• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having Probs O/C my 3.2E again.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

Hi, Ive had this current cpu for a while now, and when I first got it, it could run no probs at 3.84ghz (however) it was heating up real quick so i decided to lower the fsb to 230 (or 3.67ghz)... ive been running it at that speed since then with 1.4125v and everything is stable.

I went over to my cousins yesterday (he got a 3.2e sl7e5) and we tried oc with his stock intel cooler... we got it to boot at 4.14ghz with 1.4v (but it wasnt stable and the temps were getting high.)

I got excited and went home to see about pushing my cpu. Guess what: I cant even get 3.75ghz, let alone 3.84ghz stable. At 3.84ghz windows wont even load up. My temps are sky rocketing (a lot warmer then my cousins and I have an xp120 with a good fan... and the window open (window to the great cold outdoors)... im still hitting 60C.

This is frustrating. Ive tried different bios versions (was using 1016 since i bought the board.... then I tried 1020 beta 3, then 1019 and now 1018).... none of them change my situation.

Any ideas? Why is this chip crappy now? Why is it sooo hot?

ya its properly applied... im using as5 and i put a uncooked rice sized portion of it on the center of the heatspreader

Sounds like me however my 3.2e is at 4.0 and I cant get temps below 41, even with cpu on default speed and vcore and side panal off, oc at 4.0 i idle at 50 load at mid/high 60s and no matter how many times i reapply thermalpase or try differant fans my temps will not go down, I even got a new case which lowered my case and hd temps by about 8c but didnt effet my cpu 1 bit, I even gutted out one of my 120mm fans and placed it between the heatsink like someone recommended by nothing, im quite frustrated with my xp-120

Maybe dust is accumulating on your heatsink. Take the fan off and Blow/vacuum it off. Its something I occasionally have to do when I notice the idle temps rising.

Sounds like my 3.0E, it seems temps varies a lot between procs, even with the same stepping.
My 3.0E D0 (late november) was 66C under load at 1.35vcore/233fsb, my 3.2E D0 (one month older, late october) is 56C at the same vcore and fsb. Both of them had the waterblock mounted properly, rad fan running same slow speed, same bios etc.

The problems lies on these factors, 1st of all your on air , and dont expect to get more then a 700mhz overclock on air. Second your mobo +ram and third your processor stepping code. I have a sl7e5 and its the best 3.2 out there due to it running at 84 watt. you might have the 103 watt version.

Hi Vio,

When I had that chip and another SL7B8 that they are VERY sensitive to temps. I was using a Hyper6 with 2 fans to cool it and my temps never went above 52C with that chip and that was at I think 3.9. I thought I could get better temps so I ordered a XP120 and it ran about 3-5C hotter than my Hyper6. I tried to reseat it, added a spacer between the fan and the Xp and that helped a little but I still liked my Hyper6 better. But now I am on water and its a lot different now.

I really think the heat is killing you right now but what PSU do you have?

all my specs are in the sig below

my psu is an Ultra 500w PSU... the rails are all above and stable.

Well I have an ic7-g max II advance with some corsair pc3200, mosfets sank and the 3.2e d0 sl7eg stepping, no matter what I do even If i get a big *** cooling fan from my house and blow it in my case the temp will only lower by 1-2c and when I touch the heatsink I can feel no heat at all absoulutly none, but I unno ill prolly order a thermal probe thingy and see what temps that gives me

Back