• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Graphics card recommendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bogdan

Hi everybody! - first post here :)

my current pc specs:
Mainboard: MSi DKA790GX
CPU: AMD Phenom II 920 x4 - 2.8GHz per core
RAM: 2x2gb DDR2 800MHz - dual channel
2x Sata2 hdd@7200rpm
SBAudigy 7.1 value/LE - don't know exactly
PSU: Cooltek Value series 450w
1 LG dvd writer
24" Benq monitor @ 1920x1080/60Hz
-----------------------------------

I'm sick of the HD3300 igp because it basically sucks when it comes to games (aero/1080p movies/browsing etc are fine).
Due to money flow problems i've recently gained about enough for a video card, and although i'm trying to catch up with the new stuff on the market, i still think advice is welcomed :D

The target is a graphics card that will do fine - games wise - in say two years from now.
I've been looking at gts450 / gtx550ti from various companies (asus, gainward, msi and so on) but i don't know what to put my finger on and say this is the card for me :)

As far as radeon goes - i don't really like them, and i've read about them having a lot of issues with banding,drivers,catalyst and so on...
The range of graphics cards prices is about as far as the gtx550ti goes around, because with another bump in the prices i don't think i'll be able to buy the new card..

From what i've thought the must's are gddr5, at least 1gb memory, at least 128 bits and the gts450 gpu as the lowest accepted one - it's my understanding that anything beneath it is a waste of money.

I'm aware that the AM2+/ddr2 platform tends to become a obsolete one, but after the graphics card purchase i'll look into am3/am3+ mobo+cpu+ddr3 ram but for now... graphics comes first.
The PSU is an issue i think because graphics tend to require a lot of power and i would like to keep the psu, since i bought it about 3 months ago...

Welcome to the forums!

How much are you looking to spend? As I would suggest the newer gtx650 with 384 cores and is around 120 to 140 for a 2gb card. Are you in the states?

Hi Evilsizer! Sorry i forgot to add my location to my profile.
The fact that it's very probable that who answers my question is from another country i haven't posted an ammount to be spent - due to prices variating from country to country.

Is the Palit NE5X65001341F good enough - as i don't know witch is the new one or the old one :)
As far as pricing goes the ~160$ price tag of it, is about as high as i'll probably go.
The 1gb one is about 30$ cheaper but i guess that future games would benefit from the extra vram... right?
About Palit - are they any good? it sounds like a crappy brand, then again i don't have much experience with graphics cards :)

Any other "nominees" besides the gtx650 are welcomed aswell :)
{ sorry if my English is a bit out of rythm but... it's not the native one for me :) }

P.S. i forgot to ask, is a pci x16 3.0 card compatible with a pci x16 2.0 Motherboard?

GTX650 or an AMD 7770 would be in you budget range.

Yes, PCIe3.0 cards are backwards compatible (will work in a 2.0 board).

According to bechmarks gtx550ti is better than both of them, why should i go for the gtx650 or amd 7770? Are they newer gpu's or... what's missing from my perspective? :)

Newer tech, better driver support, better power consumption (especially compared to the 550 ti), and support for new softwares.

just odd the older 550ti with 192cores does better then the new 650 with 384cores. i know the 550ti has 24rops vs 16 on the 650 but i didnt think it would have effected gaming performance that much. yes the power usage for the 650 is lower then that of the 550ti, 65watts is what is reported even though it has a 6pin power connector on it.

Back