• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GUIDE: Newbie Networking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Agent Z said:
well i have a usb Dsl modem hooked up to my pc(xp pro) and then i have a 5 port switch connected to a computer runnning Win98se...i cannot see that computer on the network but i can use internet connection sharing...how can i get my computers to see each other so i can share files
Have you enabled file & printer sharing on both computers (specifically the one that you "can't see" on the network?

Also make sure they are in the same workgroup.

it was a firewall problem....and it is now all fixed!!
Thanks a lot guys i love this forum...i have only been a member about a week and i have over 50 post....proves i love this forum and i also got to help someone....YEAH!!
like my Avitar?

Mike K said:
What about sharing dsl via a switch? I can't figure out how to do it.

Many dsl modems these days also function as small routers and they usually have DHCP enabled. If not, you can telnet into the modem and tell it to turn on DHCP and set the number IP's to hand out you should be ok. :)

I'm trying to share mydial-upconnection over my network with one other computer, theyare connected via "switch" linksys befsr41 rotuer/switch, i turned of DHCP on the switch gave my computer the IP address of 192.168.0.1 on the NIC and gave the other computer that i want to sue the shared connection theIP of 192.168.0.2, I have ICS enabled, both computers can see and talk to each other, what else can it be ? I've also got the dial-up connection on my computer "for everyones use" not only for me.

Last edited:
DDR-PIII said:
I'm trying to share mydial-upconnection over my network with one other computer, theyare connected via "switch" linksys befsr41 rotuer/switch, i turned of DHCP on the switch gave my computer the IP address of 192.168.0.1 on the NIC and gave the other computer that i want to sue the shared connection theIP of 192.168.0.2, I have ICS enabled, both computers can see and talk to each other, what else can it be ? I've also got the dial-up connection on my computer "for everyones use" not only for me.

Make the client PC gets its IP from DHCP. The machine with ICS install should act as a semi DHCP server.

See if that helps

Another advanatage of a switch network is something called "Full Duplex". It means that you can talk to one computer, and you can recieve from another computer (or that same computer), at the same time. (This is a big difference, compared to a switch, where only one computer can transmit at a time)

I know... I'm nitpicky. No... NICpicky, err...switchpicky.... I suppose hubpicky. Whatever :p

LxOxSxI

Back