• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gold under green XP cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Owenator

Senior Internet Fart
I was unlocking my new xp 1600 and I scrapped off some ox the excess supoerglue with an exacto knife and I noticed a gold colored scratch. Apparently I scratched through the green of my cpu board. Is this gold a layer below the green all one piece? Do I now need to cover the scratch to insulate it before I apply the defogger paint to unlock it? Right now I am planning on masking off the bridges and painting the scratched with either superglue or clear nail polish. Then I'll remove the masking re apply masking to keep the paint where I want it and paint the bridges.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

O

That's a common problem with the organic XP's, I've done that to my own XP1600. Most will agree that all you need to do is coat it with somethig to insulate those conductors. I used clear nail polish myself, as have others to remedy this problem

Good Luck!

Frank,

Thanks! I was hoping it was just a matter of insulating it. I was thinking of rubbing a green crayon on it to make it match and then trying to unlock it again. When I was done I was going to cover both with some clear tape or something because I pelt cool it but it will probably not get below ambient unless I get a bigger pelt/higher voltage power supply. Thanks for the info I will sleep better tonight!

O

That gold layer is GROUND!!! if you take an ohm meter and place one lead on the gold colored AMD logo on the board and the other on the scratch. and set the meter to read the lowest (10x) on mine, you will notice that it reads continuity between them. you do not want your homemade trace to make contact with the scratch. that would be the same as just dumping your trace compound in the laser locks which have a ground. the same ground. when checking your traces use the AMD logo and test each trace. If I am correct none of them should read at all. And make sure that you do not cross bridge the traces.

Falseprophet,

Thanks! I guessed that it was probably ground. I will have to be very carefull when I fill them in.

O

I got one for you... My scratch w/exposed ground is so close to the pin that you cant tell if it is touching or not without using a microscope. I will have to be even more cautious with my work than you could ever imagine. I am sure that I will have to make at least 30 attempts on that one trace to get it right if I can at all!!!! I am using a magnified head band with both lenses in use. and it still looks like it is touching. but it is not. I just need to use a conductive solution that I can work with for at least 7 seconds before it dries. The defogger kit dries to fast for this type of work.:( I have ordered a conductive pen. but I don't know how fine of a trace it leaves and how long it takes before it dries. any input on this would be nice. thanx.....

Falseprophet,

I was planning on using some pressure sensitive boarder tape of my wifes that is 1/64" (.4mm) wide. It is left over from here college days where it was used to do layout and paste up work on the college paper. It is the stuff that you would use if you were manually making lines on paper and then pasting in the pictures. She used to be an offset press operator and actually knows how to set type for making newspapers etc. She has some of the most interesting art supplies! The best part is that this kind of masking stuff is thin already so I don't have to cut it. It is real cheap too. Now I have to decide what I'll seal it with, either a crayon or maybe some nail polish. I am hoping that after the nail polish starts to harden that I can peel off the tape, it's plastic so it is pretty tough stuff, should come off without a tear. My cpu is scratched all up from my hack job of scraping so I'll have to cross my fingers! Best of luck!

O

Back