• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got a concern about my PS CX750M

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

loki993

Registered
I just built my new computer as I was buying components at the local microcetner I grabbed a CX750M. It was 750 watts, modular, 80 plus bronze and corsair, It was on sale and there was a rebate so the price was right.

I though it should have been a decent power supply, but now Im doing some reading and the consensus is that they are low end and not that good at all. Is got me a bit worried frankly. I would really not like for this thing to let go and fry components. Is though something I should take back and get a different one?

Without knowing anything else about your system, it's hard to say whether it's a sufficient PSU or not. But if you plan on overclocking the CPU and / or the GPU(s), including the possibility of folding or the like 24/7, you'd probably be better off w/ a higher-end 750W unit.

Its a core i5 4770k and Im running a single gtx770. SSD, Hard drive and a DVD. Probably not going to OC. I dont think Im stressing it that much to be honest. This is primarily for gaming though so at times the CPU and 770 will be pulling a lot of power.

Last edited:
Dunno about the hate, TPU gave the CX600M a great review. Keep in mind the CX series is budget oriented, but they perform well with that in mind.

Dunno about the hate, TPU gave the CX600M a great review. Keep in mind the CX series is budget oriented, but they perform well with that in mind.

Yeah I suppose I didnt know it was a budget PSU, I wouldn't have went that way if I would have known.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm

CWT the maker it looks, not familiar with em myself.

Haven't used any Corsair PSU, but thought most were good.

It should be more than enough for what you're using, should be overkill.

It is overkill, but still I used all quality components in this build and wasn't trying to skimp here though it looks like I did anyway.

The consensus does seem to be that it should hold up fine though.

It is a lower tier Corsair PSU, but it is still fine and PLENTY of power for that system. 550W is enough for any single card system with overclocking (unless perhaps you have an FX AMD CPU clocked to the moon).

Newegg has a good deal on a SeaSonic G-750 right now if I really wanted to assuage any concerns.

Last edited:
Good choice, but overkill. The 770 is a 230W card at absolute worst... Your CPU overclocked to the moon won't hit 150W. The remainder of your system 50W. You wont hit those numbers. A quality 550W unit is plenty. The G 550 is $86, saving you another $30.

Here is my review with a 4770K @ 4Ghz and stock 770.. I hit 287W AT THE WALL (so around 260W actual load).

Now, if you plan on going SLI/CFx in the future, I would get the 750W model. Choice is yours, but you can save some jack getting a properly sized PSU for your needs.

Last edited:
I can see the possibility to SLI in the future but if I do it wouldn't be for quite some time, basically at the point where the single 770 no longer gives satisfactory performance and by that time it would probably be wiser just getting a different card all together.Plus theyre doing a 20 off promo code on the 750 which brings it down to 99 buck before $20 mail in rebate.

Last edited:
Back