• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going Green.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
But then you need to pedal with more force.

True, but here's what my dad is suggesting:

Hook a 2nd chain up the the smallest gear on the bike, then run the chain to a huge sprocket, then hook a belt up to the huge sprocket and run the belt to the alternators......

Seems weird to go and buy a sprocket and do all of this, I though I would get better results by just running a belt over the rim on the bike then running the belt to the alternators?

What are your thoughts on this guys?

Hook it up and try to see how long you can run a 75 watt light bulb before you put your computer at risk....

Hook it up and try to see how long you can run a 75 watt light bulb before you put your computer at risk....

Good idea, I'll run a higher wattage load to simulate high mining use. Then I'lls see how low it will take to recharge via cycling.

Now, let's see.... Salavage my dad's bike, build a stand find a belt or two... yep, I hope to have this thing built and fully functioning and safe in a week or so. :)

UPDATE:

I just recived 2 AGM batteries :thup: In perfect health.

I've read that the standard alternator CAN NOT charge AGM's, as they will kilkl the battery due to overcharging :(
So I'll have to use our actual battery charger with the AGM function to charge them...

Will it hurt the AGM's if I hook them up in series with my other non-AGM batteries?

I'll also try to fish the wire to my room today too :)

It would work just fine. Just don't go over the specified charging amperage.

BTW, a permanent magnet alternator would be more efficient.

Okay! I fished a 12/2 extension cord to my room to test my setup.

My dad said the 6/3 wire I have is way to thick to fish through the walls and is overkill. He said 12/2 was enough... He was wrong :p

Voltage @ batteries was 12.5 Volts under full load.....
Voltage @ Inverter was 10.8 Volts and the low battery alarm was going off non-stop. Then the inverted died (voltage too low)

I think an 8 gauge wire will do, what do you think?
I'm drawing probably 10 - 15 amps and the wire is 40 feet long.

My calculations say 8 gauge will reduce voltage drop to 500 Millivolts?

The higher ac voltage out from the inverter will travel longer distances better than the 12V supply that goes to the inverter. Inverters need pretty heavy cable to supply the amperage drawn at 12V.
So: short thick cable from batteries to inverter and use a longer cord to your 110VAc device. There is still some loss on the a/c 110 cable, but is not as noticable.

The higher ac voltage out from the inverter will travel longer distances better than the 12V supply that goes to the inverter. Inverters need pretty heavy cable to supply the amperage drawn at 12V.
So: short thick cable from batteries to inverter and use a longer cord to your 110VAc device. There is still some loss on the a/c 110 cable, but is not as noticable.

Thanks! Hmmm, I need the inverter in my room so I can hear the low battery alarm in case the batteries get low overnight...

I may have to fish that thick old wire up to my room.. Ugh. Hard to work with when it's as stiff bricks.

PROJECT POSTPHONED :(

Yep, you read right. This project is on hold for a while...

Long story short: Me and my dad mis-wired the batteries and fed 50 Volts DC into my inverter!!!!

Pop pop pop! All 8 capacitors blew up creating a glorious white cloud of smoke.

My dad will get me a new inverter, and then we will hook the batteries up correctly.

Lesson learned: 50 Volts is too much for a inverter! :rofl:

I will start a new thread here when I gather up new parts for this project; bigger battery cables and of course, a new inverter ;)

you could try your proof of concept using a small inverter. I would get a small one to try things out. Make sure that your ideas are going to work before you spend all your $$$.

Thanks! Hmmm, I need the inverter in my room so I can hear the low battery alarm in case the batteries get low overnight...

I may have to fish that thick old wire up to my room.. Ugh. Hard to work with when it's as stiff bricks.
Leave the inverter at the batteries, then route a separate DC line for voltage monitoring. Plain CAT5 works if you only need a few mA.

Leave the inverter at the batteries, then route a separate DC line for voltage monitoring. Plain CAT5 works if you only need a few mA.

Hmmm. Go on, I've never thought of this! Run cheap cat5 (or standard 14/2 because we have 2 rolls of it) then what? Hook an volt meter to it?

you could try your proof of concept using a small inverter. I would get a small one to try things out. Make sure that your ideas are going to work before you spend all your $$$.

I have a 300 watt inverter, I could try that as long as mt rig does not eat up more than 300 watts. (I don't think it does)

ok youve had long enough lets see the pics and lets see this thing working

LOL!

Not yet, I haven't got a replacement inverter :(

My dad said he would replace the one he killed, but he hasn't yet. (probably because I owe him, money still :p )

Don't worry, I'll make a new thread when I get an inverter. This project is not over! :)

Back