• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have 50% Water wetter 50% distilled water, go more?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobross

Registered
I have a swiftech setup with 1/2" tubing. I'm using a 50/50 mix of water wetter and distilled water. Should I go with more water wetter? Like 70-80% to 20% water? What's is a good mix? I feel like I'm just following swiftechs "safe" recommendations. Thank for any help!

BTW I have a Barton 2500 @ 2550GHZ

I'm not sure about water, but i know with anti-freeze, 20% is almost too much. And I'm almost 100% sure that 50/50 water wetter is WAY too much. The whole point of water is because it conducts heat very well. Water wetter is mainly to stain your tubing and prevent bacteria growth. So if you are getting high temps, this is why.

Lower it to 10%, and use a different additive.

After a few months the water wetter will form white goop all around the interior of your pump, waterblock, and radiator. I like Dexcool Antifreeze myself - because of the orange color :)

Nice overclock BTW!

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

If you have bare or even anodized aluminum in your loop and you also have copper i would recommend ATLEAST 20-25% Im right now using 50% and Ive done both 20% and 50% and there is no difference in performance.

If its 100% copper or brass then 10-20% would be fine.

Zerex or Dex-Cool

What kind of additives would you use if your running aluminum and wanted to use a Blue or green UV dye? Would the UV color be domininent over the antifreeze color?

*yikes*

ILikemy240SX - I have a Swiftech Waterblock with an Anodized Aluminum top in my circuit - should I up my percentage to 20%? Right now I am at 10% - and have a copper Black Ice Extreme radiator - planning to add another radiator, and two more Swiftech Waterblocks with anodized tops too.

Thanks a lot man, now I'm all worried about corrosion! :mad: ;)

Thanks for all the info guys. This is a great resource. I read somewhere that Swiftech recommended 50% hmmm..... I think I'm going to switch to 17% now :) Although Felinusz is right, I did notice some white crap before I changed out the first time. Maybe I'll ditch WW all together and check out Dexcool...

BTW Felinusz thanks for the welcome! Sounds like yuor putting together a gnarly system! :)

I have been running a Ratio of 5% water wetter mixed with Distilled water for the past 9 months with my Innovatek block and maxpert 120M rad with no algea and no white goop in my pump or res. temps are great, so water wetter is working excellent for me.

felinusz said:
*yikes*

ILikemy240SX - I have a Swiftech Waterblock with an Anodized Aluminum top in my circuit - should I up my percentage to 20%? Right now I am at 10% - and have a copper Black Ice Extreme radiator - planning to add another radiator, and two more Swiftech Waterblocks with anodized tops too.

I suggest you check your block.
If switch has done a good job anodizing there shouldn't be a problem. the 25% is just to make sure that there's no problem what so ever.

Suma.

Red Line (manufacturers of WW) recommends one ounce of WW per quart of water. So basically all you really need is one capful or two and you are set. That is the way I did it but now I am just using antifreeze because for one thing it looks cool and tastes good (yeah I know it is poison).:D And so far it has not stained my tubes. I don't think you really need to worry about corrosion all that much because swiftech is a great company and even better now that they have BillA.:D And props to that overclock that is great:thup: :thup: :thup: , what kind of voltage are you using to get that?

felinusz said:
*yikes*

Anodized aluminum just delays the inevitable. The corrosion that occurs by mixing different metals in the loop can onnly be prevented through corrosion inhibitors. However, since Swiftech is known for quiality, the delay period would be longer. As long as you are using some type of corrosion inhibitor, you should be ok however I would switch the coolant to atleast 20% ratio... But you shouldnt worry about your swiftech block corroding now since you are using atleast 10%

I think that someone needs to go back and reread their sources on coolant ratios. I cannot believe that Swiftech recommends a 50-50 mix of Water Wetter and water... that's more along the lines of an anti-freeze water mix. As Glaze132 has pointed out, you need only one ounce of Water Wetter per quart of water.

Back