitable.

Ill buy it once it comes to PE with higher RAM speeds. You can count on that. If we are talking high end DDR400 or even better, DDR2 I would be ALL over it.

Infineon / Twinmos announced today their new high capacity DDR2 667 2GB sticks would be arriving very soon. Add 4 of those and you are talking 8GB of RAM. That looks alot better than the current DDR2 application.

If the v2 of this card comes on PE with DDR2 support the bandwith / speed would DEFINATLY justify the cost. Especially with SATAII support and the like.

jAY said:
Sentential, PC133 or PC66 even has more than enough bandwidth to rock and HDD
we are talking 533.00 MB/s of bandwidth of old blow of the dust PC66.

RAM is fast, so as long as the cheapest RAM that comes in big sticks is supported that is all we will need
edit
http://www.forret.com/tools/bandwidth.asp?speed=4264&unit=Mbps&title=PC66
check some other stuff out here if you dont feel like doing the math
I agree that its fast. My point is, its not fast enough to justify the cost. Not yet atleast

I definetly have a use for this (read temporary portage directory for faster compile times). I am with Sentential here though its not worth it at ddr1 since it will be too small (4gb is not nearly enough). Also I need to wait for linux support.

SewerBeing said:
I definetly have a use for this (read temporary portage directory for faster compile times). I am with Sentential here though its not worth it at ddr1 since it will be too small (4gb is not nearly enough). Also I need to wait for linux support.

It works of SATA, so as long as you have a SATA driver it shouldnt be a problem.

Hopefully they'll bump it to DDR400 and SATA2. I hope they don't jump it to DDR2 until DDR2 is reworked to be better then DDR, and even if they do I'm not sure SATA2 would be able to take advantage of the extra bandwidth.

As for backup power, I'd think it'd be an easy mod to add a plug-in PSU and supply power to it. For reliability I'd plug the PSU into my UPS and it should be good almost indefinably I'd think.

@YouEatLard why would you want it for DDR2? DDR2 is more $$$ and both DDR and DDR2 would be limited by the SATA 1/2/3 controller

jAY said:
@YouEatLard why would you want it for DDR2? DDR2 is more $$$ and both DDR and DDR2 would be limited by the SATA 1/2/3 controller

I've reread my post 4 times now and I still don't know where you came up with that response. You may want to reread my post, then you may want to change yours. I said I didn't want DDR2 in it and gave a reason as to why it would be a bad idea. I went as far as I thought I could without starting a DDR2 bebait hijacking this forum.

YouEatLard said:
I've reread my post 4 times now and I still don't know where you came up with that response. You may want to reread my post, then you may want to change yours. I said I didn't want DDR2 in it and gave a reason as to why it would be a bad idea. I went as far as I thought I could without starting a DDR2 bebait hijacking this forum.

my mistake i read your post wrong, sorry about that, my bad

yea i can't wait for these things to come out esp in SATA II... SATA I seems wayy too limiting...

well if u get cheapo pc3200 ddr ram (1 gb) (cas 2.5) it costs $68 shipped so if u get 4 sticks it'll cost $272 and then $50 bucks for the gigabyte ramdisk totalling $322 (which is pretty much 400 cad)...
Overall, I don't think its that expesnive for what it does-- boot windows in seconds, blazing read/write times. People drop 175 dollars for a 74 gig raptors and they usually raid them (that's what my plan was) but I'd rather just get a ssd and then get a huge 400 gig hitachi.

Well, I'm probably going to get one. Different people have different budgets and different cost/benefit views...

Is it alittle expencive? Yes, but thepeople that jump on it know the difference between best performance and best gig per dollar.

I would like them to skip the 4 GB cards and jump straight to 8 Gb. 4 is doable, but pretty restrictive to those who haven't taken the time with Linux yet. Yeah, we can RAID them for 8 Gb, but I'm not sure how much that'll help with these cards as I'd imagine it would put a fair load on the processor. RAID's in the past haven't put too much of a burden on the proc but, we've also never run anything this fast.

4 gigs is totally doable, sure OS and some basic apps is all you'll be able to fit, but hey thats fine with me... I mean I plan to get a 400 gig for music, games, movies, etc...

Great idea, use old PC66 - I was thinking about making a card that would have, say, 12 or 16 slots that you could put dirt-chip 1GB PC66 sticks in. That right there would be cheap ultra-high-speed storage.

On the higher end, I was thinking about making a memory adapter card to plug directly into a RAM slot so there would be no interface loss. This would cause signal integrity problems at high speeds but I'm sure chipset manufacturers could design a chipset with a dedicated channel just for ultra-high-speed storage add-on.

50MB/s -> 533MB/s -> 3.2GB/s+, in maybe two years, perhaps? pretty sweet if the right folks get their act together

PC66 isn't that dirt cheap when you look at it though... The performance sucks compared to decent stuff recently, and the cost at similar capacities isn't too far off. Consider that older stuff also becomes rare, as it isn't manufactured anymore, and costs increase. Supply and demand.

But you can get bins upon bins of RAM by the pound on ebay. Some of it should certainly work. PC66 is old - and is out of the main channels - but that doesn't mean it can't be found in bulk elsewhere.

I don't know if this is just me, but I can't seem to find many sticks of 1GB RAM on ebay. I don't see much used RAM for that matter at all.

Back