• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard freezing with F@H...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rezon8

I have been having this problem ever since i started folding a week ago. i happens about once every 12 hours, i will either come home, be away from my computer for awhile, and within 10 seconds of me sitting down in front of it, it HARDFREEZES! mouse stops, keyboard lights dont respond, everything just stops. i have turned off my virus scanner, ANti-vir, and MBM.

i have upped my cpu voltage to 1.675 from 1.600, my memory is PC2700 runing at DDR300, 16,16,2,2,2,2,3, ECC set to CORRECT, PCI Latency to 64, not the default of 32.

also EMIII is running fulltime.

for the life of me i cant figure what is causing this to happen, it is screwing up my PPW. with all of the voltage increases, i have cranked my temps to 50,49,35, that is about 10c above what they were 2 weeks ago when i did the prime95 stability test, so i think i have enough power to the cpu;s i have not overlcocked them any more, they are stil at 2025mhz each

one other intresting thing, my 12+v rail on my PSU is down to 11.85v, which seems pretty low. and also it is very curious how it will lock up right after i sit down and start using it, but it was working all the time i was away.

also i recently installed Netlimiter and Trillian chat program, and with those newly installed, it would hardfreeze in 5 minutes, no matter what i did, so i uninstalled them, and it is now back to locking up every 12 hours or so.

Could i have somehow not properly installed the SSE fixed Gromacs core properly? maybe i should redownload and manualy copy the fixed version just to be sure, but if it still has problems, i dont know what to do except reinstall windows/format c:

any suggestion?

From what I've been told the PCI Latency should be at 32.The other thing I noticed is you can shut off the ECC in your bios.Do you have Spread Spectrum Modulated shut off too?

And while low is not good thing to see on the 12v rail,I would worry more about if it drops down everyonce in awhile.

I do have reg ECC ram, by buffalo, but i will try it... also, i remember awhile back i did a reinstal of XP and did not install the AMD/MSI chipset drivers, so i am D/L them now... ALSO, on an related note, I just bought Call of Duty and i am getting an error, "please insert the correct cd-rom, ...." error message, i googled it and people were having problems running COD due to IDE/atapi driver errors on nforce2 boards and safedisc, that prompted me to make sure i had installed MY ide drivers properly even though my mobo is not nforce2, and infact i had not installed them since the previous reinstall... maybe i am having problems due to improper mobo drivers...

Would ECC correction actually CAUSE problems, even if i have ECC ram?

I havent seen ECC cause lockups. However, if the ram is kinda flakey, that would be a way to point you in the right direction. Also, do you have adacuate cooling of hte north bridge? You may wanna pop of the hsf and smeer a little compound as ive found that manufactures go on the cheap and quick in this area. And of course, you can run Prime and other stability proggies to help you narrow down where your issues are.. Good luck to ya

If the Chipset drivers were not loaded,I'd say that, the trouble was most likely that.I'm not sure if MSI has newer ver's of the chipset drivers or not but it wouldnt hurt to get them right off their site.

Good luck and let us know if you got it licked or not.

its really weird, since i have started this thread, i have had not one problem, and i have checked the drivers and compared the ones i installed, to the ones i d/l off of the msi.tw website, and they are the same i guess, because after i dlownload them, they wont install because it says they are already installed, HUH?

i dunno, version numbers check out though... anyways, i think what i will do, is unload all TSR's, or whatever the modern equivelent of a TSR is, virus scanner, browser, etc. all except EMIII and the two services of F@h, and let it run for a day or two, if there is no lockups, then i will conclude that it is NOT F@H and something else. I started this thread thinking that the hardfreezes were attributed to the older bugged SSE version... but version 1.56 is the new corrected version,

time will tell, thanx guys...

Back