• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatercore blower, where to buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fhorst

Registered
Hi All,

I’m looking for a centrifugal blower 12v DC, something like :http://www.ebmpapst.us/allpdfs/G2G097.pdf

"max 120mm diameter", with “no” dBA (virtual silent) and a large as possible CFM.

The total dimensions must be around 150x150x150mm (incl. motor, preferably the motor is placed “inside the rotor” to save space, and to get a bigger performance.)

I tried just about every electronics shop in the Netherlands, as I understood that these kinds of blowers are used there.., but no one can seem to help me with it. .

One problem might be is that the intake can only be from one side. (it needs to suck air through a radiator), and then blow it through an other one.
A lot of blowers I can find on the internet (manufacturers) have on 2 sides an intake. But I guess I can work around that with a special kind of “duct’

The blower has to be at least 75 cfm, preferably more, but as long as it is SILENT at 75 cfm. (No problems to adjust the voltage)

Standard fans are no problem to find, I have enough PAPST fans (12cm, 8cm etc) but they just can’t give the pressure needed, or if they can, they are sure not silent!

I’ve been thinking to use the blower of a car (I bought me a used one from a car dump), but my problem there is that the only have a 50 mm rotor (diameter 148 mm) and the rest is 120 mm for the motor. That’s for me a sure waist of space.
I cleaned the used blower with WD40, and it was silent for about 8 hrs, no it starts to make a constant whirl. One other problem with the car ones, is that they don’t have a housing..

I’ve been looking for about 2 weeks now, and I’m unable to find one. I’m getting quite desperate.

This is the setup I want to make. http://members.chello.nl/l.vanderhorst1/rad+blower.JPG
I want to build this in the top of a http://directron.com/da10bd.html case.
In the bottom, there will be on other rad, at the intake.

Some of you might feel that it is overkill to place that much radiators, but well, I want to keep it as cool as possible, and I’m planning on watercooling just about all that gets hot.

My blower will be, aside from the PSU, the only thing that will be moving air.

Help me out here! Where can I buy a good blower?

As far as finding the exact dimenstions you want you may be best buying a motor and squirrel cage parts (automotive salvage yard or shop will carry them) and build a shell around it out of sheet metal to your sizing. I actually inquired into this a few days ago and got quite a lot of good info in response here
car blowers will be good too because they run 12v, so you can hook into a PSU and also volt it down to 5 or 7v, making it quieter.
You won't get absolutely silent, but it will be as if not more quiter than an axial fan with much better flow.
Search on ebay for blower, and heater blower and blower motor, those will bring up lots.
I'm still looking around for one that works for me.
Hope this helps

Go to ebay...
do a search on 'blower*'
you'll get a whole bunch of automobile results... they are mainly performance pieces that aren't what you need. Click on the 'business and industrial' filter and you'll get what you want. You should be able to find a 115v blower with all the power you need. Dimensions are a little harder but you should be fine with the list that ebay provides. Otherwise, shroud it up ^_^.

a blower with the two intakes can be converted to just one intake by just blocking off the one side. it shouldn't hurt your preformance too much

I found some info : http://members.chello.nl/l.vanderhorst1/blower.JPG
These are the "small car" ones.

And from other cars: http://members.chello.nl/l.vanderhorst1/carblowers.doc

Also http://members.chello.nl/l.vanderhorst1/wals-blower.jpg
15dB!! 240x115x80mm. 80 m³/hrs, 220v (20 euro's)
looks nice, but how the @$#@$# can you mount?
Where is the intake? and where does the air go out..?
I could use 2 by side, and "duckt" the air to the rads?

Also possible http://members.chello.nl/l.vanderho...nhuisblower.jpg
Ventilator, z.g.n. , from JAPAN SERVO CO, 24 volt d.c. 10 watt, at 24v about 90 m³/hrs, thick :33mm, diam.:123mm, blow out :60x30mm, ball baring, ...€8,-

I could use 4 of them... run at 12v

I work at Autozone, if you have one in your area just go there and they will probably let you look through what they got, at my store they range as low as 13 bucks for them.. not all include the squirrle cage though , but worst case senero just pull one out of a car in a junk yard.

fhorst, will your box be air tight? If so, all you really need is a fan and a shroud to blow air out of the vertical radiators. If the fan and shroud are made air tight to the radiator, it'll cause suction through the horizontal radiator (if the case is air tight).

ah, never mind. i see what you are trying to do. making it air tight will be difficult for the bottom radiator unless you make a case within a case. Problem with those squirrel cage fans is that I've never had a quiet one that moved a lot of air.

Your design is going to take the heat from inside the case to cool the radiator. Radiators work best if it gets cool, fresh air. If you would redesign, I'd recommend getting a Chevy 396 Camaro heater core and build an aluminum shroud for two 120 mm fans. Mount the radiator at the top of the case (either punch out two 120 mm holes or a big rectangular hole). You can mount the fans over the radiator and hang it from the two holes in the top or hang the fans below the radiator and mount the radiator directly to the top. Either way, have the fans blowing/sucking air into the case and not out. You can use two Radio Shack AC fans for this. They move around 60 cfm and are real quiet. The radiator is big enough to dissipate at least 1500 btus, so should be enough to handle everything inside the case. It has a 3/4 inch inlet and 5/8 inch outlet so moving water through it won't be a problem.

Just for your consideration.

Check out THIS thread from the cooling forums. Scroll down and take a look at what Cathar did (there are pics) and his descriptions. You may be able to PM him for some advice. Good luck!

Thanks all for your replies.

A few comments on the replies: I chose this design, especially to use the pre-heated air from my system. With all my gear, I don’t have a problem with water temperatures. The temperature in the case will be an issue (other chips, RAM memory, mosfets etc).
So if I move enough air, it will only be little above ambient. I will place a rad at the intake also, as a last rad before the loop moves to my CPU. The water that reaches the last radiator will be as cold as possible, and won’t heat up the case a lot.
The big chieftec will be it. No extra space to mount anything outside. I will be building “a case inside a case” for the 3 radiators.

All I want it just to have the damm thing silent. I need to figure out a way to get rid of my “OTES” fan from my Abit IC7-Max3. I hate the noise that fan makes. I have from my siverado cooler a small blower, and I’m thinking on mounting that one on the back, letting it blow the air inside. (kills the purpose of the OTES, but at least my mosfets will be cool)
Or I could also just remove the OTES, and see if my air movement inside the case is enough. Did anyone try?

I went to the shop, and bought me both types, (figured I could always bring them back ;-)

The http://members.chello.nl/l.vanderhorst1/wals-blower.jpg is GREAT! 15 dBA, that's what I call a silent fan. Just one big, major catch..... They seem to be used for wind curtains, you have in shops e.g. and as long as the thing has a FREE air flow, it's fantastic.

If I limit the intake, or outlet, only a little bit (1/6 part) the noise goes up quickly.
It’s just sits there, free spinning, without moving air on the restricted section.
That thing just can not take ANY pressure, on either side.
So I have to take it back :-(

The http://members.chello.nl/l.vanderhorst1/24volt-slakkenhuisblower.jpg moves enough air, but is NOT silent; it can run at the lowest on 6v, but then still makes a lot of noise.
I have to take them back also… :-(

Looks like I’ll be stick with normal (Axial) fans. They also have 170mm x 50mm fans, 220v I’m thinking of getting those. (one at the bottom-front for intake, one at the top-back as outtake.

With the 50mm width, I’m hoping to be able to create enough pressure and airflow, at a silent speed. (Just will use a light-dimmer to adjust fan speed)
Here is a picture of the 170mm fan: http://members.chello.nl/l.vanderhorst1/170.jpg

I understand what you are saying, but remember this: a watercooling system will only get as cool as the air that the radiator is in. If the radiator is in warm air, the water can only equalize to that temp. Using the warm internal air will only make the water that temp. The second radiator can only help to get to that same temp. In order to get the water colder, you'll really have to move a lot of cooler, outside air into the case or go to an active cooler such as a peltier or prommy.

As for air flow, I have a Lite-on FS020 case with three 120 mm fans. I put two 150 cfm deltas on the back and an 80 cfm on the front. At full speed, I get a lot of the heat out of the case, but it is still not as cool as the air outside the case. And it is deafening.

So, since you are concerned with noise, I don't think that you will achieve your goal with that design. If you mount the horizontal radiator in a hole in the door or top mount it, it would work better.

Don't get me wrong, your design will work, but will not work as efficiently as possible. If you look at the Swiftech quiet case, it is designed basically like yours is: it uses the case air to exchange heat with the radiator. I've always wondered why the design doesn't work too well. The smaller Koolance system beats it hands down. But the components in that Swiftech system are better than the koolance pieces and when used in different applications, work very well.

I'm sorry if this sounds like preaching. I'd be very interested to see how your system comes out. :)

ps. btw, 1500 btus is about 833 degrees centigrade.

By the way fhorst, you would probably get alot better response on this in the cooling forums....especially the watercooling section. Cathar is a cooling god and he himself uses a blower from a car. He runs it at 7v and says it is nearly silent. Click the link in my post above and read what he has to say. he is usually very helpful so you may even be able to get a response from him or could PM him or something. Good luck.

Back