• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GIGABYTE Z97P-D3 G3258 OC ISSUES - PLEASE ADVISE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

paulmckenna

Hi All,
I'm new here, but have been working with PC's/hardware/OS's from 1990 onwards.

Have had no problems with AMD OCs in my last 2 home builds, so went for intel at XMAS build (best bang for buck, i.e., daughter started college)

HAVING REALLY PERPLEXING PROBLEMS OVERCLOCKING ABOVE 40X

GIGABYTE Z97P-D3 firmware F8
G3258
HYPER TX3 Evo cooler with extra heat sink fan (applied not as much silver paste as I should, but better than stock)
2 X 4 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600C11 1.50v
Cool master B500 v2 PSU
Cool master X 2 front case fans, and 1 rear fan (+psu), negative pressure in case tested
Thermaltake Versa N21 Midi Case
128 ssd & 1GB Seagate
Finely old GPU Asus AMD EAH6570 1gb (Graphics not important right now)
Windows 10 X64 clean install (Latest Update)

ALL SETTINGS WERE SET GRADUAILY.......
I can OC to 43x, only 38x vcore (can't go higher), 1.35 vcore (HIGH) voltage after REBOOT from Bios, (72c max temp both cores).
It will not boot from cold, sometimes bios screen freezes or windows will give various errors,
but when rebooted after BIOS changes, passes the AIDA64 stress test (not that stressful).
This is all the way down to 41x 38vc and slightly lower vcore voltages. 40x is the only setting that is stable after shutdown & reboot.

I have changed various "AUTO" BIOS settings, XMP, K-CPU, Turbo settings Disabled. VRIN set to normal etc.
I HAVE NOT "messed" with ANY other voltage settings though.
When at 41x or above and bios freezes/won't boot, removing 1 of the memory modules allows me to boot and enter bios again. WEIRD.

I would love to get 4.3x (1000ghz above stock), can't understand why I can't get the vcore above 38x (not the end of the world though).

Sorry for the all the hassle, and to me all of the above does NOT make sense to me from my experience. All I can surmise is that I have a
crap mix of hardware/MB. And/or have got the WORST Intel G3258 in history.....????????????

All comments would be appreciated with details, however obvious....................Thanks

Welcome Paul,

I'm not quite understanding what you mean by not being able to set vcore higher than 38x, this should be a voltage reading like 1.2 volts.

Putting that aside for a minute I would go back into your bios and set everything to auto and reboot back to your bios. At that point set your vcore to 1.2 volts and your cpu multiplier to 38x, you will also need to go into the advanced cpu settings and set uncore multi to 35x, also disable turbo boost while you are there. Save these settings and reboot into Windows. Run your choice of stress test, I would stay away from prime 95, and see if the system is stable. Bee sure to monitor temps during this process. If the system is stable during the stress test and the temps are ok go back to bios and raise the cpu multiplier by 1x and don't change anything else. Then go back and stress test again. Continue with this process until the stress test is unstable or you hit high temps. If your temps are acceptable and you hit a wall on raising the multiplier you can raise vcore by another 0.25 volts and try again.

Start with this and when you find your upper limit we can look at tuning some of the other settings to see if you can go further.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have not read it already give this guide. A read as well.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...uide-to-Overclock-Your-i7-i5-Haswell-Platform

Thanks for the prompt reply....
The vcore 38x is the multiplier for the GB M/B mentioned above. Frequency multiplier for all caches etc except the CPU 2 cores. Have I got a dud in the silicon lottery????
Thanks again.....

Welcome Paul,

I'm not quite understanding what you mean by not being able to set vcore higher than 38x, this should be a voltage reading like 1.2 volts.

Putting that aside for a minute I would go back into your bios and set everything to auto and reboot back to your bios. At that point set your vcore to 1.2 volts and your cpu multiplier to 38x, you will also need to go into the advanced cpu settings and set uncore multi to 35x, also disable turbo boost while you are there. Save these settings and reboot into Windows. Run your choice of stress test, I would stay away from prime 95, and see if the system is stable. Bee sure to monitor temps during this process. If the system is stable during the stress test and the temps are ok go back to bios and raise the cpu multiplier by 1x and don't change anything else. Then go back and stress test again. Continue with this process until the stress test is unstable or you hit high temps. If your temps are acceptable and you hit a wall on raising the multiplier you can raise vcore by another 0.25 volts and try again.

Start with this and when you find your upper limit we can look at tuning some of the other settings to see if you can go further.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have not read it already give this guide. A read as well.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...uide-to-Overclock-Your-i7-i5-Haswell-Platform

Thanks for the prompt reply....
The vcore 38x is the multiplier for the GB M/B mentioned above. Frequency multiplier for all caches etc except the CPU 2 cores. Have I got a dud in the silicon lottery????
Thanks again.....

The "vcore multiplier" you are talking about should be labeled "uncore multiplier" in your bios. In either case set it to 35x for now and concentrate on just the main core multiplier. You will see little gain from pushing that higher. Once you get you core multiplier stable we can work up the uncore but that will be done separate.

The "vcore multiplier" you are talking about should be labeled "uncore multiplier" in your bios. In either case set it to 35x for now and concentrate on just the main core multiplier. You will see little gain from pushing that higher. Once you get you core multiplier stable we can work up the uncore but that will be done separate.

Thanks again for advice, "uncore X" is correct, just fed up looking at the same orange settings for the past week of nights. Will definitely follow your advice and will let you know if interested. Must go to bed now as its 3:17am in Ireland. Just encase, Happy St. Patricks day...... Thanks

Happy to help, once you give that a try post back your results and I'm sure we will be able to get you system stable at 43x with a little tweaking.

GIGABYTE Z97P-D3 G3258 OC ISSUES - RESULTS AFTER O/C ADVISE........

RESULTS AFTER TESTING TODAY:

See Hardware Listings again, just encase.......

AMD RADEON HD 6570 (crap I know), running "crimson" s/w), let me know if an issue......

NOTES: M/B set to defaults/auto settings, Turbo settings "disabled", Built-in GPU (intel) "Disabled", XMP settings "Disabled", Running Win10-64 latest Updates.
Internet connected during testing with AIDA 64 (trial version). Comodo internet premium also running.

(ALL SETTINGS BEFORE AND INCLUDING FIRST ONE ARE 100% STABLE)
STABLE: CPU X = 40 UNICORE X = 35 MAX TEMP CORE1 = 61 c CORE2 = 59 c M/B = 23 c VCORE = 1.200 V

UNSTABLE: CPU X = 41 UNICORE X = 35 MAX TEMP CORE1 = 67 c CORE2 = 64 c M/B = 24 c VCORE = 1.225 V
(Stable first run @ 1.225v, but failed second & third time) RECIEVING "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" windows blue screen when stress test failed

STABLE so far: CPU X = 41 UNICORE X = 35 MAX TEMP CORE1 = 68 c CORE2 = 64 c M/B = 25 c VCORE = 1.250 V

UNSTABLE: CPU X = 42 UNICORE X = 35 MAX TEMP CORE1 = 71 c CORE2 = 68 c M/B = 26 c VCORE = 1.275 V (boots ok)

1.250 V(won't boot - blue garbled windows screen after POST)

(RECIEVING "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" windows blue screen when stress test failed) I know this is an error supplied to win from CPU.

PLEASE HELP... I would be happy @ 4.2, and THANKS

Sorry, just an amendment about cooling.... With the CM HYPER TX 3 evo (2 fans, aligned correctly) but there maybe not enough thermal paste, I put more than was on the default cooler though. Please advise, what is too much or too little?

Thanks again

Can you run your test again at your highest stable setting and grab a screenshot with the cpuz main and memory tabs open. Also run hwinfo sensor screen so we can see the system voltages.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I neglected to ask this earlier but what psu are you running.

Back