• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX10xx, Polaris and Vega discussion.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If your sticking to 1080p, there is no reason to upgrade. These new GPUs are for those that want to move up past 1080p or get into VR.

Nvidia 900s and AMD R9 200s and R9 300s will easily do all games at 1080p. If you really want to make sure games will last at 1080p, grab a 480x as its the lowest cost for performance right now.

If your sticking to 1080p, there is no reason to upgrade. These new GPUs are for those that want to move up past 1080p or get into VR.

Nvidia 900s and AMD R9 200s and R9 300s will easily do all games at 1080p. If you really want to make sure games will last at 1080p, grab a 480x as its the lowest cost for performance right now.

I see, I was looking at some FURY cards too and R9 390 since I have yet to see an after market 480 is driving me nuts. XD I can pick up a XFX R9 390 for $270 new. But I would need to buy a block also because I run a loop on my system. I sold my 980ti to wait for Vega and have something to hold me over for a bit.

What is a better value the 1080 or 1070 performance to price ratio?

Last edited:
I see, I was looking at some FURY cards too and R9 390 since I have yet to see an after market 480 is driving me nuts. XD I can pick up a XFX R9 390 for $270 new. But I would need to buy a block also because I run a loop on my system. I sold my 980ti to wait for Vega and have something to hold me over for a bit.

What is a better value the 1080 or 1070 performance to price ratio?

Look for used 290 and 290x's, As i said earlier ive found a few selling for 200$ and thats in a pricy country, In murica itll be much cheaper.

Unless power consuption is a big deal for you.

Gave up on the RX 480 and was never interested in the 1060, so ........................ I finally ordered a 1070 from Newegg. Went with the Gigabyte GV-N1070G1 GAMING-8GD with 1620 MHz OC Mode Core Clock, 1822 MHz in OC Mode Boost Clock, and tri-fans for $434 including shipping. It's only 11.25" long so there won'tbe any problems fitting it in virtually any case. I had a 12" Fury a while back that was too long for the case I'm currently using so length is an issue for me. The 1070 seems the ideal fit for my 1440p monitor.

Since I sold my MSI 980Ti for $585 on eBay just before the 1080 launch I am ahead about $75 after fees and shipping cost. Some of that will be squandered when i sell my interim R9 380X card I picked up for $180 as an open box from Microcenter. I hope to clear $140 or so after fees and shipping on eBay so I'll still be up a little after the final accounting is done!

Thanks for the feedback. From the specs it should be better than my old MSI 980Ti which was plenty good enough.

I have a gaming laptop so is allowing me to hold off before i buy any GPU. My 980Ti was dropping value like crazy so I sold it fast got still a good chunk out of it. Just waiting for the RX 480 AIB to be out before i do a purchase or which way to go.

Thanks! I try to be reasonable and wait for the 1080 ti, but there are cheap 980 ti classy on some UK online shops, and with the weak pound, and pay day Friday, and the bug in my head...

Back