• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD7970 Release Date & Pricing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
IF the new cards are released on Thursday, I'll pick up one of them if XFX is one of the company's that have cards for sale on launch date.

I'll be happy to replace the two 6970s in my Gaming machine with a single 7970 to save money on utilities and lower noise levels a bit, and then move one of the 6970s over to the HTPC and sell the other 6970 and 6980 to my friends.

Pre-Release is tomorrow is that correct or is it changed once again?

A card superior to the GTX 580 (Real world performance), better DX11 performance, for a similar price. Since ATI Cards (usually) scale better on crossfire setups it will be a seriously powerful card if they can maintain that, especially if it consumes as little power as they are implying, this could be a sweet card.

Yes indeed, that is quite pricey. I'd consider that as possibly having the early-adopter-pre-release-ordering-premium charge applied.

Continue with expectations, this is interesting. Nightbringer21 sounds very reasonable. I've heard people elsewhere demanding 50% better than GTX580 or FAIL and stuff like that. Some people seem to always have crazy expectations for new generations of hardware. Just wondering what people here think about it.

We'll just have to wait and see what improvement there is (if any). :)

Fanboys will be fanboys.

Looking forward to the review on this though, not that I will be able to afford it, I will be rocking my 6870 for a long while to come.

What i do expect? I already told once, roughly 20% above 580 GTX might be possible considering the much more effective manufacturing process. Its 28 nm vs. 40 nm, and we know close to no data but they will be 28 nm thats pretty sure. 28 nm does allow for lesser heat vs. 580 GTX and therefore even if AMD barely improved the performance of the architecture, it still should be ahead of the 580 GTX, but how much is the good question. I think the difference is same such as 6970 vs. 580 GTX but now it goes upward that ladder...

I think the "true" SPU amount could/should be at around ~1900 for the 7970, and the 7950 could be at around ~1700. However, thats combined with higher efficiency on the entire architecture so its 20% from the SPUs and another 20% from the rest of the architecture, simply a harsh and funny guessing. However, generally i would already be happy when the GPU finally will just annihilate the 580 GTX, even if it does only beat it by 5%, beaten is beaten, thats the spirit which brings a Radeon and finally AMD further.

Sure, Nvidia will counter and so on, thats called competition and its fun to have. Although AMD will have aswell the time to work on even more improvements. However, its still good to be slightly ahead and allows for better price and sells, thats why the 580 GTX was a huge successor, even if it isnt mainstream (and for most people simply to expensive). How much AMD can charge for surely depends on the performance, and that one is simply unclear yet. Im fully certain that it cant be compared with the BD flop, its a Radeon, not a ... we know how to call it so i rather keep shut about. But, the improvements can be on many spots, it can be power efficiency (i have a huge need for, SFF and Notebook users will adore that, because the GPU is the hottest piece by far), not just performance. Improvements are something which isnt always clearly visible when it isnt focused on raw performance. Points at the 5000 vs. 6000 series. Both had about same performance in most cases but, the 6000 series had a higher power efficiency and was first choice for all users who are fighting with to much cookie-burners. The 480 GTX aswell performed great, but what a flame-thrower, it can burn every small PC into pieces.. when used excessive.

What i can say for now: I thank AMD for making such a weird fuss and surprise short time before Christmas, because it surely is heating up almost everyones blood and thats surely a nice present.

Last edited:
Fanboys will be fanboys.
That's what I'm loving about our members; they seem to be nice and reasonable. Nightbringer21 and now Ivy, both with seemingly realistic expectations. No crazy proclamations of do-this-or-fail or demanding what would seem to many rational people as impossibilities.

I heart OCF and its members!!! :grouphug:

That's what I'm loving about our members; they seem to be nice and reasonable. Nightbringer21 and now Ivy, both with seemingly realistic expectations. No crazy proclamations of do-this-or-fail or demanding what would seem to many rational people as impossibilities.

I heart OCF and its members!!! :grouphug:
What if I said I want the power of a tri-sli GTX 580 kit? Hmmm? :eek:
I just want a kick-*** card that's more powerful than a GTX 580. Nuff said. :attn:

Well, above 580 GTX surely sounds most reasonable if we take out any speculations and what else, and finally its all we was looking for.

Hope it truly will be revealed tomorrow, surely interested.

@thobel: Dont think you truly need so much GPU force for, but good luck with. Ofc i know the feeling, it makes me sleep well when i never need to care about "to weak" anymore, just put it in and it goes sane. :)

As for games, i remember 5 years back, i truly had to care about game settings and always had to "tweak" around at the cost of picture quality. Nowadays, i stick the game inside, and the first thing i do is to move any graphic slider to the max, and then im gonna play and... ah smooth stuff, i simply can afford to eat crackers. I truly feel very satisfied. Once you got that feeling, its hard to get ride of that demand anymore.

Last edited:
What's the hype, in your guys' eyes?

Just curious.

I have to say that there is hype surrounding every significant update to hardware. In all honestly it is really hard for anything to EVER live up to its given hype, particularly with an enthusiast crowd.

This goes for a lot of things not just computer hardware.

But hey I'm happy with steady and stable progress :p

I'll be hanging on to my 6850's a little longer I think...Until I do a full rebuild there's no point in upgrading for me. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how the new series does in benchmarks though.

I'm just hoping, well, expecting, the card to be better than a 580. As for how much better, I have no real expectation and I'm patiently waiting for reviews to come out. If the card is released before Christmas, I plan on buying it before new year's. A new computer is my Christmas present to myself this year, already got cpu, mobo, ram, heatsink and case. I've skipped the past two generations as my 4870, and later pair of 4870s, provided ample performance for the games I played. Now that BF3 is out, I need something much more powerful.

Back