• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heat? MOBO? CPU? Please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Primus

Please help. First time here. Just built my fourth system, doesn't work as it should. Here's the situation: BRAND NEW system - mobo+cpu+RAM combo bought together, rest separates.
DFI-AK76 mobo (DDR 266FSB etc)
AMD 1.33G 266FSB cpu (AYHJA)
Tai-sol heat sink (CGK742092)
Sparkle 350W PS
256 MB PC2100 DDR RAM
ATI Radeon 64 M video
IBM 40G 7200 HD
Plextor 16/10/40
(I have removed all other cards etc.)
Dual boot WinME and Win2K sp2

On first assembly, could not complete installation of Win2K, Win98 or ME at all (random errors, BSD etc). Then turned off all internal caches in BIOS, took 3 hrs, but installed win98 (later upgraded to ME and dual boot with win2K). I then turned on caches, tried optimized/fail safe/normal defaults in BIOS, errors again. Cleared CMOS, flashed to latest BIOS, replaced RAM with a new stick (Kingston), changed video card to an ATI Expert 8 MB, still crashes, reboots, BSD etc, at random. I then did what the manual says I shouldn't, changed the mobo CPU-FSB jumpers from 133MHz (266DDR)to 100MHz (200MHzDDR), which is the mobo default. The dip switches SW1 and SW2 are on auto setting. BINGO! Everything works! However, the cpu is underclocked at 1.0GHz. Careful exam of the cpu reveals it is indeed a 1.33GHz AYHJA chip. So why won't it run at 1.33? I then looked at the cpu voltage and temps. Here's the problem, as I see it:

With jumper at 100MHz (200DDR):
Core temp steady at 35 for several hrs.
Vcore = 1.77
2.5V = 2.58
3.3 = 3.3
5V = 5.07
12V = 11.82

With jumper at 133MHZ (266DDR):
core temp shoots up to 50 within 5 mts in the BIOS screen, I shut the thing off.
Vcore = 1.78
2.5V = 2.58
3.3 = 3.28
5V = 5.05
12V = 11.88

I checked the HS and cpu, the thermal paste is dry, there doesn't seem to be anything between the HS and cpu core. The placement however, is OK (removed and replaced it myself - carefully!), and the HSF works normally.

So, why doesn't the system work the way it should? Is it the heat? Why should the system not run even if the cpu is say at 50 or 55? Why does the cpu heat up so much in an AC room with the case open, case fans blowing away (I have an extra), heatsink of reasonable quality, good power supply, and all settings as they should be. Does the thermal paste make such a difference? If so, why does everything work so well for hours in the underclocked state? Please help, I am going crazy. And sorry for this lengthy post.

try re-appling the thermal compound, like as-2 and up the voltage to 1.80-1.85 but watch the temps. Is the chip 200 FSB or 266?

Is it the heat?

The first line of the CPU core etching reads A 1333 A M S 3 C. I think the C stands for a 266FSB, so I guess it must be that.

I will try the thermal paste (AS2) tomorrow. Still a puzzle as to why it will POST but not complete boot up or if it does, crash again at 1.33GHz.

Thanks again for such a promp reply.

When you are first booting are you running at stock speeds? Most setups will not run correctly when overclocked AND installing an OS.

No overclocking

No, I never tried to overclock. The problem is that the cpu is a 1.3G 266FSB chip but will not run at that speed. It only works at 1.0GHz at the 200FSB setting. If I set the jumpers at 266, the machine will mostly not boot or crash at random, and the cpu temp goes up too as mentioned in my original post. Elsewhere on the net I have read reviews of the same DFI-AMD combo and there have been no reports of problems.

I am really puzzled. Any suggestions?

answer

If your running an OS install with temps in the 50c then that is why. You need to buy a new FAN HS and some ASII and your system will run like a charm. You CANNOT put a HS on an AMD without some kind of thermal paste or sticker. It will overheat and break.

1.33 and DFI combo not working

Thanks for all the input. I got the Radio Shack thermal paste and sure enough, the cpu temp is now steady at 46. However, still it crashes or reboots and only works like a charm if underclocked down to 1.0GHz.

The mobo seems fine, the PSU is very good, cpu is not overheating, so is it the memory? I tried two different memory chips, from Kingston (value RAM) and a Samsung that was supplied by the vendor, both 266 FSB chips. Should I spend the extra money for Crucial RAM and try that?

As always, appreciate your help v much.

Back