• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard Drives not detected, getting very hot fast; voltage problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

natewildes

When modding my fan wires, part of a live wire touched my metal case. Afterwards, my hard drives could not be detected, but the rest of my system was/is completely fine. The hard drives boot up, but the bottom, near the molex connector, gets VERY hot almost instantly. Is it possible the live wire shorted out my hard drives? Both are identical in size and maker, but the models are slightly different. Oh, and after checking my S/N on the WD website, I found out my warranty expired 2 weeks ago :mad: .
Thanks for the help!

natewildes said:
When modding my fan wires, part of a live wire touched my metal case. Afterwards, my hard drives could not be detected, but the rest of my system was/is completely fine. The hard drives boot up, but the bottom, near the molex connector, gets VERY hot almost instantly. Is it possible the live wire shorted out my hard drives? Both are identical in size and maker, but the models are slightly different. Oh, and after checking my S/N on the WD website, I found out my warranty expired 2 weeks ago :mad: .
Thanks for the help!

If it gets hot within seconds, then yes, you have at least a partial short, or a poor connection happening (perhaps wrong voltage). No telling what ****ed up when ya shorted a wire (you were modding wires with the computer on?!!!)

Back