• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good External/Portable DVD Writer potential Blu-Ray?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Looking for a good external / portable DVD Burner. If it can read Blu-Rays that would be nice, burning to them would be an afterthought, more below.

Currently have an internal DVD writer on my PC but upgrading case and potentially will have to loose this DVD drive at least in this PC for water cooling options in the future. That being said looking at a potential solution to it that I'd be wanting to pick up here in the near future.

I've been looking around and this is the only one that seems to have half way decent reviews that has both functions.
LG USB2.0 Slim Portable Blu-ray External Drive

Or would I be better off sticking to an internal solution for Blu-Rays and just stick with a portable DVD drive? I only say this as I might be keeping a second PC in the house, still undecided. I know I don't use it much currently, disk here disk there but its nice to have as giving stuff to friends / family like pictures and videos. If there is a Blu-ray write function, I might use it for some longer term storage instead of some external drives I have here and there. Data that doesn't change, maybe older photos as a backup of backup?

Anyways just wanted to see what everyones take is on this. Thanks

FWIW I have an ASUS external DVD writer that meets my needs. One anecdotal data point.

I think going with an external drive is a good idea because these see less use these days and with an external you can share it between PCs. And save space for more important stuff. Like bigger internal drives or better cooling. ;)

Oops forgot to follow up on this. I did go with the drive. I've had it for about a month now for a deal from BestBuy with it. Works great playing movies and general access. Haven't tried to burn anything on it yet but I will eventually.

And yes it feels good to get rid of the last 5 1/4" drive in my case.

Back