• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GURU help needed to get lroject started

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

I've been a member here for a long time and when recently faced with a problem I couldn't think of a better place to start. We're lucky to have the knowledge here we do so I'm hoping for some help/ideas.

This project isnt for a computer but could be. The goal is to take air in, cool it to less than 40° f and have it puno out into a bag where it will bleed out at a controlled rate. The point is to be able to cool the bag and maintain it at 40℉ or less.

Currently the design is the size of a suitcase with a 5amp 110v power supply and two peltiers, I'm unsure of their power I just know it isn't enough.

The system, as-is, operates by pulling air inside and sucking it down over radiators fastened to the top of the peltiers. The air is then pumped out the bottom into the inflatable bag trying to cool it.

The original design is very inadequate and barely cools the air. The concept is sound but doesn't produce any results right now. The peltiers simply don't cool the heatsink enough for theair flowing over them to cool to the desired temperature. I think it's under powered and having never used peltiers I think they are just too small.

The purpose is to be able to wrap the silicon bag around an appendage, cooling it to 40℉, to use in physical therapy. I was asked to help with the project. It isn't mine it's a friends and he's been working on it for his physical therapy class. He had someone help him put his concept together but when I played with it it was very clear that while a great idea it needs to be revamped.

I thought here would be a good place since people have designed and made air cooled systems before as well as a lot of experience with peltiers.

1) any idea what level of power would be required or a good place to buy a variable power source to test configurations?

2) how big of peltiers do you think I could get and power with a reasonable system and is it worth stacking two of them to increase the effectiveness of the cooling side?

3) is there a good small air pump that can produce airflow, similar to blowing with your mouth really hard, without generating a lot of heat? I'm wanting to mount it internally to pull the air through over the peltiers then push it out the tube into the silicon bag.

4) what would you consider the best means to cool the air over the peltier? Would internal copper tubing snacking back and forth over the peliers be the best means? Right now it's more of a sealed box where the air flows over heat sinks but I feel it isn't efficient because the peltiers have to cool the heatsink first before the heat sinks could cool the air. Or are there copper heat sinks made for air(kind of like liquid cooled systems)?

I'm willing to read everything you guys have to say. I thought it was a fun project to help with basically applying what I've learned with PC cooling systems to this. Appreciate any help and ideas!

if the air would be in a "closed loop" or recirculation system the pelts might be able to cool the air down with each pass
A design comes to mind where the pelts sit in a sealed box, then a hose going to the "bag" and from the other end of the "bag" a hose going back into the box.
The thing is to create enough pressure to keep the bag inflated while the surplus streams back into the cooling box which kinda dictates a bigger "in" and smaller/thinner hose exiting the bag.

Something like that exists, but in the "box" sits a plate exchanger, one end air being pumped through, while the other end has at least icewater or some liquid nitrogen or oxigen circulating. I think a plate exchanger is the only way to make it working, as it is the most efficient exchanger type, rads or pelts just not gonna cut it IMHO

Back