• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hardware conflicts goolore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gripp

i just built a system about a month ago, here are the specs:

Asus Maximus Formula (no WC - just LOTS of air) (man, this thing pushes some heat...)
Q6600 G0
EVGA 8800GTX (stock clock)
4x1GB ballistix 800
corsiar 520HX
2 raid 0 and 1 back up 250GB 3.0 sata perp recording
1 dvd burner
1 floppy disk
5.1 surround with the HD card that comes with the board
USB webcam
Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse
wireless headphones
XP PRO SP2
now, i have one general question first - i've never used TV tuner cards before... so how does it work if i want to put say an ATI tv tuner card (all in wonder? or something more basic?) in with the system... can both the cards be in the system at the same time? does it work with the 8800GTX making the GTX the processing card??

back to the problems
windows doesn't see all of memory - i understand this is a normal problem, but i dont know what issues can arise from it. my bios does see it all BTW

my mouse and keyboard:
during stressful games the mouse will frequently become laggy or unresponsive and will sometimes diconnect from the computer (i have to flip the mouse over and hit the connect button)
it has once completely uninstalled the hardware of the mouse and keyboard and yesterday gave me a BSOD when trying to recconect for like the 4th time in about 30 minutes. the type of BSOD that instanty reboots the comp...
i moved the USB port that the bluetooth adapter was connected to and it *seems* to have fixed the mouse issues, even made the computer seem to run a bit faster altogether, but i haven't really stressed it too much yet. besides, for the first few weeks of owning the comp i didn't seem to have that problem so i'm reluctant to say it fixed. *edit* --- after playing world in conflict for a few hours the mouse crap started again.... so, no, it isn't resolved *edit*

my sound system seems to occosionally go flat. that is, it will sound like everything is the same volume for a few seconds. not sure if this the speakers, the card or something else... but i'll assume it may have something to do with my problems i should note that becuase the new flash players for things like you-tube have sound on only the "front" speaker, so i had to call my "center" speaker the front speaker which seems to maybe have something to do with it (even more annoying, i have to physically get up and push a "matrix" bottun on my speakers to switch from listening to internet sound and WMP sound... anyone know how to fix this?)

so here is a print out of my conflicts as listed in system info:
System Information report written at: 01/01/08 11:01:23
System Name: GRIPP
[Conflicts/Sharing]

Resource Device
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF Intel(R) X38 Express Chipset PCI Express Root Port - 29E1
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

Memory Address 0xFFA00000-0xFFAFFFFF Motherboard resources
Memory Address 0xFFA00000-0xFFAFFFFF Intel(R) 82802 Firmware Hub Device

IRQ 22 Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio
IRQ 22 Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R SATA RAID Controller

IRQ 23 Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2934
IRQ 23 Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A

IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
IRQ 9 SCSI/RAID Host Controller

IRQ 16 Intel(R) X38 Express Chipset PCI Express Root Port - 29E1
IRQ 16 NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
IRQ 16 Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2937
IRQ 16 Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
IRQ 16 Intel(R) ICH9 Family PCI Express Root Port 6 - 294A

IRQ 17 Intel(R) ICH9 Family PCI Express Root Port 1 - 2940
IRQ 17 Intel(R) ICH9 Family PCI Express Root Port 5 - 2948
IRQ 17 Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller #2

Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xFFFFFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xFFFFFFFF Intel(R) X38 Express Chipset PCI Express Root Port - 29E1
Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xFFFFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

IRQ 18 Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2939
IRQ 18 Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293C
IRQ 18 Intel(R) ICH9 Family PCI Express Root Port 3 - 2944
IRQ 18 Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
IRQ 18 Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2936

IRQ 19 Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2935
IRQ 19 VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF Intel(R) X38 Express Chipset PCI Express Root Port - 29E1
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB Intel(R) X38 Express Chipset PCI Express Root Port - 29E1
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

Memory Address 0xFA000000-0xFE7FFFFF Intel(R) X38 Express Chipset PCI Express Root Port - 29E1
Memory Address 0xFA000000-0xFE7FFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

Memory Address 0xFFE00000-0xFFEFFFFF Motherboard resources
Memory Address 0xFFE00000-0xFFEFFFFF Intel(R) 82802 Firmware Hub Device

i ahve no idea of what of these are really an issue. my old compter that i've been using for about 5 years now, and have replaced almost everything in the case over the course of owning it, has never had many conflicts and nothing that seemed bothersome

something else, off topic that i should maybe post elsewhere.... when trying to OC my CPU mostly ALL of my other voltages went up, since left in auto... what is the order that i should increase them in? or i should i just force them to stay at there original values? i would think they need to increase becuase i pushed my FSB from 800 to 1200 when this had happened...

Last edited:
Oh my god, I have no idea what's wrong but the best piece of advice I can give is take out all the conflicting hardware you can and install one piece at a time and fix the problems one at a time.

It would have been great if you had the resources printed up from your old computer! Might not help, but...

There are two ways to proceed with this:

1) do a new install for your OS (with every peipheral device installed on the system, but no drivers, yet.), and see if it can sort out the mess, with it's plug and play program.

2) remove all your peripherals, leaving just the mobo, video card, keyboard, mouse and one hard drive, and try to find an install order that will give you the fewest conflicts. Sharing is not a conflict, but may become one if both devices request interrupts too close to each other (or at the same time).

General order might be:

*keyboard, mouse, & video card - first always. Video is very active. That can give you a fatal stop, no doubt. If the video card is handling the interrupts at the same memory as the mobo, check with your video card and see what they recommend - can something be changed (shut off), in the mobo's BIOS to stop the conflict/sharing? What does the video card maker recommend for handling conflicts? Can something be set up differently on the video card to help out?

You should have just one HD in the computer, atm. None of the above should share resources with the mobo, now.

* You should definitely NOT have your system Overclocked or over/under volted in any way, at this time.

*SATA/RAID - HD set up. If you don't have a raid or SATA, don't set it up. You don't want to waste a resource. If you want it, add it now.

*sound - another resource that gets heavy bandwidth going.

*USB stuff. If you have other USB stuff that you're not using, shut it off in the BIOS.

You're basically trying to work from most important/most bandwidth, down to the least important/least bandwidth. You'd like to think that such a logical approach would always work - sadly it's sometimes very much trial and error. Some devices just won't work with some others, although it's rare in the plug and play world - but it still can happen.

You want to be sure that when you look at your system's devices in Control Panel, that you don't have any yellow question marks next to anything.

If you do get it stable and all working, be sure to record the resources each device is using, for future reference.

Good luck!

one thing that might help... you can tell windows not to automatically restart after a BSOD. then you can tell what the error is. i don't remember where to do it off hand. it might be in msconfig.

thanks for the response guys
i was afraid that the only way to fix this was to reinstall windows... :(
this is about the 6th time i'll be doing this since i built the machine (various issues with RAID, SP1/2, sound card... then lastly installing a "genuine" copy that showed about 2 weeks late and was CRC protected so no way to just change the current installs key :( )

that computer is a fresh build, my "old" computer is the one i'm typing from now. completely unrelated. though i have looked at the conflicts here and there were only, i think, 3 and nothing as damning as my video card conflicting with my north bridge...
but, yeah
no OC here... did try out a 9x333 to see if it would boot and check the volts that the mobo chose, but my NB was getting too hot to quickly so i stopped messing with it
on that note, i suggest not getting a maximus formula SE if you plan on OCing unless you;re going to use water... (its great if no OC though)

i am going to stress my game into a blue screen again make sure that it isn't something other than these conflicts (suppose i shouldn't just assume...)
from there i guess i'll be installing windows a few times this weekend...

to update this thread
i did some more testing to try to narrow things down before having to start pulliong hardware out and i started thinking that hte hardware conflicts had less to do with my problems than i originally thought...
long story short i uninstalled the drivers and software for the mouse and didn't install anything else and now things seem to run perfectly....
have been pushing my system around the past few days to make sure of the result and seems like everything is working fine now

Back